January 25th, 2008

Huckabee says Cuba immigration policy should stay

(CNN) – Earlier this month, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee said he favored a hiatus on immigration from countries that appear on the State Department’s list of terror-sponsoring nations, including North Korea, Sudan, Syria and Cuba.

But campaigning in Miami’s Little Havana on Friday, he seemed to describe a slight amendment to that position, endorsing the existing U.S. policy which allows Cuban refugees who set foot in the country to remain here.

"We have a very distinct policy when it relates to Cuba one that I think we should continue, and that is if you get a foot on dry soil you should be able to come here,” said Huckabee. “I wouldn't do anything to change that policy one iota. My policy on Cuba has been absolutely crystal clear, and we wouldn't change that."

Cuban-Americans are a major voting bloc in Tuesday’s GOP primary in Florida.

–CNN’s Eric Fiegel and Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: Florida • Mike Huckabee
  1. Tom, California

Why aren't people up in arms about the flip-flopping? If Romney said this, people wouldn't stop talking about it.

January 26, 2008 12:18 pm at 12:18 pm |
  2. Phil Memphis, TN

Is this guy really still running?

January 26, 2008 12:48 pm at 12:48 pm |
  3. charlotte

As soon as S.C is over we get to hear about the Cuban-American voters and Fidel Castro and those illegal aliens. Can't wait!

January 26, 2008 01:02 pm at 1:02 pm |
  4. jyfranca

mike If i were you I'd start campaigning as running mate of McCain you have proved to be qualified for Vice Presidency.I like your South Carolina speech on Mccain victory I remember Edward said the same about kerry and he got the ticket.You are good person.I like you

January 26, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  5. Tom Masters

I hope you win bro! I love on your fair tax, and you were right to turn Russert off when he said it was highly unlikely, it was highly unlikely that a few boats would leave England and become the only world power.

If you were the nominee I would vote for you.

I like what that other guy said about Romney being a wolf in sheeps clothes, haha.

Hey, I can't vote for McCain, but if you make him your VP then some dems and indies would vote your way too and you could take out the Clintons, who I'm voting for (or Obama) if Romney is the candidate.

January 26, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  6. ag

VIVA Huckabee !!!
    and this is from a cuban-american.

Mike is the best option.....FAIR TAX works for the cuban-americans as well !!!

January 26, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  7. Kristy Sanborn, Buckhorn, Mo.

Hudson, I wondered that myself, why? Why for one country but not the others?

January 26, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. LQ, Rochester MN

Hudson, I agree completely. Just pandering for the huge Cuban-American vote in FL. Keep out the poor Mexicans but we have different rules for Cuban-Americans because we all hate Castro! Give me a break!

January 26, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |