January 26th, 2008

Obama: Campaign is about "the future versus the past"

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) - At his South Carolina victory event Saturday night, Barack Obama described the 2008 campaign as a simple fight: "the past versus the future."

"We’re looking to fundamentally change the status quo in Washington – a status quo that extends beyond any particular party," he said. "And right now, that status quo is fighting back with everything it’s got."

Obama said his blowout win should persuade the cynics who thought his victory in Iowa "was just an illusion" that they were wrong.

The Illinois senator's other message: race is not a factor. He told the excited crowd of about 2,000 that after the four early nominating contests, he has "the most diverse coalition of Americans we've seen in a long time."

"They are young and old; rich and poor," Obama said. "They are black and white; Latino and Asian."

He cited a woman who once worked for longtime South Carolina politician Strom Thurmond, a Republican who continued to support segregationist views until his death in 2003.

"[She] knocked on doors for this campaign," Obama said. "Don’t tell me we can’t change."

Speaking in stentorian tones lightened by a singsongy lilt reminiscent of a Baptist preacher, he said, "Yes we can change! Yes we can!"

–CNN's Chris Welch
  1. Nobama

i've open my ears and my heart and all I hear from Obama is emptiness.

January 28, 2008 01:04 am at 1:04 am |
  2. amir

That is right, it is about future vs the past.

who cares about the "present""

"Present" comes habdy or the only option when Obama has to vote.

January 28, 2008 01:48 am at 1:48 am |
  3. Tabitha

Will any of the canadites be a GREAT President? I do not know. None of us do...
    My gut, wrong or right, tells me not to trust Clinton. As much as I would like to see a woman President. I do not believe that Clinton is that woman. Why can't politicans see that we are tire of the fighting. The endless years of "Washington knows best". I want to believe in Barack Obama, because he has not spent as much time in Washington. Sen. Obama also seems willing to compromise to get the job done.

I will NOT vote for Hillary Clinton. My faith in our government is very low. Barack Obama is the first canidate to give me hope. And, obviously, he is giving young people and black people hope. They are actually participating in the process in far greater numbers than in previous years.

Barack Obama '08

January 29, 2008 09:12 am at 9:12 am |
  4. Louis, New York

I think all you people who want to know what Obama will do should go to his web site and check his plans there. His health care plan is actually more well thought out than Clintons who basically says she will do for all, but never says how.

What concerns me is the people who just vote for or against someone because of race or sex. that is really disturbing considering what is at stake.

January 29, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  5. Syed Kazimi

Urgent Urgent

Obama should say that he will bring not only troops but also jobs back home.
    Stop outsourcing high tech & other jobs.
    Bring Manufacturing jobs back to USA.
    Train illegal immigrants and miilions of other to get back in manufacturing jobs.
    There is no more Golden state which so many foreclosures of homes and no more Silycan Valley . All the jobs go on to India and China.

There should be limit on Outsourcing and the comapnies who outsource jobs they should invest money in training local people.

Clintons & Macain are war mongars, They always support wars.

January 31, 2008 12:49 pm at 12:49 pm |