January 26th, 2008

Edwards concedes, looks forward to Super Tuesday

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Former Sen. John Edwards urged his supporters on
to the Super Tuesday contests following a third-place finish Saturday in his native state's Democratic primary.

"Now the three of us move on to February 5 where millions of Americans will cast their vote and help shape the future of this party and help shape the future of America," Edwards said in a short speech after finishing behind Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in South Carolina.

"Our campaign from the very beginning has been about one central thing, and that is to give voice to the millions of Americans who have absolutely no voice in this democracy."

Filed under: John Edwards • South Carolina
  1. Dr. Elangovan Krishnan

Dear John Edwards,
    You are an amazing guy voicing for the poor. We know you are true to your heart, efforts and deeds. In fact, I believe Politics itself is for liars and cheaters, who use anything their gender, race, etc for getting popular appeal and winning.
    I hope to see you and your family's efforts not to be drained in this stinging political ditch, but be used in constructive work against POVERTY, ILL-HEALTH, LACK OF INSURANCE, etc.. I personally wish to see you as a Nobel laureate for peace, championing for the case of poverty elimination in USA and the world at large (next in line to Al Gore).
    God bless you and your family,
    Dr. Elangovan Krishnan

January 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  2. Count

Stay in John. Your message needs to be heard. Keep issues like poverty at the heart of the Democratic discussion.

January 27, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. KS

Edwards came in second in Iowa and won among white voters in SC.

January 27, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  4. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

John Edwards is a pain on voter's neck, he is just like a barnacle. I think he stays on the race for Obama. Edwards has no sense of honor.

January 27, 2008 06:17 pm at 6:17 pm |
  5. nell

I think you meant 2016!

OBAMA 08! & 12!

January 27, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  6. Eddie

John, keep on fighting onwards to the Convention in Denver!!!

January 27, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Mike

John.... This is pathetic. Drop out now.

January 27, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  8. GOP in '08

"Our campaign from the very beginning has been about one central thing . . . getting the #2 spot on the ticket."

January 27, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  9. J

Edwards is the only candidate talking about real issues. It is time for America to snap out of this fantasy and start paying attention to the one who is going to FIGHT for every American.

Go John Go!

January 27, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  10. jeremy

if everyone didnt want to be part of making history mr. edwards would get more backing. if not edwards obama all the way!!

January 27, 2008 09:54 pm at 9:54 pm |
  11. Georgia voter

I think CNN and the Media is trying to decide the election. Voters want choice. John Edwards needs to stay in the race.

January 27, 2008 10:05 pm at 10:05 pm |
  12. Bill

John, stay the course. Your contributors want your voice and ideas heard. Your continued presence may bring about an open convention where the party can find the true representative for its voice. That could be you!

January 27, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  13. Calvin Baker

I think both Hillary and John should put their support behind Barack Obama

January 27, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  14. Dave

Many of you don't know what your talking about. He finished 2nd in Iowa, has 26 delegates, he's not spending tax payer money, he's spending his own money and he's spending money he raised through fundraisers. For one thing, he should stay in the race to keep the two celebrity candidates honest. And for another, most people agree that he has won each debate, and also relates closely with those in the democratic party. The only reason he's losing right now is because people don't think he can beat the Republican machine. Well I for one will go Republican this year if he loses the democratic ticket.

January 27, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  15. Bobby

I think John Edwards has a lot to offer this country he just dont have the political support the other candidates have and let me tell you coming from a republican its a shame.I would vote for him.

January 28, 2008 01:50 am at 1:50 am |
  16. Ibrahim

Edwards still can do it and he is the only demecrot that can beat the republican's so people please wake up and start voting before we get another bush out there ....

January 28, 2008 02:08 am at 2:08 am |
  17. Kelvin of Baltimore

I heard that if Edwards finally decide to call it quits, more than likely he will endorse Obama. Thats terrific!

January 28, 2008 02:43 am at 2:43 am |
  18. charlotte

Your not the only one looking forward to Super Tuesday. Race won't be the focus in the rest of the country.

January 28, 2008 07:35 am at 7:35 am |
  19. ericas stephens,bay village,Ohio

This guy is offensive to me,he says he cares about us,yet he has all but abandoned his small children and his dying wife!

January 28, 2008 09:08 am at 9:08 am |
  20. Michiel

If anyone out there bothered to do the research of the candidates, rather than just listen to the media, they would realize John Edwards is the best candidate out there. All of the media hype over the 2 "front runners" , combined with the lack of coverage of John Edwards, leaves the American public lacking the knowledge to make an informed choice. I'm sick and tired of the media cramming certain candidates down our throats while completely ignoring others. I've listened to the candidates, researched their plans, and watched the debates. If we all really want the best person for the job, forget the media hype, or making "history" and vote for the candidate you honestly feel will do the best possible job for the American people. For me, that's John Edwards!

January 28, 2008 10:19 am at 10:19 am |
  21. Chris - Phoenix

I like John Edwards alot, and I would vote for him if he became the Democratic nominee (unlike Hillary, who I would only vote for over two of the Republican choices). But I am also tired of the Edwards supporters claiming "media bias". John Edwards had plenty of coverage last election, especially as a Vice Presidential candidate. And he has had four years to do nothing but get his message out. Despite this, voters in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada and his home-state of South Carolina DID NOT VOTE FOR HIM! Sure the media has been heavy on the stories of the first viable female and black candidates, but if they didn't win any caucuses or primaries, the media coverage would dry out very quickly. The media has more of an effect on Feb 5th when the candidates can't reach out personally to as many people, but in the early states, the media had very little to do with who people voted for (as evidenced by the polls which aren't even close most of the time).

Both sides will argue that Edwards is taking away their vote, whether it is the "white vote" or the "change vote" but I think it is fairly split, so I have no problem with Edwards remaining in the race. Especially with the race potentially coming down to a very narrow delagate count, where the Edwards Delagates may be the deciding factor between the top two candidates.

But make no mistake. Edwards is not a contender himself. Not this election.

Don't blame the media. Blame two other motivated, organized and well-funded campaigns.

January 28, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  22. Joseph

Michiel,
    I agree with you. Given the current choices I feel John Edwards would be the best canidate for president. However, I still feel the best outcome from the 2008 elections would be an Indepentent President, a Republican Senate, and a Democratic House. What we don't need and can not afford is for one party to win all three. Whenever that happens, both democratic (Remember LBJ) or republic It takes generations to overcome. (We are still paying for LBJ's messing around with our SS. Before LBJ and his democratic congress the funds in SS were never touched. Now they are always spent.

further this "tax cut" will not stimulate the ecomy. giving the tax payers a little more money just causes us to buy more items made in china making china richer. We need to create a new industry here in America, creating demand for american goods overseas.

January 28, 2008 12:58 pm at 12:58 pm |
  23. VB

I would love to see John continue to be in the race. I can trust him and Obama, but not trusting the Clintons (especially Hillary). I think the Dems are doing damage to this election by keeping her in the race for presidency. I would want to see a stronger woman who can run the presidency by her own merits and efforts, not by her husband's merits.

January 28, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  24. teacher

Keep going, John! We love you! I'm tired of the fussing between Obama and Clinton - they're not working for the US, they're working for themselves.

January 28, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  25. amir

You cannot decide on my opinion, please remove it. I do not care. I do not understand why yu take two days and not yet decide

January 29, 2008 04:23 am at 4:23 am |