January 25th, 2008

McCain: I'm sending Sly Stallone to take care of Chuck Norris

Huck has Chuck and now Mac has Sly.
Huck has Chuck and now Mac has Sly.

(CNN) - Earlier this week, martial arts star Chuck Norris questioned John McCain's ability to serve as president, because of the Arizona senator's age - at 72, he'd be the oldest first-term president in American history.

At Thursday night's debate, McCain had a response for the action star, who has endorsed Republican rival Mike Huckabee:

"Now that Sylvestor Stallone has endorsed me, I'm sending him over to take care of Chuck Norris right away."

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: GOP debate
  1. AJ, Iowa City, IA

It is about time!! Stallone and Norris... How petty these two are!!!!

January 24, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  2. Jess

I am pretty sure Chuck Norris would win that fight. At least this debate didn't turn into Jerry Springer.

January 24, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  3. Karen

McCain... war good
    Giuliani.... Ronald Reagan, 9/11
    Huckabee.... pundit and chump
    Romney.... I'm prettier than Hillary

I'm still waiting for a candidate. sigh!

January 24, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  4. Derrick

Why were there minute by minute updates from Bill Schneider on the debate of the Democrats in SC, but no similar series of updates for the debate of the Republicans?

January 24, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  5. Roger from MA

How come every post about a Republican candidate has to have the obligatory comments from the Ron Paul brown shirts, complaining that the media isn't paying enough attention to him or them?

The media isn't paying attention to him because he's a racist, paranoid kook, and nobody in the real world takes him and his views seriously! I know that when you surround yourselves with loonies who stockpile weapons and talk about how the Zionists control the governmet, that it's easy to convince yourself that there are millions of people who share your beliefs, but trust me, you're in the minority. I'm not even going to discuss his obsession with the gold standard, despite the fact that dumping it brought America from economic stagnation to unparalleled prosperity.

You guys were wrong about Clinton calling in the UN to patrol our streets, you were wrong when you stockpiled food in your underground shelters in anticipation of the Y2K incident, and you're wrong now - GET OVER IT!

Go McCain!

January 24, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  6. Frank

It's sad to see the old gentleman making a fool of himself. But it's downright scary to hear him rant about how many more people he wants to sacrifice just to satisfy his own militarism.

January 25, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  7. Big Brother 2008

It doesnt take much to side track the voting public does it?.

January 25, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  8. Howard, NY

I'm not a Ron Paul supporter, but he makes a lot of sense when he talks about the economy and foreign policy.

January 25, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  9. stan pitts pa

wow best line of the night...mitt: i cant imagine the clintons back in the white house and bill having nothing to do, ouch that hurt!

January 25, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  10. Randall Riddle

stallion will ramboo the heck out of norris, see if your kicks can stop rambo's machine guns baby!!!! lol

January 25, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  11. John Allan

Ah, the tag team of Mac and Cheese are finally sending their mouthpieces to attack each other. Priceless.

Is this a junior high skit?

Give me a candidate of substance.

Give me Mitt Romney.

While Mac and Cheese have Chuck Norris and Sylvester Stallone, Mitt Romney has quietly racked up more endorsements from members of the US Congress than any other GOP candidate. See for yourself on Wikipedia.

January 25, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  12. Chris in Va.

What a field of idiots!!! Write in NONE OF THE ABOVE in '08!

January 25, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  13. come on now

guys
    everyone seems to get these political ticker blog entries confused with major headlines.

its a BLOG
    its supposed to be up to the minute politics
    little stories
    fun little bytes that wouldnt necessarily make their way onto the front page of CNN OR the front page of the New York Times.

CNN reporters do know what the real issues are- theyre over on the front page for you to find.

lighten up.

January 25, 2008 12:19 am at 12:19 am |
  14. Mike in Kentucky

OH MY GOD!

I have to tell you...I am a Democrat...and a Hillary Clinton supporter and I am so happy that you are debating the relative facility of the competing martial arts styles of these two Republican gentlemen...surrogates of the candidates.

It makes me even more sure that we will control the government after 2008.

You have not a clue! :-)

January 25, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  15. Elliot

Summary of the debate:

Giuliani: "My platform is simple: it's just the opposite of what the New York Times writes about."

Huckabee: "Chuck Norris supports me."

McCain: "Stalone is on my side."

...these are the people running to hold the highest position of the executive branch of our government.

Are Romney and Paul the only two candidates that care enough to stick to the issues?

January 25, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  16. Frank D

As long as Iraq War is on, it will be very hard for the economy to recover . Get out of Iraq now!!!

January 25, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  17. Ethan

dude, how could selvester stalone take care of chuck norris? i mean, it is chuck norris for pete's sake. no one can beat chuck norris, ever

January 25, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  18. Loyd

Clarkson, your too generous. Sly wouldn't last 15 seconds.

January 25, 2008 12:37 am at 12:37 am |
  19. Tony

Stallone...I've loved his movies for years. But his endorsement does NOTHING for me. Why would I have any interest in following Mr. Stallone's political views and preferences? He's a friggin' actor with nothing better to do with his time...it's just a way to find time in the spotlight. He can't possibly be genuinely interested in the real issues facing our nation. Remember...a celebrity's endorsement means NOTHING more than the one vote he or she can cast in the booth, which is exactly the number of votes I can cast. One!

My vote will be for Gov Romney. He's distinguished himself as the clear conservative voice and the right person to strengthen our economy, continue to wage the war against terror and protect our borders, and lead our country. Go Mitt!!

January 25, 2008 12:39 am at 12:39 am |
  20. steve addison - wilmington, nc

Not funny, these guys want to play games, let them play with themselves. Huckleberry and McLame are old useless bureacrats who like to do alot of talking ... and their records show failed liberal policies.

January 25, 2008 12:41 am at 12:41 am |
  21. Ted

Isn't Stallone a draft dodger?

January 25, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  22. Nicholas Kent

Not only would Chuck Norris roundhouse kick Stallone in the face leaving him for dead but we could also counter the effects of global warming. If harnessed correctly, one Chuck Norris roundhouse kick could power 10 000 homes for one year.

January 25, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  23. Thomas Henson

What? What the heck is this crap? This isn't news! This isn't politics either. Chuck Norris vs Sylverstet Stallone? Alien vs Predator? Why don't we have them compete using Batman and Superman? Do me a favor CNN, don't ever print crap like this again; it is an insult to the intelligence of myself and all of the United States.

January 25, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  24. Magliovelli, Menlo Park CA

McCain should send his mother to take care of Chuck Norris. She looks to be immortal, though not aging well.

January 25, 2008 12:47 am at 12:47 am |
  25. Ted Chang

Isn't Stallone a draft dodger? McCain just lost any chance at my vote!

January 25, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |