January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. v.ananthan

!***A president with no experiance will be heavilly depending on OTHERS!!!!****

January 26, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  2. Staylor

I am an independent and my spouse is a Republican. For the time in our lives we will be making a contribution to a political candidate. Obama has inspired both us. He inspires us to believe that a new chapter for America is just around the corner.

January 26, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  3. Mary in SC

As I read through these responses, I guess I should not have been surprised to see the Hillary Clinton supporters spewing negative and devisive words. Just goes to show the kind of spirit she promotes. Same old same old. It's time to move on.

January 26, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  4. Pierre Morton

Fantastic endorsement. Obama reminds me in a way of Bobby K. I am impressed with Carolin's statements and I hope it opens a lot of closed eyes. Thanks Carolin.

January 26, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  5. Paula Higgins

Bob Devlin, I am laughing my head off over your comments, even though I sure don't support Ron Paul. Independent Woman are you clueless? Caroline was a very little girl when her father died. I am sure she actually remembers very little about him in his role as President. Like most of us, she has to read about him. I think her position as a former President's daughter has very little or no bearing at all on who we elect as President.

January 26, 2008 11:02 pm at 11:02 pm |
  6. Carole

I am disappointed in her endorsement. I applaud Robert F Kennedy Jr. I hope Senator Ted Kennedy will follow his nephews lead.

HILLARY 2008

January 26, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  7. Marvin, Dallas, TX

CALIFORNIA & NY OPRAH RALLYS

If it is at all possible for Oprah to do rallies in California and NY. It would help win those states. Winning California will get much delegates and beating Hillary in her own states New York will damage her going forward after the Super Tuesday Votes.

January 26, 2008 11:03 pm at 11:03 pm |
  8. leadership for america

Hi, I'm a 50-something female lawyer whose father......oh, crap, my father was not elected president 47 years ago......but I think what this country needs is leadership along with change. Obama may promise change, but Hillary promises change and leadership. Obama is Jr. Varsity. He'll be ready in 8 years.

January 26, 2008 11:04 pm at 11:04 pm |
  9. Leo

"Black voters, who made up 53 percent of the electorate in South Carolina — up from 47 percent in 2004 — overwhelmingly backed Obama over fellow front-runner Hillary Clinton by 80 percent to 18 percent."

who is surprised??? Edwards???

January 26, 2008 11:05 pm at 11:05 pm |
  10. Kevin

People will not automatically vote becasue of an endoresment – but many people will look at a candidate because of an endoresement. This wll draw some folks – older, whiter, to look at this man, maybe for the first time. It will make a difference – over time as people consider him.

Bravo Mr. Obama. Thank you Ms. Kennedy

January 26, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  11. ITS SIMPLE

55% that's all i have to say...Beat her soo bad she couldnt even do her "Squeaky" stump speech.

OBAMA08!

January 26, 2008 11:06 pm at 11:06 pm |
  12. Heather

I was a young teen when your father was in office. I agree that a change should be made. Obama never tells us what he is going to do other then ""We are going to change". I'm scared. I am a 53 year old young lady and I am lost as to who to believe. I am a repulican and I would love to vote for John McCain but he is questioned as being too old. I hope you are right. His name alone is not going to work in the middle east. To enodrse him gives hem carte' blanch and you know that. The recession is terrible. People are losing money hand and foot. We have still not settled housing in Katrina. What is our country doing to handle these problems. The only thing I see, is private people helping out. Do you honestly think that He will be able to handle all these problems? I'm thinking MIchael Blumberg might just be the answer. Heather Waksey

January 26, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  13. Adrian

I read Caroline Kennedy's op-ed piece in the NYT and just has one question for her – How do mere words and inspiration solve the economic and social problems? Yes, people could be inspired to do good via Peace Corps etc. But when hard reality sets in, you need experience and the know-how to devise solutions to problems. That's the stark failure of JFK in his short presidency. Despite his campaign promises and soaring rhetoric, JFK had not solve a single problem to the economy, health-care or the inner-cities. That's the type of presidency Obama would probably brings because he has not explained clearly and in detail how he plans to fix the economy, healthcare and others. All he says is change, and bringing people together. But you need more than that. Reagan tried to bring change and making people feel good and what happen in the end?

Its amazing that educated people like Caroline Kennedy could be so swept up with Obama's rhetoric to actually think Obama could bring real substantive changes to America and the world. I think if you speak to the bread and butter voters, they would think otherwise because actions matter more than words and inspiration.

January 26, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  14. Ross

Endorsements do not influence how I vote.

I support HRC and if Obama gets the nomination I will be voting for McCain. Experience is more important than excellent speeches. Obama is untested and I will never cast my vote for him.

January 26, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  15. DR

Change does not happen just because there is talk about it. Politicians are known to give false hopes and promises and after election to fail to deliver. Obama keeps everyone on their toes about change but does not provide any clue as to HOW that change will happen. Even if his campaing has gathered so many millions, his talk is still cheap.

January 26, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  16. Nate

Caroline knows her father better than any of us. And if she says he's like Obama then I believe her. Being that Caroline once spoke with Hillary in my city about women's rights I think this endorsement of Barack Obama says a lot. It had to be a difficult personal decision for Caroline. I hope it will give women another reason to give Obama a chance. Obama has held elective office longer than Clinton and has a great record on women's rights issues.

Also Caroline writes with a beautiful eloquence rarely seen.

January 26, 2008 11:08 pm at 11:08 pm |
  17. Joe Shields, Pittsburgh PA

As good as Teddy Roosevelt was as President, when he tried to come back years later in the Bull Moose party he soon found that the country had moved on and left him behind. So it is with the Clintons. The 90's are gone. The Clintons need to, like old soldiers, just fade away.

Caroline Kennedy is right.... 'this year, that [the Clintons] may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country.

January 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  18. brenda

well said Kathy1111 I think Obama will make a good presidentfor us .

January 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  19. "obama girl"

OMG thank you!
    this is exactly the kind of support Obama needs!
    wootttt!

January 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  20. colene

I want change for America just like everyone else. I know it won't be easy and it will take everyone working together. I also would very much like to see a Obama/Edwards or Edwards/Obama ticket.

January 26, 2008 11:09 pm at 11:09 pm |
  21. Debra

Thank you charles ROBINSON, good point!!

Obama is what our country needs!

January 26, 2008 11:11 pm at 11:11 pm |
  22. Independent

I really don't care who endorses OBAMA i will still vote for whom ever i want to.
    I am a woman and i have a mind of my own and don't need someone else telling me that we need to vote for a certain person.
    Caroline you are so far off track that he is like your father. I guess you didn't know you father at all.

January 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  23. Richard from Detroit

If she really "FEELS" for Obama like she does than the proper course would be to marry him.Hey if Sarkozy did it then so can Caroline and Obama.Anyway Obama,s wife face looks alittle to dizzy, I think a " CHANGE" yes thats the ticket " CHANGE" is in order for Mr Obama, isn,t that what he has been preaching .Change for the Good of America, than I declare Obama and Caroline Husband and Wife.Hey!!! that will solidify the Irish Catholic voters.You have now just entered the Twilight Zone!!!! How weird can this Democratic election get.?

January 26, 2008 11:12 pm at 11:12 pm |
  24. zs

GO HILLARY!!!

OBAMA, where is the beef??? ...I don't hear specifics about how you ar going to fix the country.

January 26, 2008 11:13 pm at 11:13 pm |
  25. Mel in MT

I am a 47 yr old white female in a decidedly white state. This is the FIRST TIME in my life I have become involved in a presidential campaign.

Barack's message of change and forward thinking approach inspire all demographics.

FIRED UP – READY TO GO