January 25th, 2008

Florida senator to endorse McCain

(CNN) - Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida will endorse his Senate colleague John McCain for the Republican presidential nomination, the Arizona senator's press office said Friday.

Martinez is a Cuban-American who immigrated to the United States at age 15.

Filed under: Florida • John McCain
  1. AJ, IL

Who? Martinez? Is he a superdelegate?

This is like saying Hector Jimeniz ( = made up name) endorses McCain.

January 25, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  2. Big Brother 2008

John must have told him he would take back Cuba by force and open a Casino in his honor.

January 25, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  3. Earl

HA! Mr Amnesty himself is endorsing McCain. Like a dog to his vomit!

January 25, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  4. Dave

At least the GOP are not punishing Republican voters like the Democrats are to Democratic voters in Florida's upcoming primary Tuesday. But then again, maybe they're concerned about Murphy's Law after 2 Florida debacles.

January 25, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  5. josh 7911

Well i bet this time around they'll get those voting machines fixed particularly in the African American neighborhoods. Than McCain will rightfully lose to Obama!

January 25, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  6. Jack

Stands to reason...they are both weak on law-breakers. Illegal immigrants!

January 25, 2008 03:49 pm at 3:49 pm |
  7. West Coast Conservative

After watching the debate last night, how could anyone be UNDECIDED in Florida?

President Mitt Romney was amazing! Can you see McCain or Huckabee beating the evil empires of the left?

Romney will eat the libs alive!

Clinton, Obama, Edwards... get real!

January 25, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  8. David

Notice how all the politicians are endorsing John McCain because he is in congress. Everyone wants him to win instead of an outsider who might come in and change things up. All the scummy politicians are afraid that Romney is going to come in and expose all the junk that they have been doing. No wonder they want McCain. Endorsements have become so meaningless.'

If I was a Politician I would endorse anyone but Romney.......

If I was a voter I would endorse Romney

Wait, I am a voter......I endorse Romney

I ENDORSE ROMNEY IN 2008

January 25, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  9. Jr., California

Pack it up Rudy.

January 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  10. sam

Glad to seee the support for McCain. He is deserving of it regardless of what Rush Limbaugh says. I think Limbaugh needs to call it quits. I used to like him but lately he is just a big mouth.

January 25, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  11. tmess

Actually, the Republicans are punishing Florida (and Michigan, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and South Carolina). All of these states have lost half of their delegates to the Republican Convention.

January 25, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Matt

Of course - makes sense - one senator endorsing another - "scratch my back / I'll scratch yours...." that's exactly why we don't need McCain in the WH.

January 25, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  13. Steve

John McCain is irrelevant. He is propped up by the media.

January 25, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  14. JIM CARTER

We are gonna need someone to build the great fence so maybe a little Cuban help could fill the bill

January 25, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  15. David, Santa Maria, CA

Of course he backs McCain, the political crooks all stick together.

January 25, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  16. Robert Bell

John McCain is a decent and honorable man.

They'll cream him, probably. Good people don't survive politics.

All you end up with is Clintons.

Which is worse than Herpes.

January 25, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  17. Thomas Chacko

Bravo, "Big Brother 2008" - I laughed out loud when I read your comments! I'm wondering - did "Maverick" McCain promise to send troops into Havana to grab Elian Gonzalez? If Johnnie-boy makes it to the White House, he may appoint such favoured Congressional thugs as Martinez, Ros-Lihtienen, and Diaz-Balart to high-level diplomatic posts. I'm sure Marilyses and Donato the "fisherman" have been promised something, as well! Viva Batista!

January 25, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  18. jim from tampa

Rudy best choice; He deserves chance; More so than Romnery / McCain and the Huck

January 25, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  19. David

If I was a Politician I would endorse anyone but Romney…….

If I was a voter I would endorse Romney

Wait, I am a voter……I endorse Romney

January 25, 2008 05:58 pm at 5:58 pm |
  20. Justin, Burlington MA

Of course McCain will get the endorsement of Senators. I'd be shocked if he didn't. He's one of them!!! Washington insiders will always want to support other Washington insiders. These are McCain's 'co-workers'!!! It's no shock that government officials and the liberal media by and large pick McCain. The Republican electorate however has by and large chosen Romney. I look forward to a McCain defeat to Romney next Tuesday in FL.

January 25, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. charlotte

Here we go, the Cuban-American vote.

January 25, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  22. Robert Buhts

John McCain is too old and a war mongerer. He needs to retire to Mitt Romney's Garden Of Eden, which is in Missouri. Rudi is a mean and vindictive person, not to mention a public adulterer! The only stand-up guy for the republicans is Ron Paul.

January 25, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  23. Anti Clintons

Who cares who supports mad Insane McCain, the lib media just like him becasue he is the closest to the lib side that there is, not a true conservative at all.

Romney 08!

January 25, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. America Forever

If I wanted amnesty for all my relatives, I would vote for McCain too.

ROMNEY 08

January 25, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  25. VahMonter

Senator Martinez understands what it will take to move America ahead.

In contrast to his intended message, Romney's ad reflects why we need to have McCain as the Republican nominee. For all but four of the past thirty-two years, the White House has been occupied by a former Governor. The result has been gridlock and partisanship rather than progress and cooperation on the issues important to the American people.

Mitt Romney is wrong for the Republicans and wrong for America.

In 2008 we need to elect a President who has spent time in the U.S. House or Senate and understands that real change comes from working with others rather than ranting and raving about how Washington is broken. While the premise of Romney's criticism is essentially correct; little has been done to address a multitude of problems, we do not need another former Governor with no experience in the legislative process.

January 25, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |