January 25th, 2008

Romney: 'I'm not concerned about voters'

(CNN) – It’s a sound bite that probably wouldn’t play well without any context.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Mitt Romney said during Thursday’s presidential debate.

The statement came during a back and forth with moderator Tim Russert, after Romney was asked how much of his own money he has donated to his presidential campaign.

"We'll report that on the 31st of January, as required by law, and probably not a minute earlier. You'll just have to wait, Tim," Romney said.

"But why not tell the voters of Florida and across the country how much of your own wealth you're spending, so they can make a judgment and factor that into their own decision?" Russert responded.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Romney replied. "I'm much more concerned about the other guys on this stage. And we have some competitive information that we make sure that we use for our own benefit.

"But I can tell you this: I've raised more money than any other Republican in this race - raised more," he added. "Friends of mine have come together, people I knew in high school and helped raised money for me."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Fred

You guys are so pathetic to put this on like this.
    You are as bad as the Clintons, taking Mitt's words, leaving out the entire context and hoping that voters get ticked at him.
    Shame on you!
    It's the worst misuse of your skills yet, CNN!
    Besides that, Mitt Romney clearly won this debate last night and there's nothing you can do but put this out-of-context comment as a headline?
    I am through with you and am so glad that not everyone looks at these articles.
    You are certainly trying to bury Romney alive and that is wrong wrong wrong!
    Get a refresher course in ethics in reporting!

January 25, 2008 07:45 am at 7:45 am |
  2. TB

Funny...

Romney spends his own money to fund his run for pres. Edwards spends taxpayer's money for his run.

It's so odd how the media would rather beat up someone who spends more of his own money than someone who steals from the public for their own personal gain.

Maybe Russert should ask McCain and all the democrats this:
    "Why not tell the voters of Florida and across the country how much of the country's wealth you are going to steal by funding ILLEGALS, so they can make a judgment and factor that into their own decision?"

Biased jerks.

January 25, 2008 07:54 am at 7:54 am |
  3. Ted from Denver

CNN is no longer the "most trusted name in news" for me. I am so disappointed about the way they have tried to bring down Romney. You want to talk about negative campaigning just look at CNN vs ROMNEY. Very very disappointed in CNN.

January 25, 2008 07:56 am at 7:56 am |
  4. Leo, TX

Keep on going, Romney-bashing media. The more you bash, the more delegates he accrues and the higher he goes in the FL polls. You'd just hate to see him get the nomination, wouldn't ya'?

January 25, 2008 08:07 am at 8:07 am |
  5. Grow-up CNN!!!

Why don't you dig a pit and watch someone fall into it so you can report about it. WHERE'S THE PROFESSIONALISM? COME ON!!!

Its probably because you support the Clinton tag team and know that Romney is the only reasonable chance the Republicans have in November. Ooh, ooh, I can't wait to have my taxes raised and send the economy into a quicker tailspin.

January 25, 2008 08:10 am at 8:10 am |
  6. Wayne, Greenville TX

That alone is reason enough not to vote for this imbecile.

January 25, 2008 08:12 am at 8:12 am |
  7. Rafi, NY NY

Let me be clear: I'd vote for Harpo Marx before I vote for Romney.

That said, why would you guys acknowledge that a comment of his sounds bad only out of context, and then use it out of context in a headline? At least you put it in context later, but once you do...there's no real news value. Are there like a dozen of you sharing one journalism degree?

January 25, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  8. michael

Russett and the editing department;why, couldn't you ask a question that has to do with governing the united States? What difference ,to the american voters, does it make how much of his personal money he is spending? Why not stop the comedy act between McCain and Huckabee and pin them down to answering the questions? All of CNN political coverage has lost credibility. If Cafferty contiues to share the same stage as the oxymoron, best political team in, unfortunately, he will also loose his reputation. Please try to remember, Report the news ,do not tell me how to think.

January 25, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  9. Lizzie

Could someone please put this guy out of the race?

January 25, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  10. Clara Gustason

This kind of reporting illustrates what is bad about the media. Of everything that was said last night during the debate, this quote is the most insignificant one the media could have picked. It is a good thing Mitt Romney has monetary resources of his own because the media is certainly not giving him unbiased reporting. I think it is admirable that Mr. Romney is willing to spend so much of his own money to try to help the American people with regards to the economy. Think about it. When did it become a negative to be successful? I would rather vote for a person who has been successful in their job and has a proven track record of fixing a state economy.

I am really getting fed up with the media's reporting during the primaries. Everyone in the media is pushing John McCain. Probably because most newspaper/TV reporters are liberals. They want another Bob Dole to represent the Republican Party, so the Democrat can win in November. The media should stop reporting their opinions and stick with the facts.

January 25, 2008 08:50 am at 8:50 am |
  11. SimonSays

What a misleading headline! Keep the quote in context people.

January 25, 2008 08:54 am at 8:54 am |
  12. Surrealist, Fort Myers, FL

So who cares?

If nobody is donating to his campaign......then mabye that will be telling enough in itself.

I don't think he could pull off the primary if he's got no financial backing...it's like an instant litmus test of his popularity among the people.

I believe he is hopelessly outgunned by MOST other GOP candidates when it comes to Presidential stature...likeability, and trust.

January 25, 2008 09:01 am at 9:01 am |
  13. John

ROMNEY MUST BE RELATED TO THE CLINTONS..

HE SOUNDS LIKE A LIAR AND HE SEEMS FAKE...HE WONT WIN THE NOMINATION

January 25, 2008 09:02 am at 9:02 am |
  14. EntertainMeDontBoreMe

How dare Tim Russert ask Prince Mitt how much Prince Mitt is paying for the Presidency! Prince Mitt is not accustomed to revealing to the common people the price amounts of his purchases.

January 25, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  15. Randy S. Lawton, OK

First of all, TB, FYI, McCain is not a democrat. Sheesh, if you don't know that why don't you keep your majorly uninformed opinions to yourself.

Secondly, I think a McCain/Romney or Romney/McCain ticket would be unbeatable. Although I prefer the first, I could vote for the second.
    Romney obviously has the business skill and economic prowess to work on the economy while McCain has the foreign policy and military background to handle foreign affairs and diplomacy with an tough but even-handed approach.

I'm currently an undecided independent voter and, while not perfect, I believe that team may perhaps be the best ticket for this country at this time.

But, that's just me.

January 25, 2008 09:17 am at 9:17 am |
  16. Brian

Of all the things Romney said last night, this is your take on the debate? CNN you are sad and pathetic. Mitt clearly won last nights debate, every pundit and even the viewers poll agreed.

January 25, 2008 09:20 am at 9:20 am |
  17. Steven

This isn't fair, CNN. The context was about how much of HIS own money has he spent in running for president. Russert wanted him to let the voters know how much of HIS own money he spent. Romney was not releasing that info until the end of the month! That was the context! CNN, your headline is misleading and unfair

January 25, 2008 09:22 am at 9:22 am |
  18. Mrjimbo, TX

Romney just earned another $50 donation from me last night.

What a low road to take CNN....total distortion of what he said..........

Romney in 08 and Beyond!

January 25, 2008 09:23 am at 9:23 am |
  19. z,new york, ny

go McCain... Romney probably can't beat Hillary. And I'm a Democrat (and Obama supporter)

January 25, 2008 09:24 am at 9:24 am |
  20. Chris, Jacksonville

I do not really support Romney.

And I am niether a Democrat or Republican....I despise both parties, but this headline and little article is completely misleading.

I actually agreed with the way Romney handled the fair yet tough question by Russert.

CNN should be ashamed to run this idiotic distortion.

January 25, 2008 09:25 am at 9:25 am |
  21. Crackbaby

Is that the scariest picture of Romney, or what? He looks like a cross between a vampire, a court jester and the Joker.

The image absolutely captures the disingenuous core of this corporate candidate for President.

January 25, 2008 09:27 am at 9:27 am |
  22. O.Please

I think the real question is why did Russert even ask that terrible question. No one would have asked Corzine that.

Russert was tactless last night. I thought another question to Giuliani was out of line regarded his dip in the polls and I didn't like the way he phrased the question to Huckabee about his religion making others feel queasy.

January 25, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  23. kane

C'mon, even Clinton knows that you gotta lie when it comes to being concerned about the voters.

January 25, 2008 09:31 am at 9:31 am |
  24. Arkansas Voter

CNN – you're pathetic. What a pitiful excuse of journalism here. I hope you go off the air and never come back. I'll never watch your sorry-excuse-for-a-news-channel AGAIN! Do you think the American people are this stupid, that they can't see through your glaring bias!

January 25, 2008 09:34 am at 9:34 am |
  25. Susan

I'm concerned about where he gets all his money. The race doesn't seem fair when one man can outspend everybody else. Sure, he cleaned up companies and made lots of money for himself and a select few, but what about all the people that came under his 'CUTS'. I'm not convinced his brand of economics – that makes some people wealthy at the expense of everybody else – is good for our country. When will he answer the question of where his money has really come from?

January 25, 2008 09:35 am at 9:35 am |