January 25th, 2008

Romney camp highlights McCain's ties to Dems

Romney's campaign launched a new Web ad Friday.
Romney's campaign launched a new Web ad Friday.

(CNN) - John McCain says he is the Democrats' worst nightmare, but Mitt Romney begs to differ.

In a new Web ad released Friday, Romney's campaign is highlighting McCain's willingness to work across the aisle, and his strong relationships with some Senate Democrats.

It also features news reports that claim he considered joining John Kerry on the Democratic ticket in 2004. The Arizona senator has denied those reports.

The ad is the latest effort from the Romney campaign to portray McCain as too willing to work with Democrats, and comes just four days before the Florida Republican Primary - a contest that shuts out independent voters, whose support has been crucial to McCain's earlier victories in New Hampshire and South Carolina.

On Thursday, McCain's campaign released a Web ad noting the Arizona senator's name was frequently invoked at the CNN Democratic Debate, and claimed he was the “Democrats' worst nightmare” in a general election matchup.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Florida • John McCain • Mitt Romney
  1. come on now

yeah, guys.
    you know HOW crazy it would be if we happened to elect a Republican who could get along with Democrats and work together to help make change in America.
    bipartisan politics? who wants THAT?

January 26, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  2. Lee

McCain:

His memory is very selected! He forget what he says and also what the other candidates say and then he says "half-truths". I would go as far as to say that he basically will say anything to get elected,as he "feels" he has been cheated!

January 26, 2008 04:26 pm at 4:26 pm |
  3. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

"Gov. Romney is absolutely correct. Sen. McCain is more like a Democrat than he is a Republican."

Good, maybe Romney will donate to his campaign then, just like he did to the campaigns of John LaFalce, Richard Swett, and Doug Anderson. John McCain might vote for the occasional Democratic policy, but there's some years Romney thinks we need more Democrats in Washington.

January 26, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  4. Hillphil

I am 75 so I don't care if McCain is nominated, I feel like he will end this country and I won't be here.

January 26, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  5. cbk

The 2000 democrat vice president candidate (Joe Lieberman) endorsed McCain, recently so did the New York times. Romney would have won New Hampshire if they only counted Republican votes. It is obvious McCain has been acting like a democrat for a few years. Romney is just stating the obvious.

January 26, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  6. Jared C.- in Korea

Mitt- you are the man!
    You have the experience, the leadership, and the morals we need to lead our country.
    We support you overseas!

Go Romney!

January 26, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. Wa

If McCain wins the nomination, I vote 3rd party or stay at home. He can't be trusted with our borders or national sovereignty. By him pushing for the amnesty bill last year he lost my vote forever.

January 26, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. FloraDale

Mitt is the only choice for Me...however as an Independent I cannot vote in the Florida primary on Tuesday...Please other Floridians do not fall for the Old War Vet ....I'm a leader not a manager...Gee don't you have to be able to manage your team as President AND be a leader....which I think Mitt can do well.
    McCain is a really a democrat....his work with Kennedy was scary as they were trying to throw that Shamnesty down the American peoples throats. I for one contacted our Florida Senator Mel Martinez...but of course he supported the Shamnesty and now supports McCain. My hands are tied by every turn here in Florida . I would Like to know why I couldn't change my party affiliation to Republican (so I could vote for Mitt) with over a week to go before voting day. Too many rules...I just want to vote for who I want...
    Oh Jeez... just heard on the TV that Crist is supporting McCain Now!!?? Please help me out other Mitt supporters and get Mr. Shamnesty outta here!
    GO MITT!!
    ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT!!!

January 26, 2008 07:42 pm at 7:42 pm |
  9. Mark

Mitt Romney's message, in a nutshell:

"Washington is broken. But John McCain works too well with Democrats. Working with others is no way to fix things. I'll get your job back, and I have the business experience to do it. Oh wait, that experience was all about laying people OFF and shipping people's jobs overseas. Well never mind that. My hair looks great, have you noticed? And I'm pro-choice, er, I mean, anti-choice... um, what state is this again??? I need my cue cards! Handlers, please tell me who I am today!"

January 26, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  10. Anonymous, Somewhere, MI

Yup, criticize Romney and CNN won't post your comments. Post "huh" and you'll get approved. Bias? Never.

January 26, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  11. cecimorr

Unbelievable cannot believe Cheney's daughter is backing Romney. Hard to belive she is not backing Obama, who is running under the Rainbow coalition, which is for Gay, rights. Knowing that Romney is a so, called staunch conservative and is against gay marriage and rights. What's the deal here? Or does cheney have another daughter we don't know of!!!

January 27, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |
  12. CMHinsley

A vote for Romney guareantees that Hillary or Obama, will win the Primary in Nov. There are about 40% Republicans registered in US, there 60% registered Dems. The Republicans are mostly 60 years and older. The Dems are mostly new registered l8 years and older. We need to look at the big picture and the future. McCain can clearly win either Hillary or Obama. There is a tremendous push for Obama, i.e. my grandchildren which I have nine, and l8 years older will be voting for the first time, they are jumping on the Obama, bandwagon. Keep your eyes on AZ, they are having a huge rally at the stadium Wed. for Obama, and there is talk of standing room only. The young people want change, and are saying "yes we can". McCain, is the only Rep. who can beat dems. in Nov. He appeals to all ages, independents and moderates. We have voted for Rep. since Kennedy, but if Romney gets the nod we will vote for The Demo. for president. Hoping this will not happen. We cannot, cannot trust or believe mitt, he is not believable uggg....he seems to speak from both sides of his mouth...

January 29, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  13. Dan

I've had comments not posted and I'm for Romney , SomewhereMI... and I'm all for Romney. So, don't take it personally.

January 29, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  14. Pete

McCains brainwashing techniques are not working on us...
    McCains brainwashing techniques are not working on us...

Stop with the distortions, McCain. Be honorable like you say you are, and do what is right.

Frankly, I'm with Rush .... I'm scared to death that we'll lose our standing as Repulican conservatives if McCain or Huck are elected. Sorry, but I love this country and I want someone in office who understands what the founding fathers hoped for our country.

"A republic – if you can keep it."

Vote for Romney for the sake of The People

January 29, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. Pete

Bil TGH...

Romney never said that he didn't want to 'work with the Democrats' – but he won't compromise his values and vision for this country. He will work with them and they may not like it but he will find the right solutions. He understands the vision of the founding fathers and will be true to it.

Vote for Romney – for The People