January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. NextPresident

Charles,

The question is why are people not referring to him as an American. When white candidates ran in all the previous elections no one ever mentioned their race so why question Mr. Obama's. I think that SC has shown that they are not concerned with race but more concerned with issues. If any takes not Obama crosses racial lines and isinclusive not exclusive like past candidates have been.

I feel that people across the country are sick and tired of these old divisive so called black leaders and old white racist. Enough is enough and the people are speaking and they do not want the crooks back in office.

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  2. Adam

130 out of 4000 is not significant.

I wish Hillary had voted present on the Iraq war authorization.

January 26, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  3. Edward Green

To Anahuimbruin and Ellen,Obama is not saying he is Kennedy,ok. At least am tired of the Clintons' for their lies and machinations. They will lie or cry just to win an election!God save America!

January 26, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  4. Reco Davis, Atlanta

A constant theme of this campaign season has been "Change". I think it is time to move from change into transformation just as a caterpillar does not merely change into a butterfly, but undergoes a process of transformation to emerge a wholly, distinctively different creature.

Our country now has this opportunity for transformation too, but let us never forget that WE THE PEOPLE have to break through the cocoon of the challenges we face together. And just as it is imperative that the butterfly must break through the cocoon on its own, so must we...as individual, free citizens with a common purpose of living out our God given rights in this land of purple mountain majesties.

So, let us not be controlled by fear. The time for fear politics is coming to an end. Just as we want to live our lives free of being told what to do, and how to live our lives as long as we are not infringing upon the rights of another...let us not seek to tell other countries and peoples how to live as long as they are not infringing upon the rights of others as well.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

Also, it is time to stop excessive taxation. The founders would not have put up with anyone telling them how to spend their hard earned money. Why are we? It is time to take personal responsibility for our finances, so that we can see clearly how to remove the beam of financial irresponsibility from our government once and for all.

True responsibility lies not in the hands of the federal government to take care of its citizens, but in the hands of WE THE PEOPLE to take care of each other. Lack of knowledge is no longer an excuse.

So ask yourselves this question whenever you hear a policitian say they are going to do this and that. HOW ARE WE GOING TO PAY FOR IT?

Now is the time to spread our wings like butterflies. Do not be controlled by fear. Questions are our greatest weapon, and the hope of a better present, not just future, is our promise! Let freedom ring!

January 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  5. Sherri

Ben, so very well put.
    Obama keeps chanting "change", but has never laid out any plans, told us any specifics. Frankly, ANY one of the candidates is a "change". Obama is offering nothing but catch phrases and rhetoric. There's nothing behind his promise of change.
    Honestly, it's not "change" that I'm looking for. I want experience, because we need someone to restore our standing abroad, to manage domestic issues, to fix the mess that Bush is leaving behind.
    If Obama can not tell us what kind of "change" he has planned and how to get it done, then I don't want him trying to figure it out in The Oval Office. I want someone to get in there and hit the ground running because they KNOW what to do and how to do it.
    There's too much at stake and too many problems to trust to a novice just because some people want history to be made.

January 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  6. Chell

Caroline is not saying Obama is her father, but rather Obama brings the hope that folks were looking for back in the 60's. Any president can promise us change, but we all know if Congress wants to stonewall him they can and have do so in the past. I like many of the candidates but for once I want to talk about my president with a smile on my face and not wonder what lies are being told this week. Hilliary has baggage and I am not in mood of waiting for her to sort it out while the country continues in a down hill spiral.

January 26, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  7. Manny, NY

Congrats Obama!
    We are patiently waiting for you in general election to squizees the GOP's nuts.

January 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  8. Eugene Hall

The CNN staff accomplished their goal to have Obama win over Hillary Clinton. She can't overcome another candidate and GOP CNN too.
    Hillary is the best qualified by far and all those CNN so-called newsmen/women, actually campaigners for the republican party have not given me any reason to believe differently. Your scorn, put-downs, sarcastic remarks and gleeful attitude at her loss is not reasons for voting against her unless, as I suggested above you are trying to save the GOP from trying to put their dirty tricks to work against her.
    You dumb clowns deserve another
    GOP administration. Even you with all your know it all comments don't seem to understand that the whole subprime loan fiasco was caused by Ronald Reagans government reduction and laws deletions program with all his ignorant stupidity.
    He might be a wonderful communicator, but when you communicate the wrong answers and then force them on to the country, it is not good for any body, especially the big businesses he was trying to promote in their efforts to rip off the American people; to help his rich friends take our money from us faster than they could with the laws in place. Many of his rich friends are paying big prices for his greed. The big banks and home loan company's are some of them. The big E was another example of Reagan's greed.

Eugene Hall

January 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  9. joe

I cant begin to think how stupid south carolina is. OBAMA WOULD BE A GIFT FOR REPUBLICANS.

VOTE FOR HILLARY ON FEB. 5

January 26, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  10. Ivan

Ottila,

It is my understanding that the "present" votes in Illinois politics are actually the equivalent of protest votes, similar to abstentions but with more signficance.

For instance, if proposed legislation had funding for say.....education, but did not include any funding for say.....low income elderly housing. A common occurrence in Illinois would be for the proponent of both funding proposals to vote "present". He/she can not vote against the bill because that would be seen as a vote against education. He/she can not vote for the bill, because it does not contain the funding for the elderly housing and he/she would be cast as against that issue.

It sucks, but welcome to politics.

Ivan

January 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  11. Scaevola

I was recently asked to write a list of 10 politicians in history I considered the greatest, and I could hardly come up with that small number. So often politics is played like a game for power, and so rarely is it realized that politics is about the science of government and not the art of manipulation. Obama is one of those few politicians I have ever seen that realizes this; his enorsement and win today are merited and very welcome, and just maybe with the win today American politics can be set down a path that produces politicians more like a professional species of scientific statesmen than power-hungry, parasitic demagogues.

January 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  12. Kelly

January 26, 2008 9:19 pm ET

Statement made by "Ben" earlier this evening...

"I think people are being a little naive. When will CNN start asking what "change" Obama intends to bring? All this "big picture" stuff reminds me of Bush back in 2000. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Obama is Bush… I just think he's feeding everyone a bunch of feel good talk without any details. As I listen to his speech tonight, I hear this talk of "coming together"… I don't think coming together is what's wrong with the country… We're together enough. We need some "REAL" details on how's he's going to fix education, the economy, foreign policy….. WHEN WILL SOMEONE START ASKING HIM???? I hear it from the Clinton's over and over and we've seen them lead with success in he 90's."

READ HIS BOOK "THE AUDACITY OF HOPE". HIS IDEAS ARE WRITTEN OUT VERY CLEARLY. HAVE YOU WATCHED THE DEBATES? HE HAS CONTINUALLY GIVEN DETAILS. GO TO HIS WEBSITE. THERE ARE ALSO LOTS OF DETAILS THERE. MOST OF THE SPEECHES YOU SEE ARE AT RALLIES AND FOR VICTORIES IN THE PRIMARIES. HE'S NOT GOING TO GIVE A LOT OF DETAILS THEN. HE'S TALKING TO HIS SUPPORTERS ALREADY AFTER ALL, IN THOSE VENUES.

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THAT EVERYONE READ OBAMA'S LATEST BOOK AS I STATED. I AM A REGISTERED REPUBLICAN AND AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING VOTING FOR OBAMA IN NOVEMBER (IF HE IS NOMINATED OF COURSE). HE IS INSPIRING, POSITIVE, AND FULL OF IDEAS FOR AMERICA.

January 26, 2008 10:29 pm at 10:29 pm |
  13. Dx

Can't recall who is she? No big deal, someone looking for abit of attention. Look Obama won 80% of the african american vote. Only three states have the same base in the South. Hillary won, NH, Nevada, MIchigan, tuesday Florida! Everyone votes in the real election, take note!

So, whats does it really mean...

Obama won Iowa and South Carolina, So looking at the scope, who should be more worried....

Obama 2016

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  14. John

In the collective subjectivity of society, likeliness is not arrived through a checklist of background facts but it is apparent that if he looks or sounds or feels like JFK then he is like JFK.

Yes Obama is no JFK. He is not then, he is not the former president but the future-president hopeful (hopeful optional). But like JFK was he is the hope for a generation that wants to believe in their leaders as much as their parents believed in JFK. I for one want to be part of the the issues that my leader will address. I want to matter. We all want to matter.

This is what Caroline suggests to me by her endorsement and that's why it is news.

Alas! They are all politicians and politics ways beyond my comprehension will decide who wins(sic) but I hope the message of his campaign is never forgotten by his supporters and non supporters alike!

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  15. Jeff

I am reading some of these posts – who are these people to tell Caroline what her father is like? Call me crazy, but I think she would know her own father better than most of the american public. Maybe some of the Hillary supporters should take a second look at the direction of this country and see if we can really stand another four years of bitter political partisanship.

Go Obama!

January 26, 2008 10:30 pm at 10:30 pm |
  16. Paul

I still yearn for someone to explain to me how Hillary's 8 years serving as first lady is better experience than Obama's experience as a State Senator, Senator, Community Organizer and Civil Rights and Constitutional Lawyer. Please. Anybody? Hillary's experience and Barack's lack thereof are myths.

January 26, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  17. jenny

YES WE CAN!!! WE ARE ONE NATION UNITED. change is inevitable.
    choice is between past vs. future
    obama 2008

January 26, 2008 10:31 pm at 10:31 pm |
  18. Angie

Also, maybe after the subtle racial innuendos that Bill has been throwing out all week, the black people did vote for who they thought was the most qualified candidate. Your opinion is obviously different. I think Hillary is a slimy, win at all costs, power hungry person so she would not be my choice. I would happily vote for Obama or Edwards, but Edwards is too far down for it to make a difference at this point. Stop acting like the black people in SC didn't think about the candidate they chose just because they voted for Obama. I would have been surprised if they did vote for Hillary after all the Bill hooplah this week. It was disgusting. I held him in such high regard before and I did vote for him in the past. I'm not saying he shouldn't campaign for his wife, but he should be in the background. He overshadowed his wife making it appear like she couldn't do it on her own. That's not the kind of woman for president that I want. I want a woman that can stand on her own two feet, not ride her husband's coattails.

January 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  19. Patty

Another person caught up in the Obama-rama razzmatazzz. Sorry to hear of her erroneous decision.

January 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  20. Ginny, CA

Caroline, dear, I have always loved you and your family. I was 27 when your father was elected. He had it all: intelligent, years and years of experience, and ideas that were new. He and his brothers had been groomed since childhood for public service and elective office. He brought excitement, hope, and freshness to the political scene. Barack Obama is no John Kennedy. Not even close. He is simply empty rhetoric: can't explain how he will achieve his goals for our country, or even what his goals are beyond hope, dreams, a new beginning, change, etc. All nebulous terms that he cannot explain. They sound good, but with nothing to back them up, they are meaningless. I am truly shocked that you have endorsed Obama, a man who is relatively new to the political scene and has so little public service experience. When your father talked about change, he was able to express exactly what he meant, how it would benefit our nation, and how he would go about achieving it. In his short time as president, he achieved much. I treasure his memory.

January 26, 2008 10:32 pm at 10:32 pm |
  21. Joe

Her opinion matters as much as......as.......as......sorry, I really cant find anything so totally insignificant to compare it to.

January 26, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  22. Hispanic Woman for Obama

Anaheimbruin - learn how the use of "Present" can be used as a strategic tool. Just don't repeat the propaganda you've heard. READ. Do your own research. Look at Barack Obama's record. Only then you can form an opinion.

January 26, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  23. Anthony

Bush(VP), Bush(VP), Bush, Clinton, Clinton, Bush, Bush, Clinton, Clinton

Does anyone believe that 36 years of political domination by two families is good for America?

In a country of 300+ million, surely we can find at least one member of another family that can be president.

This is NOT good for our great republic.

January 26, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  24. Alecki

Obama is no t even in JFK.'s league. President Kennedy held elected office in DC for yearsl He had beed in the House for three terms, He also had 2 terms in the Senate. Obama has no similarities to JFK and never will.

Keep going Hillary . Pray that your husband stays vocal with God's guidance.

You'll get there.

January 26, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |
  25. Iwona

Obama will change this country like no one ever since John Kennedy! This country need a leader who will take care of its people – those "downstairs" – not "upstairs"; the ones "upstairs" are taking a too good of a care of themselves since forever.

January 26, 2008 10:34 pm at 10:34 pm |