January 26th, 2008

Exit polls: Barack Obama wins among voters under age 65

(CNN) – Hillary Clinton only beat Barack Obama among elderly voters, according to CNN exit polls.

Among those voters, Clinton beat Obama by 8 points, 40 percent to 32 percent. But the Illinois Democrat easily defeated Clinton in every other bracket, and overall garnered 58 percent of the vote among 18-64 year olds. Twenty-three percent of those voters went for Clinton.

– CNN Ticker Producer Alexander Mooney

Filed under: Exit Polls
  1. NT

"It is just so funny that a lot of these people, either supporters of Clinton or Obama, don't really do anything but attack each other on the internet."

Very true. This isn't a sports rivalry, but a campaign to be elected President of the United States of America. Let's take a little time. Fully consider the issues at hand. Realize what the President can and can't do, versus the promises being served to us. Let's see beyond the pundits and pollsters who jockey for every little bit of airtime they can get by manipulating facts or manufacturing issues.

January 27, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  2. Sandy

Unfortunately the US doesn't embrace runoff voting. With such high percentages of NO to Hillary and NO to Obama, John Edwards would be way ahead of both Hillary and Obama now. Too bad we can't fix the voting system. We'll be stuck with a candidate going into November that won't win.

January 27, 2008 01:24 pm at 1:24 pm |
  3. Objective Voter

This article is pure BS pure and simple.

Black Voters are disproportionally-represented across all Democratic demographics in South Carolina. The most parsimonious statistic from Obama's victor in South Carolina is that Blacks bolted 4-1 in favor of Obama when previous polls had shown that they would bolt 2-1 in favor of him.

To generalize that Obama won "all" demographics would seem to imply that this makes him a contender nationally, but for the informed voter working through the typical exaggerations of the media; you can't generalize upon the democratic voting populations of the entire country that Obama is suddenly viable when the demographics of South Carolina are not representative of any of the states except a few, select Southern states.

And lets face it folks, all the states, including South Carolina are almost 100% to go for the Republican candidate in 2008.

Again, the media makes much ado about nothing.

January 27, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Objective Voter

Errata: All of the *these* southern states are almost 100% to go for the Republican candidate in 2008.

January 27, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  5. pam Eugene OR

Obama clearly won across the age lines and the race lines. We do have Clinton fatigue.

January 27, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. Vivien CA

Best not to forget that with age comes wisdom.

January 27, 2008 02:13 pm at 2:13 pm |
  7. eddie

300 millions of americans voting for two family dynasties bush/clinton for 28 years.

You really wonder why Politicians care less about us and our needs, and shipping job overseas!

We really can do better than that!

Now, we have one chance in our lifetime, to elect a true Leader who wants to unify all americans, and put behind us, all the clintion politics of divisions of the past and move forward for the future.

One question for the Clinton Supporters here:

Why do you want to vote for the Clintons when you know Bill Clinton approved NAFTA and the Consolidation of the Media????

The illegal Iraq war sold by our Media is already a $ 1 trillion war, and the $ Currency is collapsing, because of laws such as NAFTA and so on, as we don't produce anymore!

Why are you concerned more about the race of Obama than the future of you children!!

Obama 2008!

January 27, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  8. Emanuel Ndu

Its interesting that when Hiliary was winning in South Carolina by 10-20 points in Nov in polls, there wasn't a question about race. However, fast forward to Jan. Hiliary's attacks on Obama, the crying spell in New Hampshire, the dual attack over superficial issues (MLK, REAGAN, ect).....its suddenly only about race.

I voted for Bill CLinton twice, Gore, Kerry ect. I have no problem with Hiliary being the first woman candidate. I bought into the 2 for one philosophy and the memories of the 1990's. However, what I'm witinessing in the past 2-3 weeks has caused me to consider the impossible. Could the republicans be right about the Clinton's? Are the Clinton's consumed with power so much that they will do anything to win?

Unlike the Republican campaign in 2000 ( negative rumors about Mccain had a black child out of wedlock), the negative politics in south carolina by the Clintons had the exact opposite effect. I applaud the South Carolinians. If this wakes up the Clintons and makes them state their vision for America instead of playing Rove style politics, I think the result has done the party good.

January 27, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  9. Sean

Here is a young person who will never in my life vote for Barack Obama. . .If Barack Obama wins the nomination I will be very excited to back McCain!

Bill Clinton suggests race is an issue
    Media screams at him over it
    Barack Obama wins South Carolina
    Wins only because of black vote
    But race isnt a factor?????GIVE ME A BREAK, suckers.

January 27, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. scvoter

Older people know the value of experience. Younger people don't, because they haven't lived long enough. Gore ran on experience. Bush ran as a uniter. Look at the mess he's created.

January 27, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. charlotte

John, scandals you say, Ted Kennedy to endorse OPHAMA. Thank God he did not endorse Hillary. The filth would fly.

January 27, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  12. Brian

Elizabeth R. Baecher-

CNN probably won't post this, but one can hope.

Do you have kids? Maybe you can help me to explain to my teenage son (17) why he shouldn't do drugs to solve his problems when someone who did exactly that is running for president. Great role model for our youth. Yes, he stopped, but not everyone is able to quit. Do you want me to name a few great men and women who were not able to quit who ended up dead. Elvis Presley for one. Do you need more.

January 27, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Deleted User

These are the naive voters? They overlooked the qualities of Hillary and remained blind to Obama's inexperience. Well, naivete will live long in American politics.

January 27, 2008 02:47 pm at 2:47 pm |
  14. Becky Montgomery

OMG! I am an older white woman and didn't get the old geezer memo telling me to vote for Hillary. I actually used my brain and voted for the best PERSON, Obama.

January 27, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  15. Joseph DeSousa

Yeah when I was thir age I put my hopes in Jimmy Carter. Great human being but we all have forgotten what the 4 years were like.

Obama verses any republican and for the first time I will vote republican since the future is dependent on experience.

January 27, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  16. Lee

Becky I feel worry for you – I truly do. As a woman you should listen to what she says just like the blacks listened to Obama. You are older and that should bring you wisdom unlike these young people who are looking at a great speaker and would buy dirt from a feild if he was sellin it.

Women fought for years to get the right to vote as women have now. There was no memo – just issues, experience and pride that you seem to have missed.

January 27, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. Pat Shepard

Jack said:

Why is it that when whites vote white, they're being potentially 'racist'? How about the overwhelming number of blacks that voted black? Are you telling me they're not voting based on race?? Give me a break. The press (including CNN) are not reporting fair on this at all. I'm so sick of listening to Obama's attacks being categorized as as "brilliant" when Hillary's attacks are "vicious and racist". His tactics are genuine and her's are "political"… This is so one-sided I'm about to throw up watching the terrible coverage. Dare I say I'm about to start watching Fox news. At least it makes me laugh from time to time with their ridiculousness!
    (end quote)

See above for how ridiculous claims that CNN has an anti-Hillary bias are.

As for "blacks voting black" – how racist of you to simplify it that far. Ever think that Obama might appeal to their interests as a good candidate? If you doubt that, consider that Al Sharpton did *not* win SC in 2004. Your racist theory can't explain that at all. He was, after all, a black man and your simple racist sloganeering of "blacks vote based on race" would insist that they'd vote for him. Percieving the blacks in SC as thinking human beings who choose candidates based on due consideration *does* explain it – Obama would make a good president, Sharpton would not.

January 27, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  18. Larry

I agree with Sean. I don't care how you put it race is a big factor. All you have to do is look at the numbers.
    I am also tired about the way Obama keeps saying he didn't vote for this or that well hell he doesn't vote for any hard things.

January 27, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  19. lizA

Hillary will be good president!

January 29, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  20. ben

Obama 2008!

January 29, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  21. asqa

CNN is censoring my postings!

January 29, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  22. Dennis

You idiot demokrats who vote for Hillary get what you deserve, she is an elitist limousine liberal. Please vote for someone other than one who "loathes the military"

January 29, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. Doug

If Obama should become the Democratic candidate then I will vote Republican for the first time ever. I'm voting for experience, NOT skin color. Hillary clearly can do good for this country. Are you jerks so brain dead??? Have you forgotten what GOOD the Clinton's have done for America???? I'm voting for CHANGE alright, I'm voting for the end of the Bush chaos and the return of the Clinton good years! Not for your 'Look at me, I don't have a clue' Obama!!! GO HILLARY!!!

January 29, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. Latina voter in New York

To Latina voter in CA – Are you seriously comparing Barack Obama to OJ Simpson!!? I hope this was just a temporary lapse in your thinking. Where is the similarity? Latinos have experienced enough racism – we should certainly not turn and direct it toward others. Barack Obama represents a new perspective and an invitation to all citizens to get involved in the direction of the country – a fresh start in both our domestic and foreigh policy which have not been headed in a good direction since long before the Bush presidency. Think back on US policy in Central America...Think back who was president during the Rwandan genocide..Barack Obama by himself can't remake the country but as president he can set a new direction and make it possible for us all to change our country together. Hillary is a good senator but I just don't think she'd make anything more than a mediocre president who would basically be more of the same.

OBAMA IN '08!!!