January 26th, 2008
  1. RC

jcr check the notes...it was never a race issue w/Obama...he's for everyone and not just blacks (and not all blacks support him)...Hilary and Mr Clinton made it a race thing...and it didnt become a race thing until NC...plus, why wasnt it a race thing in Iowa??...its only about race because of the large majority are black... from the ticker he is winning but by a small margin

January 26, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  2. Amy in Iowa

Remember after Iowa? They said that Obama was not black enough. That was so dumb. Then just before SC they spin it that he is "the" black candidate.

The Obama campaign proved with this SC win that Obama appeals to ALL voters. And Obama being less of a polarizing figure than Hillary, he has bipartisan appeal. That means no more Clinton gridlock because Obama as President can get the job done. We can see real heath care for all Americans, and a better global standing, and a better economy for us all. Obama will get it done.

We just can't afford 4 years of a Hillary fighting republicans and doing nothing.

January 26, 2008 08:01 pm at 8:01 pm |
  3. Patty

I've just got to ask...Why is it when CNN covers Barack, the reporting is delivered with bouquets of red roses and when reporting about Hillary, black roses are delivered? Here, let me give you some examples since it seems your footage is devoid of real, live snippets that would offer more of, shall I say, a balanced view.

Remember these quotes from Barack????

-"Hillary, you're likeable...enough..."–Just what does that mean? Hmm. Don't recall anyone in the media exploiting that comment. It was handled with a simple Q&A with Barack and all minds were clear.

-"Sometimes I don't know who I'm running against..."-If you couldn't hear the sexist undertones in that, you'd have to be deaf!!!

In reference to gaining Hillary's voters should he, Barack, win the Democratic nomination, he basically stated he would have no problem gaining Hillary supporters but offered this-"...the question is will Hillary be able to get my voters..."

It's these kinds of divisive comments that makes it clear he, Barack, is not the candidate of unity!

January 26, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  4. Sean, Detroit, MI

Sal, Obama has never played the race card. Stop drinking the Clinton Kool-Aid and pay attention to what's actually going on here

January 26, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  5. Annie, CA

Penny – just a thought though and to explain where I am coming from....when I hear commentators on CNN saying things like "well the Black people look at Obama as their JFK so they voted for him"........that gets under my skin.............

No thought of whether or not they will be one of the 15 million excluded from his health care proposal.....no thought about his ability to only vote 'present' – and even for one of his own bills that he proposed that had a flaw....and no thought that at the last debate it was indeed Senator Obama who slung the mud first. (rewatch debate if not sure).

So that is what the media is playing it to be and I think that has a huge impact on what people react to.......but certainly – Senator Obama is no JFK (experiences...war hero...years in Senate...background etc. etc. etc)

January 26, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  6. Sletta Bentley

I think your political team needs to be replaced by people who listen and report the news instead of trying to make it. You are calling Obama a winner before all of the votes are in and the polls can't possibly report until they do. I worked in the polls. People will tell you what you want to hear and vote what they feel. I don't like the sparring that has gone on but your team starts a lot of it. I listen to the debates and wonder who you were listening to when you start reporting on it. You make mountains out of nothing and it's plain to see you are almost all against Hillary. Are you afraid of a Woman president? I can't say I particularly want a woman but I want someone who has more experience and don't cry racism just because one state didn't vote like YOU predicted. I didn't like Hillary crying about the guys picking on her either. But when the race in SC turns out different than you predict I hope you reconsider and start reporting instead of making news. Or will you continue to deny you try to influence people and keep everything diverted from the issues. IT MAKES ME SICK OF LISTENING TO YOU. but I do like seeing the results as they come through.

January 26, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  7. Ashley McFadden

COME ON HILLARY!

January 26, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  8. Vic

Sean – I'm listening – please enlighten me as to Obama's accomplishments.

January 26, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  9. 84G

Love Change.

Speak peacefully with each other

Change always comes.

Dems in '08.....

January 26, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  10. Renee, IL

It is such a shame that we in America still discriminate against women when Hilary is working twice as hard to win in a man's world and the men dominated media along with the other women who are prejudiced against their own sex are fueling the fire . It should be a matter of pride that she is an intelligent woman who can really lead the world but we women are blind to it.

January 26, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. SB

When a white candidate carries 80%+ of the vote no one screams white people are voting based on race.

Ridiculous!

January 26, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  12. Dan Star

Obama vs Clinton is not a race vs gender vote. jcr – you're a fool to think that if 80% of the Blacks in America voted for Obama then it's because he's black. It's because the Clinton's are like the Bush's and the Bush/Clinton Dynasty needs to end and finally there is a Democrat that does not bring the bureaucratic baggage the Clinton;s have. By the way racist, I'm caucasian, mid 40s and middle income. Lots of folks just like me that want a REAL Dmocrat to be nominated – OBAMA '08 !!!

January 26, 2008 08:33 pm at 8:33 pm |
  13. Gilles Brunelle

I'm a Canadian and can't help but be comforted to see that black american women do have a real and hard decision to make. If MLK was alive, he would say that this is democracy as it should work.: not easy but significant voting. People in other countries are not even close to experience the significance of such an act.

January 26, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. John

Can we PLEASE stop following the talking points of the television media, and do our job as American voters – following the issues. For example, while the Clinton's (Bill and Hillary) take credit for the economy of the 90's, no one mentions that the tech bubble burst took place on their watch in 2000 – not George Bush's. It was Clinton's lack of attention to over-inflated valuations of start-ups as well as wide spread corporate corruption (Enron, Worldcom, etc.) that contributed to the bubble bursting before George Bush made it in office. It is about time that we look at our lack of attention to the issues as Americans, and failure to hold politicians accountable, as the real reason for our current position. Do you think 28 years of Bush/Clinton is what our founders had in mind when they wrote the constitution?

January 26, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  15. Penny in California

South Caroline voters, voted on the RACE issue. Too bad they can't think with their heads, and whats best for the country.

January 26, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  16. jh

54% to 27% with 50% reporting. Nuff said. This is no 6% Nevada win or 3% New Hampshire win. This is what we call in sports, a drubbing. Exit polls suggest that Obama not only won an overwhelming majority of black votes, he also split the white vote with Clinton. Spin all you want about race etc... but it is the Clinton folks injecting identity politics into this, and Obama just handed the Clinton's their lunch. I love to see them lose, even if he is not going to get the nomination in the end, because of all the Kool-aid drinking going on in NY and CA.

Go Obama!

January 26, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  17. NickNas

LOL all the Billary Lovers are REALLY going to talk alot now. It seems too many people have BRAINS these days and can see through the old fashioned tactics.

Let the WHINE begin.

January 26, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  18. Susan

You're welcome! 100% of my vote went for the candidate that I felt really believes that change is necessary to get this country back on track.

January 26, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  19. Casey

Ever since I said CNN is as "fair and balanced" about their reporting of Hillary as Fox, my comments go into eternal moderation. What is that all about?????

January 26, 2008 08:42 pm at 8:42 pm |
  20. Get America back on track

See, what did I tell you? Someone decided not to print my opinion on the blog. They erased it.

January 26, 2008 08:44 pm at 8:44 pm |
  21. Ed

Thank You South Carolina ! ! ! Hillary is running in '08 on "change and experience” as she was the former First Lady. Does that mean that Chelsea Clinton will run in '16 on "change and experience" as a 2x First Daughter? Kinda beginning to sound like a monarchy. Do your research. Get Informed, Stay Involved, and Free Yourself ! ! !

January 26, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  22. shamrock1982

WHY IS THIS SUCH A BIG DEAL! OBAMA WINS IN S.C. LOOK PEOPLE LETS BE HONEST WITH EACH OTHER. OBAMA CAN WIN EVERY DEMOCRATIC EVENT, IT WILL NOT MATTER IN THE END. FIRST OFF, ONLY 16% OF THE NATION IS BLACK, SO THEY SAY. BLACKS WILL VOTE FOR HIM CAUSE HE IS BLACK, WHITES WILL VOTE FOR HIM CAUSE IT MAKES THEM LOOK GOOD. BUT HONESTLY WHEN ELECTION DAY COMES IN NOVEMBER, DO YOU ALL REALLY THINK THAT WHITE AMERICA IS GOING TO VOTE FOR A BLACK MAN. THE ANSWER IS NO, WHY YOU ASK. FOR THE PAST 20 YEARS THE SOUTH HAS ELECTED THE PRESIDENT. OBAMA WINS IN SC SO PEOPLE START TO THINK THAT RACE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, ARE YOU JOKING!! RACE HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT. THE REASON PEOPLE THINK RACE DOESN'T MATTER IS BECAUSE HE WON IN A SOUTHERN STATE, SO WHAT ONLY FOR HIS PARTY WITH IN SC IS MOSTLY BLACK ITSELF. THE SOUTH IS REPUBLICAN HAS BEEN FOR A LONG TIME. THE SOUTH WILL NOT VOTE FOR A BLACK, NOT GONNA HAPPEN. THEY WOULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE HAVING A ROCK ON THE BALLOT. AS YOU MAY HAVE GUESSED I AM A SOUTHERN FROM ALABAMA. IF OBAMA WINS THE NOM. DEMOCRATS MIGHT AS WELL HAND THE ELECTION TO THE REPUBLICANS OBAMA CAN NOT WIN THE SOUTH, YOUR BEST CHANCE WOULD BE EDWARDS. IS IT CAUSE OBAMA IS BLACK, HONESTLY FROM MOST SOUTHERNS POINT OF VIEW YES! IS IT FAIR MAYBE NOT BUT IS POLITICS EVER FAIR. I JUST HOPE EVERYONE LIKE MITT ROMNEY, IF NOT BETTER GET USE TO SEEING HIS FACE AS THE NEXT PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!!! GO MITT!!!

January 26, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  23. Vladimir Wolfe, Seattle WA

Penny, you have posted one of the most intelligent comments I've read in a long time: "If Obama is qualified to win the white voters in Iowa, he is qualified to win the black votes in SC. Why should this be a racial issue?" Good Job...I wish more people thought the way you do.

January 26, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  24. Susan

There is a lot of anger and resentment on here on several articles. Very sad.

January 26, 2008 09:12 pm at 9:12 pm |
  25. Justice

How do you project a winner the second a poll closes and then act as though it was a huge surprise?

January 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |