January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Derek Steinbeck

I'm disappointed with Caroline Kennedy appointing Barak Obama, he is not someone with vision and certainly not someone who can unite people. He took a different road, a devisive road. He knows he can't win the state of Florida and what most people don't know, regard that state as just a beauty contest which doesn't count! If you ignore the overwhelming vote of the people of Florida and don't take them serious enough, how can you than talk to be a person who unites people? He does it just out of political calculation! But this is wrong.
    Florida as much as Michigan had the right to vote when they want to and to be punished by the National Democratic party and not to allow their delegates at the National Convention to have voting rights for their favourite candidate is undemocratic and wrong. You can't just ignore these voices. These people are part of the USA and will be heard. Why Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina with their minority status should just have a big voice is wrong anyway and not democratic either.
    On Tuesday Florida will show the people of America they prefer Hillary Clinton as president and give her more momentum for Supertuesday. Obama's campaign already admitted it's not over on February 5th, because they know they will loose in most of the states! It's not about a candidate with nice words but a candidate who does action, and that will be Hillary Clinton! A president who will change the USA to a better place and the world as well!

Derek Steinbeck

January 26, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  2. Desiree

When did experience and hard work become such a bad thing and hoping something will happen and talking become such a good thing for democrats? The republicans are going to mop the floor with us in November and we deserve it.

January 26, 2008 10:16 pm at 10:16 pm |
  3. Marion

What a stupendous, inspiring, victory for Obama. What a tremendous repudiation of the divisive, mean-spirited, racist politics of Bill Clinton. As Ted Kennedy told WJC you're destroying the party. God bless Caroline Kennedy.

January 26, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  4. Joe

Great call for Caroline. Bill and Hillary are still betting that its a white mans world. Move over here comes the man for all the people. Give em Hell Barack.

January 26, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  5. david hills

Thank you Caroline for your leadership and courage! Shame for the NY Times for not being more courageous and endorsing Obama! Barack gives us hope and will win over any republican AND will unite our country. Think what the rest of the world will think with him as our leader. He's the real thing. Get to work out there and elect Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  6. Glenn

She sees that he wants to move us past the hate of the Clinton Bush terms.
    Lets move forward America. I'm a southern white Republican & I support Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  7. Ann Jones

Caroline Kennedy should be ashamed of herself. Obama and Hillary Clinton have already sold their souls to the corporate interests, due to their need to raise millions of dollars. They will not look out for the best interest of the American people, despite their rhetoric. The American people should vote for candidates such as Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee if they want what's best for themselves, their families, and this country.

January 26, 2008 10:21 pm at 10:21 pm |
  8. Responsiblevoter

Veronica I agree what you said, Obama is no JFK ! Whatever endorsement JFK's daughter Caroline does will not influence my decision whom to support among the candidates in the democratic primary. I happened to have more faith in Hillary Clinton as the person to best to fight the republican nominee. No doubt in my mind that Hillary can be an excellent American President.
    Let's all think of our country's resources is going down the drain due to Bush's reckless administration.

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  9. AnAmerican

There is no such thing as a white african american. In this country, if you are 1 millionth black...you are black. I have a white parent but when I walk down the street in...Ohio...I'm black. Not, white.

Now that the labels are out of the way, lets focus on the issues....

Hurray for you SC! You rock! Thanks for the boost! Hopefully, this fire will keep on burning and we can really make Ohio blue!

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  10. Barbara Casas-California

Way to go Caroline!

I was a "cross over voter" my very first time in 1960. I am a registered Republican and I voted for John Fitzgerald Kennedy.

I just may be a "cross over voter" this time, 48 years later, and vote for Obama, he looks to be the one to lead this country and get us back on track!......my decision came months ago before you made this statement but I thank you Caroline, your parents would be proud of you today for making this committment to the best candidate!

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  11. Nathan

I would love to see a political party offer non homeowers or homeowners that have paid off their home loan the opportunity to write off credit card interest. Give a tax write off choice between home or credit card interest on ones taxes. That gives everyone a write off instead of just those that can afford to buy.

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  12. sharon

I am can't help but wonder who all would he appoint ,since jfk had joe kennedy for a father who once locked himself in a hotel room with a ticker tape and didn't come out until he understood the nyse and jfk did hold office for much longer is Obama ready I would like to know more about who will be in his admin.I could vote for him I don't really care for kerry or kennedy they are always in the middle of everything knd of like newt and lott if you know what I mean We need some one who has a handle on all of it I wish they would show more on his abilities as a leader also his backround not like in 92 when after the fact they wanted to do every gate the could on clinton.And I think the media should muzzle its self they have caused enough division

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  13. Jose Card - Independent

It takes courage to speak against the going political tide. Many politicians are so used to tell us lies with a straight face. Bill first played buddy buddy nice guy with us and it did not work. Then he turned really ugly and it backfired. The Clintons deserve the loss when it's obvious that winning the White House is more important for them than their own party or the nation.

I am thankful that Dems are not all dead. A few still have the courage to speak for what they once believed in. First, it was Robert Reich, then John Kerry and now it's Caroline Kennedy. Unfortunately, our education has failed to teach us how to think critically. Shame on the teachers and I am one of them.

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  14. Shey

YES, WE CAN!!!

I have to giggle at the comments about endorsements not mattering.....unless it's for Clinton.......of course.
    And, I think Caroline Kennedy has all the right in the world to compare whoever she sees fit to HER father.
    Read the whole article she wrote before making really inane statements.

Again, because some seem too dense to get it. IL. counts their votes differently.
    Hopefully the Clintons can come up with a different talking point. One that isn't so easily dismissed upon further investigation.

Obama 08!!

January 26, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  15. rusty

Good news from Caroline Kennedy. But the best news was the trouncing Obama gave to Clinton (both of them). February 5th is going to be a huge test, but the result tonight , way better than expected, can only help. Thanks South Carolina, you sent a very loud and clear message, let's hope the rest of the country gets it.

January 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  16. Jeff an Independent

Thank you, Caroline.

You catch EXACTLY the sentiment of so many of us. Like your father, the arrival of a new era marked by the rising of new leadership. Like your father, against all odds. Like your father, a previous generation feels threatened, afraid of being disenfranchised ...

But know what? I'm older than Obama. I'm white. I'm a moderate conservative who on policy issues doesn't agree much with this man. But know what? He represents a different future, a better future than my generation has been able to pull off. So, for the sake of a next generation ...

Obama 08!

January 26, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  17. Angie

Ann, it's ironic that you say you hoped for a more objective vote from black people...and in the same post say that you hope SC was a wake up call for the white people. LOL Are you not encouraging people to vote on racial lines as well? I swear, I think many people in this country don't even know when they are being racist.

This country doesn't just need a pragmatic leader, it needs a leader that can UNIFY Congress. Every one fails to realize that nothing gets done as long as Congress stays divided. Hillary could never do that. She is the most polarizing candidate in the race on both sides. Does anyone in this country even understand the political process???

January 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  18. frank

I am just simple man…Politics is war of words, which chooses them carefully, will do well. But the true words from heart reflecting on the face who speaks them have to be true too and butting these words in effect you will needs more than words!? Just a thought…

January 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  19. JohnS

Somoe of us who are "old and wise" thank some of the minority groups who are supporting Obama. As an Independent, I know that some day another "minority" candidate, such as a Hispanic/Latina/Latino candidate will be up there and African Americans will REMEMBER this day!!!

January 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  20. Frank

Sorry to hear that the daughter has disgraced her father in this way!!! I'd like her to be a bit more specific on what Obama has that is so similar to her father! I wonder how much she really knows about her father! For her sake, she should let us know that she has actually bothered to look up his policies, his way of thinking, his approach to problem solving, etc... etc... Truely amazing!!!

January 26, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  21. GET REAL

One last thing, and then all you HILLBILLIES can have at it. I live in Illinois and I work for the Government! Obama answered the question on the voting present issue 130 times. Listen Carefully and let it sink in! In Illinois, you vote present if the issue at hand contains or doesn't conatin all the needed information or doesn't contain vital data needed to make an informed decision. A vote of present acknowledges the issue, but the issue itself needes clarification. I think the one thing it does show about Obama is that he will not make an uninformed decision, or just vote yes or no blindly. Can't say the same for Hillary. I mean, can any Hillary supporter here prove she didn't vote yes to go to war in Iraq, or vote yes on Pres Bush Iran intiative? I know Obama voted no on the war and on Iran!

OBAMA 08!

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  22. Akpomuje

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    For the first time in modern history, the white man / woman -American -yes and indeed in a global context too, is faced with the question of how sincere and matured his / her commitment towards the evolution of mankind is… Casting a vote for Obama is a true test in this regard!!! THANK YOU CAROLINE YOU ARE TRUELY JFK's BELOVED

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  23. Eric

JFK is rolling in his grave right now.

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  24. Goody Eugene, OR

Too young? Not at all. The truth is Mr. Obama does not have enough experience!
    His decision to not continue working in the Senate and get that experience, speaks volumes. I suggest you folks do some serious thinking about which Democrat is most QUALIFIED.

Concerned American 4 Hillary.

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  25. titi

I hope every americans will open their eyes and mind and see how bleak the future is with the old brigade moving us round the circle. I am tired of same same story let us have a change, we need a young heart and a young brain Obama will do well.

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |