January 25th, 2008

McCain: I'm sending Sly Stallone to take care of Chuck Norris

Huck has Chuck and now Mac has Sly.
Huck has Chuck and now Mac has Sly.

(CNN) - Earlier this week, martial arts star Chuck Norris questioned John McCain's ability to serve as president, because of the Arizona senator's age - at 72, he'd be the oldest first-term president in American history.

At Thursday night's debate, McCain had a response for the action star, who has endorsed Republican rival Mike Huckabee:

"Now that Sylvestor Stallone has endorsed me, I'm sending him over to take care of Chuck Norris right away."

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: GOP debate
  1. JAM

Oh goody! Two Botoxed senior citizens in a "rock em sock em" knock down match! Talk about excitement!

January 25, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. lou gar

When will the media get it? I`m a democract who is still waiting for an honest candidate to step up.The Clintons have tarnished the party badly and will never get our vote.Obama is okay,but not ready yet. I`m leaning to Romney out of desperation for a clear focus on the future.Dont forget,if we`re too strong to be defeated by armies,we can still destroy ourselves from within as history will play itself out once more.

January 25, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. Richard, St. Paul, MN

Norris for Huckabee, Stallone for McCain, and doesn't Romney have Pee Wee Herman?

January 25, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  4. Darth Vadik, CA

an old guy, sending another old guy to kick another old guys but!
    can we just fetch all of them some slippers?

January 25, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  5. Mark Cross Junction VA

Rocky VS Walker Texas Ranger! What a headliner. I'm paying 3.00 a gallon of gas and these idiots feel this is the most important issue facing the U.S. Get rid of every canidate both democrat and republican and start over.

January 25, 2008 11:41 am at 11:41 am |
  6. Lizzie

Why in the world should actors/actresses be used to try and sway votes? Um sorry but I don't care what their opinion is.

January 25, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  7. Bil TGH, Streamwood, IL

Heck, John McCain doesn't need Sly. The good senator's mother is far more than Norris could handle ... and the best thing is that no one can tell her what to say!

January 25, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  8. Darth Vadik, CA

Wait a minute, I thought Hollywood was the left wing lunes!

January 25, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  9. Carol

Turn of the caps lock morons.

January 25, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  10. Kris In Atlanta

Is this supposed to be newsworthy? One ancient, 1970's-1980's movie star endorsing an ancient, Civil War-oops!-I meant, Vietnam era fossil? Both Stallone and Mccain are out of touch with reality: Their time is long gone and neither of them respresent anything other than a bygone place in time.

January 25, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  11. Don, Akron OH

In reading these forums, I've discovered what's wrong with America. Attack and insult anyone who isn't your guy ... the other party is stupid ... blah blah blah.

Stop snivelling and claiming "I'm right, everyone else here is wrong!" Present your argument for your candidate and stop bashing everyone else to make it look like your choice is the only one that could ever work.

The two party system sucks.

January 25, 2008 12:03 pm at 12:03 pm |
  12. Bob, Seattle

Fun quip. Good sense of humor. Right on.

January 25, 2008 12:27 pm at 12:27 pm |
  13. Lev Klinemann, CA

I like Stallone, and despite how he talks, he is actually a very smart guy, but I just don't agree with his politics.

I can't agree with someone who is willing to keep our troops in Iraq for 100 years (I know McCain said it, but if you lend your support to a candidate, that means you agree with it too).

January 25, 2008 12:29 pm at 12:29 pm |
  14. G-man

I love his sense of humor!

January 25, 2008 12:42 pm at 12:42 pm |
  15. History lesson

McCain presidency is doomed, the moment he said he would keep our troops in Iraq for 100 years.

If people think that a lull in the deaths of the US service men and women because of the surge is permanent, are making a grave mistake. People in the middle east dont forget, and although "laying low" for a while, they won't stay there long. I have read the history of the middle east, even from the times of the crusades, they may have lost at times, but they have never stopped fighting back. We have miss-judged the Iraqis because of the desert storm campaign.

The crusaders found that out, the Brits found that out, and McCain will find that out.

If there was something to win in Iraq, I'd be there myself, there is nothing there to WIN. So I will swallow my pride and say: BRING OUR TROOPS HOME.

January 25, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  16. USMC 98-05

You know what Stallone, when you are in an actual war, everybody knows how to shoot, and you don't get 15 takes to get it right.

January 25, 2008 12:55 pm at 12:55 pm |
  17. Brooke

I LOVE JOHN MCCAIN! He's the only deserving candidate for president. He is an authentic American hero, the only one who's served in uniform, and the only one who has proven his dedication to America. GO MCCAIN! All the rest of them can go to....

January 25, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  18. Ivan Drago

Stallone may have endorsed McCain but ...

Rocky & Rambo have both endorsed the strongest candidate in the race: Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton !!!

GoHillaryGo!!

January 25, 2008 01:06 pm at 1:06 pm |
  19. Mel Springfield, Oregon

That's too funny! HA! You go guys! Bring on the excitement!

January 25, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. jw, canadian,ok

What the morning line on Sly vs Chuck?

January 25, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. BabyMagic

Good line Mr. McCain. I actually got a chuckle out of it.

As for the reason behind not seeing a "blow-by-blow" of the Republican debates it is because they are BORING! Softball questions, no real answers to speak of, and the same old middle-aged (or older) white guys standing around waiting to be President. It seems to me the Repubs are just sitting back waiting to see who the Dem nominee is because they believe that no matter who it is, they will get the voters who are voting AGAINST Clinton or Obama since the Dems are so divided and are constantly stating that if Obama/Clinton wins I'm voting Republican. Don't feed into the same old, same old; vote out the Republicans and vote Democrat no matter who the candidate is. I fell into the trap myself and stated that if Obama was the Dem nominee I would vote Republican. I realize how stupid I was being and know that is not what is good for this country. I am a Clinton supporter but would vote for any Democrat over any Republican not matter who the nominee is. I truly believe it would be the best thing for the country and I hope that others gain their senses and realize it too.

PS – This doens't mean I won't take some jabs at Obama or Edwards, or even Clinton, if I see something that bugs me. It just means I believe a Democrat is the best candidate for President.

January 25, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. Todd

Hey, I heard McCain is going to start doing ED commericials soon. You know, just like Bob Dole. Anyone else hear that? lol.

January 25, 2008 01:56 pm at 1:56 pm |
  23. Chim Chim

Since we are getting fictitious characters into the debate, and the American public actually have a statue to a fictional boxer (Rocky), I say we start bringing in cartoon heroes for endorsements.

Count Chocula is for McCain, Capn Crunch is for Huckabee.Johnny Quest endorses Giuliani, and George Jetson is all for Romney. I will leave you all to argue over who can kick whose butt in a fight.

Seriously, we are the laughing stock of the world.

January 25, 2008 01:59 pm at 1:59 pm |
  24. PRB

Wait till they find out that Bruce Lee's Zombie Corpse supports Ron Paul. Then there's gonna be trouble.

January 25, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. Caliman

Yes, send Sly "STEROID" Stallone to battle with Chuck Norris! Really, these Republicans are a bunch of war freaks, from supporters to their leaders.

January 25, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |