January 25th, 2008

Romney: 'I'm not concerned about voters'

(CNN) – It’s a sound bite that probably wouldn’t play well without any context.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Mitt Romney said during Thursday’s presidential debate.

The statement came during a back and forth with moderator Tim Russert, after Romney was asked how much of his own money he has donated to his presidential campaign.

"We'll report that on the 31st of January, as required by law, and probably not a minute earlier. You'll just have to wait, Tim," Romney said.

"But why not tell the voters of Florida and across the country how much of your own wealth you're spending, so they can make a judgment and factor that into their own decision?" Russert responded.

"Well, I'm not concerned about the voters," Romney replied. "I'm much more concerned about the other guys on this stage. And we have some competitive information that we make sure that we use for our own benefit.

"But I can tell you this: I've raised more money than any other Republican in this race - raised more," he added. "Friends of mine have come together, people I knew in high school and helped raised money for me."

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Mitt Romney
  1. Greg

Why do so many continue to equate CNN with the liberal side, when it has clearly gone over to covering news like FOX in other words little truth, and run by the entertainment division of thier respective companies. Ted Turner has repeatedly stated that he should have never sold CNN, which has fallen into the grip of Time Warner who gave 1.6 million to GWB's 2000 campaign. It's not liberal rhetoric or taking themes out of context. Tthe news industry as a whole is controlled by the conservative side regardless of what Limbaugh,O'Reilly, and Hannity try to claim as the Main Stream Media what a joke!

January 25, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Shawn

He means "I am not concerned about the voters [knowing how much of my own money i have spent]" Shame on CNN for even throwing this headline out there.

January 25, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. Fred, TN

His comment was the epitomy of ARROGANCE.

January 25, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  4. John

Nice bias CNN. Start talking about what's going on, don't try to steer my decisions.

January 25, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  5. Shannon Dayton

Seriously, the national media has handled the Republican race disgracefully. Romney is ahead in the Florida polls, he has won the most delegates and states so far, but for some reason McCain is getting all of the headlines and camera time. What does the establishment have against Romney? As a Republican, I have legitimate concerns about McCain's age and health–electing a 72-year-old? Is the nation nuts? What are we going to do when he has a stroke in office or breaks down with Alzheimers? I admire the fight in him, but Romney is an incredibly strong candidate and the only one I can imagine bringing down Hillary.

January 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  6. John from CT

What kind of fair journalist is Tim Russert? This is not a debate question. And if he thinks it is, how come each candidate wasn't asked? If a candidate has enough money to run for president or raises enough money (clean, not dirty) to run for president so be it. I have a question for Mr. Russert - How can you and your FAIR media DENY a PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE from taking part in a debate?

January 25, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  7. Fanta

CNN has actually been a stronger supporter of Mitt Romney than Fox News. This article is pretty lame, but CNN has done a much better job covering the GOP field without bias than Fox. Romney is finding his place and people are listening to him. He is a man of integrity and has the values of moral and ethical leadership. Mitt is the best person for the job. If this is the worst dirt they can dig up on Mitt, then bring it on!

Mitt for President 2008!!!

January 25, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  8. Rafael

I just wasted two minutes I will never get back. Thanks CNN

January 25, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  9. Katie

I am an Obama supporter, and even I think this is RIDICULOUS!!!! To complete his thought, Romney was saying, "I don't care about the voters...knowing how much of my own money I have spent. I care about the other guys on this stage...knowing how much of my own money I have spent. Come on CNN! Stop diverting the public attention from the real issues!

January 25, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  10. Dave

well, these people have slips of the tounges often so I can't chastise him for it. I'm not voting for him but I understand what he was saying.

January 25, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |
  11. WOW

I don't need the media to tell me what I heard and saw. I usually lean toward the democrat candidate but consider myself neutral because there are things about both sides that I like.

That being said, I understand exactly what Romney was saying and it was not a diss to the voters. It was a strategic move that would protect him from certain attacks from the other candidates.

Actually, he does care about the voters. He's proven that by picking up the votes in states that others took for granted and that's why he's ahead in delegates.

I'm not voting for him, at least not unless Hillary is the nominee, but he made the most sense to me when talking about the economy and he looked the most presidential out of the rest of the candidates.

January 25, 2008 11:04 am at 11:04 am |
  12. Jimbo

Wow. Romney has a serious case of footinmouthitis. He's just another rich suit who hasn't got a CLUE about what's going on in the real world. If this country elects this hollow man president then we deserve what we get.

January 25, 2008 11:05 am at 11:05 am |
  13. Skeeto

He doesn't care about the voter, only the vote.

January 25, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  14. frank

he is secretive just like his chuch.

January 25, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  15. Ripper

Eric--Bill Clinton has never cared about anyone except himself. All the proof you need is to look at how he treated his wife and child.

January 25, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  16. ANYACAT

I guess we're even then, because voters don't seem to care about Mitt

January 25, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  17. Mike in Austin

So, Romney wins the debate last night, and CNN chooses to run this nice, little commentary?

Further evidence that there's some bias against Mr. Romney by CNN...

January 25, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Gina, Baltimore, Maryland

OMG! Another Bush. Very arrogant.

January 25, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. Ben, Tempe AZ

I see nothing wrong with a thought-provoking question, which is what good journalism is all about. Keep it up CNN!!

January 25, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  20. Chris

Even though I am not voting for Romney; I agree with some other posts that his statement is being taken way out of context. Debating live on national TV makes it very hard to expand on everything one says.

January 25, 2008 11:24 am at 11:24 am |
  21. Crap article

Give me a break. That is the worst sound bite and completely out of context. He was saying he wasn't worried about the voters having that information he was worried about his competitors.

January 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  22. Zorel

CNN–you make me ashamed that I have a degree in journalism.

January 25, 2008 11:25 am at 11:25 am |
  23. kane

CNN, like much of the media, had their hopes set on a Clinton vs Giuliani presidential race. Giuliani never came close. Now they're desperately trying to get a match-up between Clinton vs McCain.

I long for the days of old when journalism was about reporting news.

January 25, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  24. Vinny

I say let him win the Republican nomination... he will be a breeze for any Democrat to pulverize.

January 25, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Let my people go...

Hillarea looks nice in that picture with the slum-lord! See Drudge....

January 25, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |