January 24th, 2008

Obama: Vice President Oprah?

Oprah for vice president?
Oprah for vice president?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Politicians make a lot of ambitious election-year promises, but Thursday night, Barack Obama is making a few he might have some trouble keeping: if elected president, he’ll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober" and choose Oprah Winfrey as his vice president.

The Illinois senator floats these and eight other "campaign promises" tonight as he counts down the daily Top Ten list on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

The most recent in a series of candidates to yuck it up on a late-night talk show, Sen. Obama will also propose putting Regis on the nickel and appointing Mitt Romney "secretary of lookin' good."

In the pre-taped segment of The Late Show, Obama warned Letterman not to try to "muss [his] hair," like the talk show host did to John Edwards when he appeared on the show Tuesday.

–CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Full list after the jump

"Barack Obama Campaign Promises"

10. To keep the budget balanced, I'll rent the situation room for sweet sixteens.

9. I will double your tax money at the craps table.

8. Appoint Mitt Romney secretary of lookin' good.

7. If you bring a gator to the White House, I'll wrassle it.

6. I'll put Regis on the nickel.

5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober."

4. I won't let Apple release the new and improved Ipod the day after you bought the previous model.

3. I'll find money in the budget to buy Letterman a decent hairpiece.

2. Pronounce the word nuclear, nuclear.

1. Three words: Vice President Oprah.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Lauren

Michelle Obama was not on the board of Wal-mart. She was on the board of a company called TreeHouse Foods Inc. that is a Wal-mart vendor.

January 25, 2008 12:22 am at 12:22 am |
  2. b

CHILDREN! CHILDREN!
    The world is watching!

January 25, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  3. Loyd

Go Obama!

He gets my Vote hands down!

I hope if for some reason he doesn't win the nomination ( But I think he will),
    then maybe he'll decide to run Independent. If nothing else, it would split the
    party and totally ruin any chance Hillary has of winning. I won't vote for her. I'd
    vote Independent, or as bad as I hate to say it... Republican, before I'd vote for
    her.

January 25, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  4. Mike in Kentucky

"Jess January 24, 2008 10:17 pm ET

Before the fray starts, please remember that these are jokes. Let's at least keep our sense of humor."

Indeed, let us remember that these are not position statements, but rather attempts at humor, some of which were successful. And not written by the Obama campaign...

I am an ardent Clinton supporter.

Don't hate, but Hillary in '08!

January 25, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  5. Truethis

Some of you that haven't notice these are only jokes.......you guys are just totally ignorant. You Clinton lovers should be watching the Republican debate and be very very concern.

January 25, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  6. Thomas Henson

It's no mystery why Oprah backs Obama. At least John Edwards had a sense of humor, what a jerk.

January 25, 2008 12:49 am at 12:49 am |
  7. Caesar

Look out!
    People are already saying Clinton vs. Mccain. Remnicent of FOX news claiming Bush was winning Florida, not Gore – ring a bell?
    Here we go again.
    Gosh we are stupid people...
    No wonder we appear as arrogant idiots to other countries.

January 25, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  8. dp

Wow... why does everyone keep saying Clintons?
    If you had any idea of our political system, you would know Bill can't run as VP, he's already served two terms in office as president, so if Hillary were to die (plz plz happen!) he couldn't become president again...

January 25, 2008 01:00 am at 1:00 am |
  9. Steve

Mr. dushyanth patel

I'm sure your country loves Hillary... she and her husband gave you a good chunk of U.S. jobs... NAFTA anyone?

January 25, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  10. Eman

Obama is full of crap and Oprah is a joke. It's too bad she's indirectly made this a "race based on race". It's clear that she's going through an identity crises, digging into her past, setting up this school in South Africa etc. She was great as a talk show host, but tainted her image (in my opinion) by taking up politics, and making a "talk show" of it.

Go Hillary. I admire her determination, her desire to improve this country for EVERY American, and bring the country back to the international admiration that it used to have.

January 25, 2008 01:38 am at 1:38 am |
  11. Ryk

You know I can't stand Oprah. Everything about her annoys me. That being said I would vote for her over anyone the Democrats have put forward and if Obama did select her for VP I would probably vote for them. Unless the Republicans nominate Ron Paul.

January 25, 2008 01:39 am at 1:39 am |
  12. dee

I don't think Obama will work for all people. I'm voting Romney.

January 25, 2008 01:43 am at 1:43 am |
  13. Renee

This is a young man who feel that he can run this country like the others and to run Obama down like the Clintons are doing and everyone eles is evil and unjust. Give the man a chance. On a personal Level, Obama would and could run this country and Obama woiuld be very effect.

January 25, 2008 01:53 am at 1:53 am |
  14. Bobby, Tucson, AZ

...This isnt even an issue...he joked....go do something consructive instead of cry about hilary or obama or all the others....whaaaaaaa

January 25, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  15. *****

January 24, 2008
    Romney: 'I'm not concerned about voters'
    Posted: 11:15 PM ET
    (CNN) – It’s a sound bite that probably wouldn’t play well without any context.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Mitt Romney said during Thursday’s presidential debate.

The statement came during a back and forth with moderator Tim Russert, after Romney was asked how much of his own money he has donated to his presidential campaign.

"We'll report that on the 31st of January, as required by law, and probably not a minute earlier. You'll just have to wait, Tim," Romney said.

"But why not tell the voters of Florida and across the country how much of your own wealth you're spending, so they can make a judgment and factor that into their own decision?" Russert responded.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Romney replied. "I'm much more concerned about the other guys on this stage. And we have some competitive information that we make sure that we use for our own benefit.

"But I can tell you this: I've raised more money than any other Republican in this race — raised more," he added. "Friends of mine have come together, people I knew in high school and helped raised money for me."

January 25, 2008 02:04 am at 2:04 am |
  16. Sam, Chicago, IL

As I always tell my Wife:

Oprah is evil!

She'll fit in nicely in politics.

January 25, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  17. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

Richard, – I would strongly suggest that you go to Obama 08 and click on
    issues at the top bar, then read Barack's position on the economy alone
    it will take you 10mins. to read or in your case maybe 15mins.

You are a typical no research clintonista who shouts loud falsehoods
    simply because you Richard are a bigot at heart.

And you don't have the courage to just say it.

Unfortunately, there is nothing funny about that.

Richard the last of the dinosaurs!

January 25, 2008 02:17 am at 2:17 am |
  18. Susanin

Why does everyone ignore Edwards? It's the media's choice, and all the people go along with it. Our number one goal needs to be to make sure the Republicans are not in the WHite House next year, and if either Clinton or Obama is the candidate, there will be a huge turnout to vote AGAINST either of them. Wake up everyone. The only one (and the polls show it) that consistently beats any Republican and will not be devisive is John Edwards. Give the guy a chance, give him press coverage, give him your vote!

January 25, 2008 02:18 am at 2:18 am |
  19. Nancy

The jokes on Letterman are not the problem, we can all have a little fun. But when it is time to get serious, Obama has nothing substantial to say as a Presidential candidate. He is a great cheer leader and gets the crowd going, but he doesn't seem to have any concrete plans or ideas. It is all still a cloudy haze. He talks about the hope he can bring, but what he will bring, no one knows. The problem is, I don't think he knows.

January 25, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  20. will

obama without hillary or this dem votes republican. hillary supports need to realize you she can not beat the dems,ind, and republicans all at the same time.
    30% of dems actually can not stand hillary

January 25, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  21. Tony, Enterprise, Alabama

That is so funny...

But seriously, just another reason to NOT vote for Obama.

There is a huge group of Americans (that work in the afternoon) that cannot stand Oprah.

Let's see, Clinton/Biden or Clinton/Edwards or Clinton/Bayh...
    verses Obama/Winfrey.

Not even close!

January 25, 2008 02:30 am at 2:30 am |
  22. Brooke

Love his humor! GO OBAMA!!!

January 25, 2008 02:33 am at 2:33 am |
  23. Nancy, Dallas TX

Obama is an empty suit. He should enjoy his 15 minutes of fame cuz in another few weeks he will be the new Howard Dean.

January 25, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  24. JamieT

Let's see if Hilary can distort these facts?

Am I the only one getting sick of it or what?

January 25, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  25. cam

This guy is the joke. He just does not know it yet,

January 25, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |