January 25th, 2008

Florida senator to endorse McCain

(CNN) - Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida will endorse his Senate colleague John McCain for the Republican presidential nomination, the Arizona senator's press office said Friday.

Martinez is a Cuban-American who immigrated to the United States at age 15.

Filed under: Florida • John McCain
  1. Anonymous

I LIKE MCCAIN AND I'M NOT EVEN A REPUBLICAN. AND, WHAT'S WITH THE ETHNICALLY RACIST REMARKS HERE? I SURE HOPE THAT IS NOT THE STANCE OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.

January 25, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  2. JB

Well, that will teach me for voting for Martinez. Won't be doing that again, Mel.

January 25, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  3. Scott

The more I hear about McCain from his detractors, the more I like him. I am a Huckabee guy because my top issue is abortion. McCain is strong pro-life but Romney, of course, has been back and forth on the issue depending on which way the political winds are blowing. He is the GOP version of the Clintons. Folks mock McCain, but he's ten times better than Romney and Giuliani - both folks I would never vote for.

January 25, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  4. Tom, Boston MA

CNN, you can't handle the truth?

The truth is, Insane Bomb Bomb Bomb McCain is anything but a hero. He will be a real hero when he comes out and says "i am sorry for all the criminal and immoral killings i am directly and indirectly responsible for, from Vietnam ro Iraq."

You can't handle the truth, CNN. I dare you.

January 25, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  5. sriram

Jon is a decent & honorable gentleman...

January 25, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  6. Gilbert Marv

My VOTE is for a Man of Faith, John McCain,
    He will be good for America.
    My second choice is Mike Huckabee, a real man of GOD.

Yes, i believe in GOD, and Jesus.
    God Bless these TWO men.

January 25, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  7. mr.fair tax

NO McCAIN--ROMNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HE BEATS THE HILDABEAST!!!!!

January 25, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  8. IN-SANE McCAIN

Democrats want an easy opponent like McCain.

McCain just wants to get his hands on those nuclear weapons.

McCain moms explains why he is such a loose cannon.

January 25, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  9. Samual Adams

John McCain,Ted kennedy whats the difference? they are just two old guys who still belive in open borders and outsourcing Americas jobs to China. Wake up fellas free trade and illegal immigration are the issues only losers support.

January 25, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  10. tom

McCain is the only way the Republicans beat Hillary! I will be voting for him. Romney is a total phony, he'll say, do, and spend anything to get elected.

January 25, 2008 11:41 pm at 11:41 pm |
  11. Steve

I am an illegal alien and I endorse this message.

McCain for illegals.

January 26, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  12. Big Brother 2008

Scott************ It must be nice not to have a worry in the world exept abortion.This is the very reason the abortion issue should be put on a referendum before the voters and ended once and for all.It is used as a wedge issue every election to the detriment of everyone.The Republicans will never change it because it helps them win the evangelicals. I am not pro abortion but this is an issue that should not be in the political debate every 4years.

January 26, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  13. Angela

Scott, your top issue is abortion???
    How about all the dead soldiers and and the deficit and the economy and health care and eduction, etc. .... do you really think that if we outlaw abortions then somehow everything else will be alright, that they'll just work themselves out?? Get real.
    Think about the mess this country is in after 8 years of really bad leadership?? How can you fixate on that one issue?? I almost envy your simplemindedness.

I guess that saying "Ignorance is Bliss" is actually true.

January 26, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  14. Joy

I think McCain would be as easy as Ron Paul would be to be defeated by the Democrats. I think Romney and Huckabee would be a good team.

January 26, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  15. Heather Peterson

Most of us dems are not happy with Hillary and her electability is in question against Senator McCain. Please nominate him so I don't have to vote for Mrs. Clinton.

January 26, 2008 02:29 am at 2:29 am |
  16. Tony Soprano, Italy

McCain has some good stuff. I worry about the amnesty and keating 5 scandals. After looking at all these candidates, Ron Paul is obviously the best. I studied these guys for over a year. What I did was, I made a "corruptability scale" and Ron Paul was the least likely to be corrupted. This is taking everything into consideration.

January 26, 2008 06:36 am at 6:36 am |
  17. G. Aye

That "wet stuff" you've been seeing all over your local streets lately is Democrat Drool. They can't wait to see "The Patsy", John McCain's name on the ballot for this Nov. The media loves Democrat LANDSLIDES!

January 26, 2008 06:55 am at 6:55 am |
  18. jim

McCain may very well be the only honest person running for president. While I don't agree with all his positions I will vote for him.

January 26, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  19. Huh???

Sam Adams......... quit drinking your own product. The unions are getting our jobs outsourced to China

January 26, 2008 09:47 am at 9:47 am |
  20. lol

Political blog comments are worse than YouTube comments

January 26, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  21. Alfred Akana

This is for those who mentioned that the Democrats had a Florida debacle. The Republican controlled US Supreme Court stepped into a state election & gave the election to George W. Bush. And, lo & behold, the news medium later accounted Florida should have gone to Gore. At least, Gore would not have told lies for invadind Iraq. It has cost our country over 500 billion (not million) & nearly 4,000 lives for this venture. How come the Republicans are not paying for this venture out of their own pockets, but including us Democrats. Too bad Bush & Cheney have no sons to fight in Iraq. Thank you Baker and all you dupes for being part of this Florida conspiracy. And, this Bush is still liked by Americans for what he has done. Not only is Bush a liar, but a cheat as well. Who ever the Democratic standard bearer will be, he or she will be the next president. In fact, any Democrat will be better than the Republican.

January 26, 2008 10:32 am at 10:32 am |
  22. Gary Larson

"Senator McCain, you have said repeatedly, quote, 'I know a lot less about economics than I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.' Is it a problem for your campaign that the economy is now the most important issue, one that by your own acknowledgment you're not well versed on?"

McCain replied, "Actually, I don't know where you got that quote from."

Actually, the quote came from a 2005 piece by Stephen Moore, in which McCain said: “I’m going to be honest: I know a lot less about economics that I do about military and foreign policy issues. I still need to be educated.”

McCain also said this, per a December 2007 Boston Globe article: "The issue of economics is not something I’ve understood as well as I should. I’ve got Greenspan’s book.”

________________________________________

Some leader... And this guy has been voting on National budgets for 25 years and admits he doesn't know much about Economics. This is pathetic.

January 26, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  23. Vi

Mc Cain really wants to run our Country. Who ever gets the nomination, they won't be able to run us into the ground any further. How much more damage can be done? I think Bush has done a very good job at ruining this Nation. I believe that we should develop a Hall of Shame for Presidents. Instead of a Library Bush should go into the Hall of American Shame. No one will be able to read anything in his Library if he ever gets one. Every paper will be TOP Seceret. What a mess our next President will have to Cope with.

January 26, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  24. WPNSGY

Tom from Boston must still be lost in a drug induced haze Senator McCain is the only canidate that has proven an ability to work with the opposition for the good of the country Hmmm isnt that what everyone is complianing about the last 16 years?? Romney looks good but he has a hard time telling the truth and looks to be a republican Gore. Our only hope is McCain 08

January 26, 2008 12:28 pm at 12:28 pm |
  25. floridian

Well, looks like we will have to mount a campaign against, hopefully, Ex-Senator Martinez next time around. Why doesn't the Senate just go about and do their work and leave the picking of presidential candidates to the people? Obviously, Martinez is trying to sway the block of voters he is aligned with and I am one who does not appreciate such a tactic. We've seen enough of it with the Democrats!

January 26, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |