January 26th, 2008

South Carolina organization pays off for Obama

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – Much has been written about the strength of Barack Obama's ground organization in South Carolina, largely driven by volunteers. Some observers considered it his best among the early-voting states.

It paid overwhelming dividends for Obama tonight in precincts across the state, some of which were largely ignored in the 2004 primary.

Take, for instance, the tiny town of Estill, located in Hampton County in the southern part of the state.

In the 2004 presidential primary, just 264 total votes were cast in Estill.

In this primary race, the Obama campaign made sure to send staff and volunteers to the town. Tonight, amid unprecedented Democratic turnout across the state, 575 votes were cast in Estill, with 459 of them going to Obama, 92 to Hillary Clinton and 24 to John Edwards.

1. Dan, TX

You know what? Tomorrow, I'm going out to volunteer for Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:09 pm at 10:09 pm |
  2. Michael

NYC Go Obama Go Can't Wait To Come To NYC And PA.

January 26, 2008 10:10 pm at 10:10 pm |
  3. david hills

Thank God that South Carolina ignored the Clinton dirty politics that we had to endure. Bad Bill and Sweet Hillary-their politics is a game. Obama is about CHANGE. As NH residents we say to America, Believe, and get out and get to work for Obama!!

January 26, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  4. mike

good luck Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  5. Araceli Herrera

I am a young voter I have only voted 1 time before and that was for Kerry in 2004. I support the Democratic party and Obama. I have never been so excited to vote before. Obama to me represents CHANGE. To me race or gender don't make a diffence and my support of Obama has nothing to do with is race, I wish people would stop paying so much attention to that matter and get to what really matters.

Araceli in Illinois

January 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  6. Independent

If Obama wins the nomination, the Democrats will lose the White House. If Clinton doesn't win, I would rather vote for McCain as Obama has such a lack of experience and has nothing to offer but lofty ideas with no actual plan to accomplish anything. I expect there is a large part of the population, like myself, who would shift from Clinton to McCain.
    Better a president who could actually do something.

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  7. Dwayne, Pa

Are you kidding Liz, John Edwards couldn't lace the shoes on Barack Obama. Get real!

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  8. Holly B

I agree with James Brown. I am also proud of America tonight and hope I will be proud of America come November. The wise people of South Carolina chose the right candidate in Obama – a uniter and a leader not just one, but two divisive politicians in the Clintons!

January 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  9. Ryan

He will come to New York. And he will make a strong showing there too. It's time for the people who think politics is about hate to learn that Obama has a better way. I think the people of New York are ready to kick the carpetbagger Clintons out!

January 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  10. AllegedRightWingConspiracy

Obama...keep up the "good fight" and stay above the frey. This victory proves you can unite America...enjoy a hard-won victory.

Be prepared for anything but stay on that high ground son. America knows the difference. The old political days are gone...change IS coming.

Hurry up and get to Texas so I can support you here.

I bet Bill is gonna catch HELL-A-RY tonight.

January 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  11. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

Thank you Caroline !
    Birds of a feather flock together !

Barack Obama rocks the nation and the world !

New York is gearing up, and New York has they're number.
    We will reject the those two southern carpetbaggers !

New York will play a huge part to send them packing !

The world is watching.

Just wait until Gore, Kennedy, Carter and others come out on time for
    Obama – I even have heard of some key republicans that will endorse
    Obama.

Barack Obama the unity candidate !!!

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  12. Jeff

No talk about Sen. Obama being the "Comeback Kid?" And yet the Clinton sycophants talk about the pro-Obama media. Seems not only will the Clintons say anything to get elected, but their supporters will say anything to try to advance their viewpoint, regardless of the facts.

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  13. julie

Liz.Thats not the first time hes taken the other candidates words, I listened to him make a speech on the economy ect it was the same words the other candidates used at the debate the night before, I dont think he should even be a senator,much less the president!

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. JohnS

I am not sure which speech Liz was listening to!!! Is this a high school kid with hearing difficulties? I love Edwards, but he is not the greatest orator I know!! Let us give credit where credit is due. This is the SAME dishonesty that Obama is talking about in this nation.

How can a nation consider itself great when the basic elements of live– honesty, truth, liberty, and justice– are only for the rich folks?

January 26, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  15. opinion25222

I love Obama's vision. He been speaking the same message since 2004. America is a country filled with beautiful people of all colors, of all nationalities and of all beliefs. He says if we can all just get together and speak as one, how powerful this nation would be. Washington (republicans, democrats, independents) can get together and do what they need to do to help our country in terms of health care, the war in iraq, our schools. You can tell when he speaks that he really believes this with all his heart. You can tell he loves all people (white, black , hispanic, asian, etc.) What a great man. Even if he doesn't win the nomination, he will always have his name on the pages of history.

I know a lot of people love Hillary too. But for me, Obama is the person I see changing America.

January 26, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  16. Concerned Voter

53% of voters were black and Obama won 81% of them. There is no way anyone else could have won this "contest" because the math made it impossible. It just goes to show that race works BOTH WAYS and that America HAS NOT moved forward as all of the media and all the Obama supporters would like us to believe.

January 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  17. stacy

CT is ready to show its support for Obama. As a high school teacher, I fully believe that the better educated the voter – the more concerned he or she is for the future of this country, the more he or she understands that Obama is critical to our future. We have to get it right this time! As Caroline Kennedy explained today in her endorsement of Obama, "we finally have a president who can inspire and unite..." as her father did. Obama is our bridge to better times!!! What a beautiful, wonderful man!

January 26, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  18. Mart

Congratulations to Senator Obama for getting back on message about hope and a new day in America! He has inspired me to begin campaigning for him in Virginia. Like he said, "Out of many, WE Are One!" Obama 08!

January 26, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  19. Frank

It was obvious he was going to win SC. Come on people; you actually think that blacks in this country would give up a chance to have a black president? That may happen when they start not wanting affirmative action and when striped rabbits become a new species on this planet!!!

January 26, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  20. Nita

Let him come to Texas.

January 26, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  21. Jermaine

Yolanda, I am a NEW YORKER...OBAMA might not win, but I am sure he will give Hillary a RUN for HER MONEY. Remember she cannot win the Presidency w/o OBAMA. He can win without her!

"Si se Puedo- YES WE CAN!"

January 26, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  22. Grant

Exploiting race and congratulating unity are two very different things, Miss Robinson. Iowa did not fight South Carolina's fight 50 years ago; South Carolina deserves our utmost respect for demonstrating that in the still racially divided American South, people can come together under a common cause.

Congratulations, Mr. Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  23. Jermaine

Yolanda, I am a NEW YORKER…OBAMA might not win NY but he will carry NYC, but I am sure he will give Hillary a RUN for HER MONEY. Remember she cannot win the Presidency w/o OBAMA. He can win without her!

"Si se Puedo- YES WE CAN!"

January 26, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  24. Larry, GA

I thought I read somewhere that history indicates that whoever wins the Democratic primary race in South Carolina does not win the party's nomination?

January 26, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  25. Carl, Redding,CA

His ground operation may have helped, but what really paid off for Obama in South Carolina were the mulititudes of African-Americans who voted based on race, pure and simple. I expected for him to win. When you look at the large African-American population of South Carolina, and how blatantly Barack and Michelle played the race card, his win isn't at all surprising. I don't begrudge the voters or Obama his win. It's now Obama: Iowa and South Carolina; Clinton: New Hampshire, Michigan, and Nevada. Things are tightening up and that's great. There are still 45 states to go. May the best qualified candidate win the nomination.

January 26, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |