January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. James Brown ( Independent )

Thank you very much Caroline.

I am a 51 year old white male , and today my faith in the American people has been lifted greatly. I am also disabled and live on a fixed income , but i do intend on supporting Barack Obama with a donation to his campaign.

The right person at the right time !

Yes we can

Fired up

Ready to Go

OBAMA 08

Thank You South Carolina !

January 26, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  2. Get America back on track

and this is important because........? do people REALLY think that others will vote for a person that someone endorses? Surely they don't think Americans don't have a mind of their own.........

January 26, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  3. AnnAloha, PA Independent Thinker

Building Up The Showcasing of Senator Obama as usual
    Poor Edwards and Clinton

January 26, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  4. Kima

I very glad that she did. People need to understand this has nothing to do with race and South Carolina was a test of that. It about uniting us as one nation.

January 26, 2008 08:46 pm at 8:46 pm |
  5. Robert

I think we will see many more endorsements following this after the gross campaign by the Clintons we just saw. It is clear who represents the future of the party, if he can only overcome the divide and conquer Clinton machine.

January 26, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  6. Boomer for Obama

THIS IS HUGE>>>CONGRATS OBAMA ON YOUR WIN AND ON THIS ENDORSEMENT!!

January 26, 2008 08:47 pm at 8:47 pm |
  7. Becky

I have loved Caroline Kennedy since she was just a little girl....but just because she was a President's daughter doesn't make any difference to me how I am going to vote......GO HILLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

January 26, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  8. stan pitts pa

thats right finally the truth is coming out, obama for real change and to end the gridlock in washington!

January 26, 2008 08:48 pm at 8:48 pm |
  9. John C

Can you believe it? A Kennedy makinga correct call!

January 26, 2008 08:49 pm at 8:49 pm |
  10. l3wilso, Texas

Wow!

January 26, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  11. Tracy

What a pleasant read....A Kennedy's endorsement.

January 26, 2008 08:50 pm at 8:50 pm |
  12. Yolanda Diaz

Shame on her

January 26, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  13. Mimi

Why is CNN so crazy in love with Obama?
    the polls are out and you don't talk about it, instead, you put out a white endorsement for obama. downplaying the race card now?
    too little too late...

January 26, 2008 08:51 pm at 8:51 pm |
  14. Carolla Bell

Dear Caroline,

Thank you, thank you, Caroline. So many of us (white women, not youth) are
    fervently supporting Barack Obama. It helps so much when someone as
    known, respected, and loved as yourself endorses a candidate.

Sincerely,
    Carola Bell

January 26, 2008 08:52 pm at 8:52 pm |
  15. Lemont

Good for Caroline! Thank God, she knows a real winner when she see's one! Go Obama!!!!

January 26, 2008 08:53 pm at 8:53 pm |
  16. Raymond G.

This is just depressing.

January 26, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  17. Joshua

One Kennedy may lead to another, which might just secure the idea of Obama being the next JFK in the minds of many voters.

Now if he could get a Maria Shriver endorsement...

January 26, 2008 08:54 pm at 8:54 pm |
  18. morgan ehana

do not forget another kenedy endorsed hillary clinton.whats the big buzz about her.

January 26, 2008 08:55 pm at 8:55 pm |
  19. Mike

Fellow Democrats: I've come to the realization that Edwards will not recover from his consistent 3rd placings. I've come to the realization that between Hillary and Obama, only one of them can unite the country and win in the General Election. That person is Obama. Great news that Caroline sees this as well. Change is upon us.

January 26, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  20. kalliope

SWEET Caroline. The positive momentum continues. For the first time in weeks, the past (JFK, RFK) is a GOOD thing.

January 26, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  21. Stewart/Colbert 08

This is interesting....but I really would like to see IDEAS put into ACTION and universal health care not the HOPE for universal health care....I hope that Obama starts showing more substance

January 26, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  22. Robert in Albuquerque

so what. we all know these endorsements mean nothing.

January 26, 2008 08:56 pm at 8:56 pm |
  23. Susan

Thank you Caroline..your Dad and Mom would be proud.

January 26, 2008 08:58 pm at 8:58 pm |
  24. Shawn

Voters are getting tired of the Clinton's good cop/bad cop routine.....

January 26, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |