January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Renea Burman

The rest of the United States is seeing what we in Illinois have for years. Thank you Caroline Kennedy! Go Barack!!

January 26, 2008 10:36 pm at 10:36 pm |
  2. Kathy

What Caroline Kennedy had to say was beautiful . . . regardless of the cynics on this blog! I already planned on voting for Obama, but I love the fact that Caroline is endorsing him.

January 26, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  3. Viki

Obama is no JFK.
    But everybody has right to have own opinion.
    I vote Hillary because against all of this negativity she still stands.
    Hillary 2008!

January 26, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  4. Fred

Look at how much each canidate raised. Then look at their position in the polls. You people think your deciding who is president? LOL Too funny. You guys rock. Keep up the laughs. Heres how I would vote for president. Id see who collected the least amount of money, which canidate is getting the least media coverage. Made sure his policies were sound, then vote that way. Then I would be sure he or she would be right for America if the media or big corporations weren't backing them.

January 26, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  5. Nita

What a shame. With all respect to Ms. Kennedy she dropped the ball on this one. There was posters of MLK at the polls!!! Talk about that.

January 26, 2008 10:37 pm at 10:37 pm |
  6. bjn7671

"Times are a changin' " BUT I will fear for my country if Obama is elected president. His campaign is a nicely packaged, polished machine with a lot of ooey gooey, feel good, fluff. We need someone to DO something about our freedoms being taken away from us, change the direction of our country, and replace partisan politics with actions not pretty words.

January 26, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  7. Matt

Why is everybody so weepy over this acceptance speech?? Somebody else wrote it and he is just a good speaker! Does that make him a good president?

Vote for somebody that knows what they are doing...Go Hillary!

January 26, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  8. Darth Vadik, CA

Bob Delvin, it is the Kennedies and FDR's that have made this country great, not koooks like Ron Paul.

January 26, 2008 10:38 pm at 10:38 pm |
  9. cyrone

This is really a good look for Obama.

January 26, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  10. Anne Butera

Go Hillary!!! Caroline, I respect you, but this does not change my vote.

January 26, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  11. Mike

I believe americans need to stop with the african americans, white americans, asian americans and latin americans comments. We need to unite as AMERICANS to make america what it once was. A strong unified country. I think Obama and a strong supporting staff can do this. It is a time for change. OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT.

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  12. senlay

I believe that Caroline Kennedy's endorsement is as relevant as the endorsements of the celeb's Hilary brought with her to S.C. .... interesting, worth noting (if what they have to say has intelligent meaning) and somewhat entertaining. The endorsement that counts most to me is MY endorsement.

I am a reasonably intelligent senior citizen who is ready for change. For me that does not include a candidate who seems to be willing to do anything to win. It makes me wonder how much that candidate would work for a better America. I was a Clinton supporter who admired Obama. Funny thing is that it was the negative campaigning by Bill and Hillary that moved me into Obama's camp.
    Perhaps that also had an impact on African Americans in South Carolina where Hillary was leading until after Iowa when the negative campaigning began. Seems to me that Obama's win there was not a racial vote but a vote against the devisiveness the Clintons brought into this campaign.

Thank you.

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  13. Dorothy Patton

Why didn't you mention the Atlanta Journal & Constitution Paper endorsement of Obama, this is an endorsement by the biggest paper in Atlanta! Did I hear this wrong a week ago?

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  14. Jane

What 35 years experience is Hillary really laying claim to?

If you are sick, would you see your Dr's wife in the absence of your doctor?

Then, why on earth does being the spouse of a President make you a President.

This woman could not even manage her home and straying husband together.

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  15. Utrena

The race card is not an issue. The results clearly reflects support from all races. The people spoke tonight. Thank you Caroline for the endorsement...

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  16. John

Its always interesting to hear people voice how they feel and what they are moved by and I commend Caroline Kennedy for it. As I read the blog one thing is clear, there is still a lot of confusion, and anger in America. the comments are they dont have enough information from Obama, but when he give it, then they say oh, that wont work. Whe he talks about change they say its a fairy tale. First, take the time to go the the websites of the other candidates and do your homework instead of forming an opinion by one blurb on the news or 2 or 3 presidential debates, thats whats wrong we make judgements based on a sound bite, form a position and then wonder how in the world George Bush got in the white house.

Finally its interesting that Hillary Clinton runs on experience, because the knock on Bill Clinton when he was running is that he didnt have any experience in Washington, but like most things the Clintons say what they think we want to hear, think we are too dumb to remember, and they will say anything to get into the white house

January 26, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  17. Marlene

"We need a change in leadership . . . for a new generation of Americans."

Thank you, Caroline. Barack Obama is our future. He represents all of us and our dreams and hopes.

And to you who think it's just racial in SC, I live in NC but have been volunteering for months in SC for Obama – and I'm a 50 year old white woman. Our volunteer and support groups are very diverse in age, gender, and ethnicity.

We are very proud of what we are accomplishing, together. Join us! Be a Hopemonger and Get Involved!

January 26, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  18. Canadian

charles ROBINSON
    "i am a white male living in Ohio. I wonder why people keep on refering to Obama as an african american and not as a white african american. After all, his mother is white and therefore do not see why we the all white keep on refering to him as an african american. He stood between the whites and blacks and therefore urge all whites not to brand him as blacks because we the whites also deserve good people like Obama."

Charles Robinson my dear, I believe that you best describe him “White African American”. What an astonishing term(s) that best describes “UNITY”. As an African American female, I agree that both whites and blacks should take pride in him because we all deserve good people like “JFK” & now, “Obama”.

January 26, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  19. Eith

A great night for Mr. Obama. President Kennedy was not just an American President. He was one in a few, if not the first of his kind, who is celebrated across cultures, nationalities, races, religions and continents. The world discovered him once but never stopped loving him. All who seek to lead us, especially in America, ought to be measured to him.

January 26, 2008 10:43 pm at 10:43 pm |
  20. lara

who cares what she believes? she never knew his dad as a president...hardly did anyone else: he got killed w/out being able to prove himself...what people idolize is "the could have been" of the kennedy guy...we don't want a "maybe" or a "he has potential" candidate...we need someone who can clean up this mess and understands international relations....that is clinton

to deny obama won because of the black vote is soooo ridiculous....

January 26, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  21. Sharx

Black is IN, it seems, in entertainment, music, and sports.

And, it seems, in the endorsements of people like John "Flip Flop" Kerry and Caroline "Silver Spoon" Kennedy.

Why not? Endorse the young, inexperienced black presidential candidate and appear "enlightened" to young people everywhere.

I've heard Obama speak. He is a gifted speaker. Unfortunately, he lacks experience and, it seems from his 130 "present" votes, a backbone.

Ride the wave, Obama.

From Hip Hop to politics, black is where it's at.

January 26, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  22. joe

I AM A MINORITY BUT I SUPPORT HILLARY

MEDIA HAS TURNED THIS INTO A CIRCUS LIKE THEY DID WITH "W" A MAN YOU CAN BEER WITH..LOL..AND LOOK WHERE WE ARE NOW

I CAN SEE OBAMA LATER BUT NOT NOW HE IS DOE NOT HAVE EXPERIENCE

AS A MINORITY I WANT SOMEONE AS PRESIDENT THAT HAS EXPERIENCE AND THAT IS HILLARY

January 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  23. Patricia Boice

Obama is smart and inspiring, the same for Edwards. Hillary is smart and not inspiring. Thank you, Caroline, for endorsing Obama!

January 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  24. Isaiah

Well, Hillary was upset when the comparison was drawn between Obama and JFK. Now what? Will she accuse Caroline of attacking her the way she falsely accused Obama of attacking her for comparing himself to JFK and MLK?

I like when the Clintons lose : it gets more interesting what they always come up with to regain ground - to win at all costs.

January 26, 2008 10:46 pm at 10:46 pm |
  25. another awesome person

Fantastic! and good for her.

January 26, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |