January 24th, 2008

Obama: Vice President Oprah?

Oprah for vice president?
Oprah for vice president?

WASHINGTON (CNN) – Politicians make a lot of ambitious election-year promises, but Thursday night, Barack Obama is making a few he might have some trouble keeping: if elected president, he’ll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober" and choose Oprah Winfrey as his vice president.

The Illinois senator floats these and eight other "campaign promises" tonight as he counts down the daily Top Ten list on "The Late Show with David Letterman."

The most recent in a series of candidates to yuck it up on a late-night talk show, Sen. Obama will also propose putting Regis on the nickel and appointing Mitt Romney "secretary of lookin' good."

In the pre-taped segment of The Late Show, Obama warned Letterman not to try to "muss [his] hair," like the talk show host did to John Edwards when he appeared on the show Tuesday.

–CNN Associate Producer Rachel Streitfeld

Full list after the jump

"Barack Obama Campaign Promises"

10. To keep the budget balanced, I'll rent the situation room for sweet sixteens.

9. I will double your tax money at the craps table.

8. Appoint Mitt Romney secretary of lookin' good.

7. If you bring a gator to the White House, I'll wrassle it.

6. I'll put Regis on the nickel.

5. I'll rename the tenth month of the year "Barack-tober."

4. I won't let Apple release the new and improved Ipod the day after you bought the previous model.

3. I'll find money in the budget to buy Letterman a decent hairpiece.

2. Pronounce the word nuclear, nuclear.

1. Three words: Vice President Oprah.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Wiggz

Oh one more thing...
    Too bad Edwards isnt as popular as the others because he's talking about the issues that mean something to me.

January 25, 2008 04:41 am at 4:41 am |
  2. eric

barack hussein obama is future president, hillary rodham clinton for vice.

January 25, 2008 04:45 am at 4:45 am |
  3. thescoundrel

LMAO that is a pretty good Top Ten. Much better than the normal Letterman junk. But I fear the Clinton's will probably start spinning the Oprah comment. You cannot blame them. It is only natural for a politician to use those statements as canon fodder, it is part of their nature, just like it is the nature of a rattlesnake to bite when it gets an opening.

January 25, 2008 04:47 am at 4:47 am |
  4. David Laranjeira

Nice to see Barack keeping his head above the fray with some humor. The Republicans would love for Hillary to be the Democratic candidate because she is so polarizing. If it comes down to McCain vs Clinton, God forbid, I guarantee the majority of regular everyday people would vote for McCain. Obama vs McCain would be a different story. Obama is the only candidate capable of uniting this country and putting it back on the path to greatness.

January 25, 2008 04:51 am at 4:51 am |
  5. merkuree

Why not Obama?

I mean, the guy has ideals, a fresh approach and an can do attitude that has not yet been tainetd by washington.

Why not vote for him, why not give him a chance.

I mean seriously, the clown that got elected last time has done nothing but shame the US around the world.

Let's give Obama a chance. This country needs a leader with some vision and conviction.

And the country deserves better than Hillary.

January 25, 2008 05:01 am at 5:01 am |
  6. Ian (Minneapolis, MN)

I was just waiting for some crazy Ron Paul supporter/bot to comment on this. Lo and behold, it was within the first 5 postings that I read.

I love that these fairly uneducated kids can't seem to get it in their head that there's no way he'll ever win the nomination. Wake up, emo kids, and do some more legit research!

January 25, 2008 05:17 am at 5:17 am |
  7. The Observer

Why is an entertainment news story in the politics section?

January 25, 2008 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  8. Mark

The Republican party is devisive, the Clintons give new meaning to the word devisive. Obama is the brightest star out there that can unite this faltering Nation. If not the Dem. nomination, I hope he joins Bloomberg and starts a legitimate third party and turn partisan politics into fertilizer.

January 25, 2008 05:20 am at 5:20 am |
  9. Tom, Boston MA

Now, I'm getting seriously PO'd again about Obama.

He actually wrote to his constituent that the nation needed Fascist laws at the moment?

Until he says he made an critical error of judgement, the good people of America shoull never vote for him or Billary who outwarmongers Bush / Cheney to expand war beyond Iraq into Iran and Pakistan.

January 25, 2008 05:21 am at 5:21 am |
  10. Anthony

Wow, to the gentlemen regarding Barack making a good VP for Edwards. Luckily Edwards will never get the nomination. Never fear, Edwards will be back to wrongly suing OB/GYN's.

This was a great piece of humor. I am sure the Clintons will pick something out of it as they do with anything. I love the Mitt Romney secretary of lookin good!

January 25, 2008 05:28 am at 5:28 am |
  11. John D.

Barack Obama is full of promises without any substance, knowhow and experience. Everything what comes out of his speeches is dictated to him by a team of clever public relation marketers. After a disastrous 8 years of Bush domination, vote for experience and not again for a dreamer!!

Vote for double experience, vote Hillary!!!!

January 25, 2008 05:30 am at 5:30 am |
  12. Paul Pan

I am looking forward to a President who can finally pronounce the word "nuclear" :)

January 25, 2008 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  13. Penny

The more I read this blog the more convinced I am that hilary supporters are illeterate, naive and narrow minded. Must be the same kinda morons who voted in Bush not once but twice!!

January 25, 2008 05:33 am at 5:33 am |
  14. David

Does anyone realize that many of these comments are coming from the Clinton campaign? This is looked at as public forum so political spinners can say anything. I garuntee you every presidential campaign has at least one person who provides spam comments on every major news site. My advice to anyone who's reading this would be not to listen to anything you read in this forum.

And, if you do get riled up about something, why not research it for yourself. "Free speach?" Yah right. More like free advertising.

January 25, 2008 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  15. Mike in Kentucky

Can someone, please tell me, what Obama wants to do to America, and how he wants to do it?

Change, Change, Change,...but from what.to what , and how...?

Words are insturments of meaning, but what meaning are they suppposed express...?

I must confess...I don't quite know...hope...and good feelings...goodwill to all men...

yada, yada, yada!

I hate to be dated...but I need more than this.

January 25, 2008 05:43 am at 5:43 am |
  16. Barbara

Can anyone take a joke and not get bent all out of shape obviously not.
    Obama is trying to reach the young people who watch Letterman just as Bill
    played the sax on Arsenio Hall. Obama as president has a chance to fulfill J.F.K and M.L.K.'s vision of the dream they had for a future president think about that people and let's get on with the work that lies ahead in order to accomplish that goal instead of wasting time fighting with each other the future is now.

January 25, 2008 05:48 am at 5:48 am |
  17. Joe

Go OBAMA!!! Help us Obama-One, you're our only hope.

Clinton is not what America needs. We need Hillary Clinton like we needed George Bush.

I put all the 'Stupid' People (to quote the British press) who voted for George Bush in 2004 in the same camp as the Stupid People who vote for Hillary Clinton in this Primary and possibly (hopefully NOT) the Presidential Election. You'll be doing great harm to America,

The Force is strong with this one, Obama.

January 25, 2008 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  18. Crazy Redhead

Now that Dennis Kucinich is out of the race, I'm not voting for ANY of these clowns.

They all want to drop bombs on poor brown people.

They will not repeal the Patriot Act.

They will not bring our troops home from Iraq.

This is ridiculous. Completely ridiculous.

And I still say that we'll be seeing "President McCain" by the time all this is over.

January 25, 2008 05:53 am at 5:53 am |
  19. Danny

I can't beleive the silly and childish comments people post, first of all it's supposed to be a humor-filled laughing matter, second being elected as the next president is a real headache with the 300 billion dollar deficit which will be a trillion dollar by next year ..... thanks to the war? and ofcourse the recession that's getting knee-deep,banks,real estate markets,stocks, dow jones etc.
    Being elected is the easy part, once you're in the oval office your migrane and blood pressure will start working on you, not to mention your heart beat will miss it's rythm .... be it Obama,Hillary,McCain,Mitt ??? honestly kinda scary who is who.
    But one thing for sure, it's definetely not going to be a republican.

Obama for 2OO8 or Hillary & vice president Bill Deja vu all over again : )

Danny A.
    Los Angeles, CA.

January 25, 2008 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  20. Erin

I cannot believe that there is so much hatefulness over a JOKE. Come on, people. Just because he is running for President doesn't mean that he cannot have a sense of humor. Good Lord – what is this world coming to? At least he isn't trying to summon up some fake tears like some other candidate...Hillary anyone?

OBAMA 08!

January 25, 2008 05:54 am at 5:54 am |
  21. Han Ke

I am very sad. The more educated, the more support Obama. Though Obama is the best one to propell the education and do good to the poor.

For a selection, the sane person has the same power as the uninformed man fallen asleep. Too sad.

January 25, 2008 05:57 am at 5:57 am |
  22. Godfrey

It's time for a populist ticket: McCain – President & Obama -V-President

January 25, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  23. Barbara

Wake up people is right Al Gore will endorse Obama the clear
    choice for our next president . Al Gore's expeirence with the Clinton's
    speaks volumes there you have it. Al Gore will wish to move forward
    enough with the Clinton's....the future Obama'08

January 25, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  24. Anonymous

To amurcia:

All I can say now is god help if Oprah becomes VP, but it will never become
    reality

Oh, ya think????

January 25, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |
  25. Bill

All in good fun.... In all seriousness, Barack, become President. Take Edwards as Vice.......

January 25, 2008 05:59 am at 5:59 am |