January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. True Democrat

Thank you Ms. Kennedy! That was a very special op ed, and a wonderful endorsement of Mr. Obama.

It's Obama's inspirational message that's going to go all the way in November... if any Democrats out there are still voting Hillary because you think she has the best chance to win, you could be in for a rude awakening if she manages to get the nomination.

Obama '08!

January 26, 2008 10:48 pm at 10:48 pm |
  2. california voter

caroline kennedy is one of my heroes–i love everything she's written, so intelligent and inspiring, such a devoted mother. nonetheless, hillary will still get my vote, for i also love what she's written, what she's worked for in the past. she's so intelligent and inspiring, such a devoted mother. its wonderful to know there are so many great women around making such a difference in the world!

January 26, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |
  3. Larry Buchas, New Britain, CT

A voice of integrity supporting another voice of integrity.

And she recognizes a President badly needed. One with honesty, character and showing good judgment.

Americans have to discount the color of Obama's skin. I will go further with Caroline's comparison to her father. I see qualities of Lincoln in this man. It's certainly above any Bush or Clinton.

January 26, 2008 10:50 pm at 10:50 pm |
  4. pnutbutter

SHAME ON YOU CNN....I USED TO ENJOY SEEING A LITTLE MORE BALANCED COVERAGE OF THE NEWS WHEN WATCHING CNN., HOWEVER, YOU ALL HAVE TOTALLY DISTORTED THE ACTIVITIES OF THE CLINTON CAMPAIGN. THEY DID NOT START THE RACE ISSUE, NOR WERE THEY TRYING TO KEEP IT GOING, YOU ALL WERE. CNN, MSNBC AND EVEN OLD FOX TRIED TO STAY OUT CAUSE THEY KNOW IF THE DEMS NOMINATE OBAMA, THEY WILL RUN HIM RIP HIM TO SHREDS BEFORE ANYBODY'S NATIONAL ELECTION... GO HILLARY – P.S. I AM A BLACK FEMALE AND PROUD TO SAY, I WILL NOT VOTE FOR HIM JUST BECAUSE HE'S BLACK, NOR HER JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A FEMALE...

January 26, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  5. Susan Maloff

Obama does not have the experience to become President now. Maybe 10 years from now but not now. The Washington political machine will eat him alive and nothing will change. In fact, things will probably get worse. Please, we are all Americans....just look at what he has done so far. He is not qualified to be President.

January 26, 2008 10:51 pm at 10:51 pm |
  6. Whitecloud

I am a 70 yrs. , white female and I cannot remember a presidential candidate that I have been so excited about since John F. Kennedy.

I am supporting Obama all the way. America needs him.

January 26, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  7. Bruno

the hillary-billary double-gun of dirt they shot at obama has just given the clintons the kind of backfire that could be expected. this election can't be won by this aggressive, arrogant kind of trying to put the other candidate down, and South Carolina ist the beginning of the end for the clintons. they are of the past and operate with past political tactics which the voters have had enough of. it's time for a new kind of politics that unifies instead of divids. the democrats will never be able to win against mc cain with this divisive clintons-politics of the past. the recent dirty tricks by the clintons have alarmed the democrats that they better bet on the right horses to run the race in november, and that will be the obama-edwards ticket..the clintons would lose the november election for sure.

January 26, 2008 10:52 pm at 10:52 pm |
  8. Nikole

Please factcheck everything you have ever heard about Obama. Voting present does not represent a lack of a position, but is relative to the bill being introduced. It could mean that I support the bill, but would like to compromise on some of the details. Investigate the use of voting present in several instances in the Illinois Senate and you just might learn something you didn't already know.

barackobama.com has a fact check button on its page that leads to independent sources, or you can look things up on your own. But people, please do the research for yourselves instead of accepting what is forcefed through the media, rogue emails, etc.

January 26, 2008 10:53 pm at 10:53 pm |
  9. chuckw085

As a conservative Republican, I must say that Caroline Kennedy is right on target. Ashamedly, I voted for the current White House occupant twice as I share many of the same values. However, after witnessing the deplorable management of the executive office by this administration, I can't wait for this term to end.

As I looked to the Republican field for a candidate to support, I found no one to be different than the current oval office occupant. The all talked about how they would "manage" this war in Iraq differently when I need to hear someone say we must get out as we should have never gone in the first place.

Of all the candidates on both sides of the aisle, I found one who offered a refreshing vision of change. I also realized that I do not agree with most of his positions, but his sincere call for consensus is the only one I believe.

Never mind how long he has been in Washington, in fact, his short tenure in this town of entrenched special interest is actually a plus, not a liability.Now is the time to put aside spitting matches about who has more experience and rally behind the one candidate who can unite, lead and inspire, Barack Obama.

I join you Caroline, in support of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I hope the rest of America will jooin as well.

January 26, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  10. Khwaty

An endorsement of Caroline has no impact how the people will cast their vote on super tuesday, the biggest concern right now of every American is the ECONOMY.

January 26, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  11. DZ

Merci Calorine!

January 26, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  12. Derek Steinbeck

For the record:
    By the way why does Caroline Kennedy gets so much publicity and hardly anyone talks or knows that Robert F Kennedy Junior has endorsed Hillary Clinton already in December 2007 and for the record he is a great fighter if it comes to green issues. I hope that this important voicecwould get more attention. Thanks Robert!

Derek

January 26, 2008 10:54 pm at 10:54 pm |
  13. Elizabeth R. Baecher

The Obama victory comes as a breath of fresh air. Long may it blow!

January 26, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  14. Barbara

This is for Ann....if you look at the numbers in South Carolina you will see that it wasn't "just the blacks" voting to support one of their own. Many intelligent, hopeful white folk cast their votes with Senator Obama too. Please don't dismiss the people who vote for a better political climate in this country. There are too many that are disenchanted with right vs.left, blue vs. red, rich vs. poor, black vs. white. We look for change and feel that we have a chance of getting that change with Senator Obama. So as for your wake up call to the whites....well some of us have heard that call and are supporting the best man for the job.

January 26, 2008 10:55 pm at 10:55 pm |
  15. sandy

Thank you Caroline. I was 18 when your father ran for President and I have not been inspired by anyone since then, that is until Obama came along. I know exactly what you are saying and I hope the rest of America listens. I think this man can unite this country and hopefully take us back to being respected through out the world again. He certainly has my vote.

January 26, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  16. Cesaria

Ann, race baiting such as yours is destructive to the Democratic party and it's dimissive of the black vote. Did you challenge the white women voting for Hillary's tears in NH? Stop this madness right now, it's divisive.

January 26, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  17. Susan Maloff

I did leave my comment and you didn't print it. It was negative about CNN. I will look again tomorrow but I don't believe that you will have the integrity to print it.

Susan Maloff
    maloff813@gmail.com

January 26, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  18. Senkump

"A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes. The best line in American political history. Shame on others who cannot recongize and endorse Obama. Those who don't believe in leadership change are not true Americans but only evils who will be soon defeated by truth and hope.

Yes We Can ! Obama 08

January 26, 2008 10:56 pm at 10:56 pm |
  19. Matt

I'm a 24 year old white independent voter and was all smiles when reading this endorsement. It's time for America to grow up. Obama is a one of a kind politician and is extremely capable of getting the job done without the same old political baggage that has burdened this country for years. If he wins the nomination he should pick up Edwards as running mate. Watching Obama debate Mccain would be reminiscent of JFK vs Nixon!

January 26, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  20. gman

Hillary talks about the good times in the 90s. What I remember about the 90s...investigations...impeachment...and what "is" is. I'm not voting the past....I'm voting for the future. The future is Obama!!!!

January 26, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  21. Wise

We voters have to be wise... in picking the candidate that is capable in leading .. and well experienced... NOT just CHANGE... CHANGE ...CHANGE...

If we don't pick the right person... Yes.. we will have CHANGE... but CHANGE TO THE WORSE...

What I am trying to say is... DON'T JUST BUY INTO CHANGE... Because we don't like what we are now... We have to think who is a better candidate... with QUALIFICATION....

January 26, 2008 10:58 pm at 10:58 pm |
  22. ABC-anyone but clinton

AWESOME!!!!

OBAMA 2008!

January 26, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  23. Devan Lewis

I'm 16 and I'm from mississippi and where i grow up, politics are not even mention....i'm black and its very hard out there in world to even become something.....i'm not supporting obama cause he's black, i'm supporting him because he actually got me off the streets and made me realize that i can become somethin in this world and I'm not a nobody......I have plenty of white friends and now i can IF HE CAN DO, SO CAN I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I may can't vote but i will spread his message of change throughout the streets of Mississippi!!!!

OBAMA 08!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  24. Susan Maloff

I see that you put these 2 comments in but where is the one where I critized CNN?

Susan Maloff

January 26, 2008 10:59 pm at 10:59 pm |
  25. Carl

I'am a white Canadian,male, age 68.
    I have seen the greatness of your father in Obama from the begining.
    Thanks Caroline for being such a visionary and i am sure your endorsment
    will help get a brillant black man in the White House.
    Talk to Uncle Ted.