January 26th, 2008

Steady to strong turnout as South Carolina votes

Sen. Barack Obama campaigns Thursday in North Charleston, South Carolina.
Sen. Barack Obama campaigns Thursday in North Charleston, South Carolina.

(CNN) - Turnout was strong in some places Saturday as voters streamed to the polls for South Carolina's Democratic primary election.

"Turnout has been steady, and some counties have described it as heavy," said Chris Whitmire, spokesman for the state election commission. "Our absentee numbers indicate that we could have higher turnout than last weekend," when the Republican Party held its primary.

A win in South Carolina is crucial for Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, who could use a victory after second-place finishes to New York Sen. Hillary Clinton in New Hampshire and Nevada.

Full story

Filed under: South Carolina
  1. Concerned Mother

I completely agree with you Dee!!! We are serously missing that sense of Nationalism in the US. We need to get that conceptual ideal back into our society.

January 26, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  2. Lynn

Sen. Obama will win the SC demoractic primary today. People recognized what the Clintons were up to. Thank God African-Americans in SC have gotten off the plantation and we need to stay off. If Hillary wins the nomination, I will vote for the republican canidate and will actively campaign for the republican canidatem who ever that is. What clear thinking person of any race would want to see Bill and Hillary Clinton roaming through the White House again. That are bought disgraceful. But of course, SC does have a very high percent of un and under educated people.

January 26, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  3. Jeffim, Miami, Fl

I doubt the victory in south Carolina is the indicative of his strength. Once the nations sees that he got 80% of African-american vote, it's gonna piss off a lot of white in this predominantly white nation. it's sad, but it's so true.

January 26, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. don

The news media seems to forget, Obama played the race card with Ophra, she stated this is the chance to elect a black president. One would think when you back someone for this office it should be on capabilities, not on the color of their skin.

January 26, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. charlotte

The actual results could be weeks off, with what I suspect will be a re-count . Super Tuesday will be over by then, also subject to re-count. Without Kucinich, who will ask?

January 26, 2008 06:55 pm at 6:55 pm |
  6. independent thinker

I agree that racism is still a problem in this country. Unfortuantely however, I believe that the Clintons are expressing racism in their campaign.

Mark my lips. If Obama wins South Carolina, The Clintons will go around saying that the only reason he won is because of the "black vote." What are they doing when they say this? They are trying to get the whites to unite against Obama. Why is the matter of race even an issue in this campaign. It shouldn't be, but Hillary and Bill are sure making it one.

Also, what is wrong with talking about hope, slavery, and all those kind of things? This is the day of election. The issues are already in. Now, Obama is giving his final theme to bring the finale to a close.

He is talking about hope. The hope he believes he can bring to America.

January 26, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. JO

Well said, Dee Ward Mena. Glad someone makes sense !

January 26, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. Sean McM

Obama has never been on the issues......he is totally unprepared for the Presidency.

The Feb 5 races will say it all when the majority of us get to vote.....by then perhaps this referendum on gender and race will be totally ignored as it should have been all along.

You have had your day SC, sorry you missed the point of it all ...it was supposed to be a vote on competency for the Presidency....not on looks..

January 26, 2008 07:59 pm at 7:59 pm |
  9. PW Va

To DEE:

But we do say Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, Native Americans etc. My question to you and people like you, is why is this a problem when African-Americans declare their heritage (by the way I am an African-American woman and very proud to be so) but it's not a problem with other ethnic groups.

Just by virture that we live in America denotes that we're all AMERICANS!!! I will continue to describe myself as African-American (after all that is a part of my history). And Dee and to others like you: DEAL WITH IT!!!

January 26, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  10. Ed

Thank You South Carolina ! ! ! Hillary is running in '08 on "change and experience” as she was the former First Lady. Does that mean that Chelsea Clinton will run in '16 on "change and experience" as a 2x First Daughter? Kinda beginning to sound like a monarchy. Do your research. Get Informed, Stay Involved, and Free Yourself ! ! !

January 26, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  11. David in KY

Question how does CNN Senior Political Correspondent John King get 50% out of 30% African-American populous voting for Obama in this primary election?! Only 30% of the population of the Palmetto State is African-American with 70% being white, that to me is fuzzy math????

January 26, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  12. Michiel

I've just listened to Curious George give his final (thank heaven) state of the union address. After listening to this drivel, I am putting all of my hope with the Democratic party. I am totally convinced we need a candidate that not only has a plan to repair the damage done to the country and we the people over the last 7 years, but someone with the intestinal fortitude to see that these things get done. While Senator Obama talks of hope, I have no confidence that he can deliver on his message. He has the backing of some very powerful senators, yes, but does that backing come with strings attached? Ted Kennedy is nothing if not old politics. (And as a side note, Ted Kennedy opposed a wind farm in the vicinity of the family compound because it would ruin the view, even though it would have been 5 miles away!). Hillary also has senatorial support, again without strings? I don't think so. Both of these candidates represent the same old Washington. If people in this country are really interested in change, then I would recommend you take a look at John Edwards and his plan for America. He has been out of Washington for the last 4 years, does not accept funds from lobbyists or PACs, and is not beholden to anyone, except his commitment to the American people. I believe he is the only candidate that can repair the damage done to this country and our people. Please do the research and vote for John Edwards.

January 28, 2008 10:01 pm at 10:01 pm |