January 25th, 2008

McCain's mother: 'Now I'm really popping off'

Roberta McCain thinks the Republican Party will eventually get behind her son.
Roberta McCain thinks the Republican Party will eventually get behind her son.

(CNN) – During Thursday's GOP debate, John McCain was asked to respond to comments made by his notoriously outspoken mother Roberta during a C-SPAN interview taped yesterday.

Here are the remarks host Tim Russert was referring to, according to a transcript provided by the network:

C-SPAN’s Steve Scully: This is a political question in terms of how he gets the nomination, but just from what you have seen, how much support do you think he has among the base of the Republican Party?

Roberta McCain: I don't think he has any. I don't know what the base of the Repub–maybe I don't know enough about it, but I've not seen any help whatsoever.

Scully: So can he then go on and become the nominee of this party?

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they're going to have to take him.

Scully: Can you explain?

McCain: Well, everything they've done and said. ... Now I'm really popping off, but he worked like a dog to get Bush re-elected. ...He's backed Bush in everything except Rumsfeld. Have you heard other senators and congressmen backing Bush over eight years? Find me it–give me a name. I've not seen any public recognition of the work that he's done for the Republican Party.

Responding to his mother's comments Thursday night, Sen. McCain maintained he enjoys support among the Republican base, and said he is proud of his conservative record.

"I'm proud of the broad base of support. I will continue to work in every way to show people that I have a very, very conservative record," he said. "I'm proud to be a conservative."

–CNN Associate Political Editor Rebecca Sinderbrand

Filed under: John McCain
  1. vsap

John McCain would destroy First Amendment rights and give the nation away to illegals. He is not worthy of support for President.

January 25, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  2. Vi

I think the sweet Mon loves her son and she is not seeing the support from the Repub that John gave them and she is Piooed. I think John is a little to old to be President voting for him would be a vote for his Vice President. And we do not know who he will choose. The other no vote from me for John, is as soon as his mouth opened in SUPPORT for Bush . Votes COUNT and I can't Support this Presdient or his Policies. King George leaves Jan 20 2009. Hoooorrray!

January 25, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  3. Bud, San Diego, CA

Imagining this old woman 'popping off' makes me wince.

January 25, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  4. carole

Awww – nobody's helping her poor little Johnnie!

January 25, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  5. JCIL

Chris Fischahs-

Voting Democrat in protest is not the right thing to do. Obama and Hilary are worse than any of the Republican candidates. You really should stick to the Republicans and select the best candidate from our selection. Obama or Hilary will be a worse disaster than Bush ever was!

The difference between the Democrat debates and Republican debates should be a warning for what it will be like if Obama or Hilary wins. The Republicans were intelligent and spoke about the issues last night. The Democrats attack each other personally like a reality show. I felt like I was watching Jerry Springer.

Please reconsider voting Democrat in protest. It will be a HUGE mistake if one of those fools gets into office!

January 25, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  6. Tom, Boston MA

Insane McCain,

Just come out and say "sorry I killed too many Vietnamese in one of the most brutal imperialist war in history. I am no hero."

Now that will make you a real hero.

January 25, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  7. squeakheart

McCain's not getting any help from the Republican base? I think Romney's getting less!! Everyone is so desperate to get Romney to mess up they just wait to catch him on camera and then that's what they post!! GO MITT ROMNEY!!

January 25, 2008 06:06 pm at 6:06 pm |
  8. Anti Clintons

I can never say anything bad about McCain's mom, she isn't running and she isn't an issue, she should support her son, I mean Bill supports his mom Hitlery!

mad insane McCain is not true conservative, he's baffon at best. He has served this country honorably in the military, but that is all I can give him.

He's a lib playing like he's a conservative. That is why he is a media darling becasue they love him for playing the part they want him to.

Even making a todo about how he and Hitlery are friends. Don't buy into that crap. If you vote for Hitlery or McCain, you deserve what is coming to you, more taxes, more orgies by Billy, policy mad by Billy, and another impeachment.

Hey didn't we do this already?

Obama 08!

January 25, 2008 07:07 pm at 7:07 pm |
  9. From The North

ROBERTA FOR PRESIDENT!

Now there's a woman that will make all sit up and take notice!

She tells it like is and couldn't care less who likes it! SPUNK and Moral Fibre – just what America needs! Go Roberta !

January 25, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  10. Ruth

Now what is the point of having this guys mother on here? Am i supposed to be impressed by his mother? Lovely lady she may be, but doesnt everybody have a mother?

Is your mother a direct reflection of what kind of president you will be?

Where is everybody elses mother? Be fair now CNN. You have to do an article on every candidates mother so nobody will think you are bias.

January 26, 2008 12:50 am at 12:50 am |
  11. Tom

Sorry to say but who gives a crap what she thinks? She is more then likely not completely in touch with reality on a day to day basis not to mention the fact that as a mother she is going to overlook the obvious reasons on why most Republicans cannot in good concious support a moderate/liberal Republican.

January 26, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  12. charlotte

McCain crossed party lines, the Grand Ole Party doesn't like that. McCain /Feingold, McCain/Kennedy.. need I say more.
    The GOP is a, read my lips, not gonna happen party. Prime example: the current administration. At least McCain tried to get things done by reaching across the aisle.

January 26, 2008 06:56 am at 6:56 am |
  13. Kristy Sanborn, Buckhorn, Mo.

I think his Mother is cute and one smart lady also. Did anyone note she asked for one name, and I didn't read any reply to where she got one in this interview.

January 26, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |