January 24th, 2008

Obama: Vice President Oprah?

Oprah for vice president?
Oprah for vice president?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Politicians make a lot of ambitious election-year promises, but Thursday night, Barack Obama is making a few he might have some trouble keeping: if elected president, he’ll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober" and choose Oprah Winfrey as his vice president.

The Illinois senator floats these and eight other "campaign promises" tonight as he counts down the daily Top Ten list on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

The most recent in a series of candidates to yuck it up on a late-night talk show, Sen. Obama will also propose putting Regis on the nickel and appointing Mitt Romney "secretary of lookin' good."

In the pre-taped segment of The Late Show, Obama warned Letterman not to try to "muss [his] hair," like the talk show host did to John Edwards when he appeared on the show Tuesday.

–CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Full list after the jump

"Barack Obama Campaign Promises"

10. To keep the budget balanced, I'll rent the situation room for sweet sixteens.

9. I will double your tax money at the craps table.

8. Appoint Mitt Romney secretary of lookin' good.

7. If you bring a gator to the White House, I'll wrassle it.

6. I'll put Regis on the nickel.

5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober."

4. I won't let Apple release the new and improved Ipod the day after you bought the previous model.

3. I'll find money in the budget to buy Letterman a decent hairpiece.

2. Pronounce the word nuclear, nuclear.

1. Three words: Vice President Oprah.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Ray

These appearances on comedy shows, talk shows, etc. are a good thing and give us an opportunity to see another side of the candidates. They are not the bread and butter, but it's interesting and fun. Obama made some jokes (that he probably didn't write) – just go with it.

I hope those of you supporting Clinton realize there's a very good chance she will, if nominated, lose in the general election. Look at the numbers. If she runs against McCain, I think it's 4 more years of the GOP in the White House. I'm all for voting your conscience, but really, can we stand 4 more years of this path we're on?

Meanwhile, those who might vote for Obama (who the numbers say has better odds) get distracted by talking points. I swear, some of the comments I read here must be pure cut and paste. You don't even bother changing the words around to make it look like you thought it up. Shame.

Good luck to us, and take care...

January 25, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  2. Mark

It's Letterman, why take it so serious? Anyway, Obama is really no better or worse than any of the other candidates in either party... except for Clinton. ANYBODY BUT CLINTON! She scares me and my pets.

January 25, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  3. ScaredDemocrat

Democrats, read this and read this carefully. If you allow Hilary to win the primaries, we're in for another 4 years of a Republican leading this country. There is no question when it comes to this.

Obama is a inspiration and unifier, that includes Republicans and Independents. I'm just afraid our country will learn this too late.

January 25, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  4. Ram

How about this one ? I will rename Alabama as Obama !!!

January 25, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  5. Ram

I meant AlObama

January 25, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  6. Stu

It is refreshing to see that a presidential candidate actually has a real sense of humor. However, many of the comments here prove the point that we are sadly lacking in the education department given the number of functionally illiterate rants posted. It's "Ramadan," you pinhead. And, hey, CNN moderators. If you're actually doing anything, could you keep the racist scum off the blog?

January 25, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  7. Heather Peterson

I'm from Michigan, so my vote in the primary didn't count. Obama and Edwards took their names off the ballot in fairness; however, Mrs. Clinton did not. (Just in case the delegates do end up counting.) I find this unethical. Clinton supporters could vote for her, but Edwards and Obama supporters could not vote for their respective candidate.

I find Barack's wit, intelligence, eloquence, and honesty refreshing and look forward to voting for him in the general election.

January 25, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  8. alan

The jokes are on the Republican side.

It's just so comical watching them try to somehow sidestep (whatever you do, don't say his name!) the last two decades dominated by failed Bushx2 (oops there you went and said it!) leadership to try to somehow reinvent themselves as Reagan.

Barack or Hillary – either would be so much better for the country than any of these Republican jokes

January 25, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  9. Sam IA

I have read these posts and the overwhelming hate perveyors seem to be Obama supporters. I suspect they are hate radio addicts posing as Obama supporters.rather than actual Democrats. Go whomever is the nominee of the Democratic party!!!

January 25, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  10. HIllarySupporter

GO HILLARY!!! Barak is a whiner and unable to take a stand. Will he simply show up to the Oval Office and sign in as he did in the Illinois legislature or will he make decisions?

HILLARY 'O8

January 25, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  11. Mark

Why is our country's politics so partisan... and so hatefully so? I am totally disgusted with the Clintons and Mitt Romney for exactly this reason. Mud-flinging is a playground tactic. Why can't we have a government that acts like adults and unifies for the good of it's people?... I guess for the same reason Britney Spears and K-Fed are front page news on CNN.com; because not enough people are disgusted enough with it to stop supporting making it profitable.

January 25, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  12. Frank

"obama played the race card black people always do it when needed"

I find it funny that a Hillary supporter said that, and had the nerve to call Obama and Oprah racist in the very same sentence. I'm a black man who voted for Bill twice and would have a third time if it were possible. But Hillary is not Bill, and I'm not voting for her. Both my mother and my fiance were planning on voting for Hillary until they saw the debate on Monday. Now we're all voting for Obama, not because he is a Black man, but because he is the best person for the job!

Obama 08!

January 25, 2008 02:58 am at 2:58 am |
  13. Thai from Louisiana

I guess some of you must walk around with sticks up your butts. It was nothing but a joke. Laugh and get over it. Or but yet, GROW UP!!!!

January 25, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  14. TJ

The GOP thanks you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 25, 2008 03:18 am at 3:18 am |
  15. Susan-VA

OH PLEASE!!! Come on America! We couldn't possibly have forgotten already about all the lies, corruption, and scandals a Clinton Administration was (and will be)! They will promise anything to get elected! Whatever happened to the health care plan promised while Hillary was first lady??!! Hillary has no plan on how to regain American jobs lost to outsourcing. (Thanks to Bill's part in giving them all away with his signing of NAFTA.) We need a candidate that REALLY stands for change! OBAMA 08!!

January 25, 2008 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  16. Dave

Arrogance and a sense of entitlement are not the things we need in our next president (hillary). We need somebody who is inspiring and truly believes in uniting the country and eliminating the division in politics. Enough with the Clintons and the Bushs. I don't want Hillary to win just because she thinks she is great. I want Obama to win because he thinks this country is great. Huge difference.

January 25, 2008 03:22 am at 3:22 am |
  17. Jonathon, Colorado

Michelle Obama never served on Walmart's board, she served on the Board of a company (Treehouse Foods) that sold it's product to Walmart. Hillary served on Walmart's board, a company with extremely questionable ethics and policies. That's a substantial difference. Obama, Edwards or Hillary would all do a better job then the best GOP candidate.

January 25, 2008 03:24 am at 3:24 am |
  18. DM

I sure hOpe I can call him President Obama someday. I BELIEVE!

January 25, 2008 03:26 am at 3:26 am |
  19. Jerome

I realize the "Oprah for VP" was just good clean fun on a late night show, but think about it, Oprah for VP versus what we have now serving as VP; it dosen't sound so ridiculous now does it?

January 25, 2008 03:27 am at 3:27 am |
  20. Kate

He doesn't have a lot of experience to show for so he settled on what he does best, being 'likable'.

January 25, 2008 03:30 am at 3:30 am |
  21. Tlc

I would vote for him simply because he promises to correctly pronounce the word nuclear. The fact that he is the best possible candidate is just icing.

January 25, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  22. Tim, Miami, Florida

"Reality Check", It is irrelevant whether Obama wrote the Letterman list, was given it in toto by the Letterman people or given a longer list from which to pick and choose the jokes he liked and perhaps add some of his own. This is simply light-hearted fun and an opportunity for the electorate to view a different side of their candidates.

January 25, 2008 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  23. Foreign National

To censored again, nice post! Don't feel bad, I am censored also!

Anyway for me the headline is not clear it is a joke, but when I read the article and understand it is Letterman and the Top Ten, I realized it is a joke!

Anyway for comments of the voting record, an added piece of information, also Obama has 'not voted' 254 times as a senator in Washington in his first three years, so regardless of what a 'present' vote means in Illinois, in Washinngton, it means sitting on the fence, or complete irresponsibility.

You can check on congress.org the voting records of all congress and senate members. In total, no candidate in Republican or Democratic side have missed as many votes as Obama, and he is a senator for only 3 years, and others are serving more than twice as long, still missing less than half as many as Obama!

January 25, 2008 03:38 am at 3:38 am |
  24. eric

barak hussein obama for president...oprah as vice.

January 25, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |
  25. john

You must be joking to think that Clinton or Obama would name the other as their Vice Pres. They will 100% not ask the other, not because they dont like each other, but because they will want to bring someone that brings something that they lack to the table. Hil/Obama, either one will win the NorthEast, Ill, Michigan, etc, West Coast against the Republicans. They will want to bring in someone popular from the South West! Esp if McCain is the Rep. canidate. Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada; These are the states that the Dems have the best chance to turn blue. (or Missouri/Iowa) I am gussing Gov. Richardson (who just gave up pres run)

January 25, 2008 03:39 am at 3:39 am |