January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Micahel Guinn, Ventura, CA

A Wonderful endorsement from a wonderful Lady! YES WE CAN! Obama 08!

January 26, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  2. Raman, Plano TX

Sen. Obama's SC win is no surprise and is a no brainer.

However it is a very safe bet that overall Sen. Clinton is going to carry democratic nomination for this year 2008.

I think setbacks such as SC and IA are healthy for Sen. Clinton in that it keeps her campaign on edge and such challenges prepares her for the final run against the republicans.

Sen. Hillary Clinton for 2008 democratic nomination.

January 26, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  3. Joe

Hey Ann, you should not be allowed to vote if you are voting on race or gender rather than the issues!! I bet you wish the confederate army won the civil war! Sorry, but you are one reason of what is wrong with this country! Unbelievable!

January 26, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  4. John G-- Brooklyn

I agree with the sentiment of many of u that this endorsement should have no influence on how anyone votes and especially on whether u thing that senator obama is similar to president kennedy in any way. It is obvious that many of the people commenting on the cnn website have much better insight into this than the preident kennedy' s own daughter. I would also like to point out to all u that a much more ssignificant endorsement is being featured on senator clinton's website, that of the star of the very popular tv show "ugly betty". If hillary's good enough for ugly betty she's good enough for me.

January 26, 2008 11:17 pm at 11:17 pm |
  5. nagananda kumar

It is ideas, stupid! This is the lesson that the Clinton campaign must take from its dismal performance in South Carolina. Ms. Hillary is a smart lady with some powerful ideas. Her campaign is stuck with politics of mediocrity – race, gender, personality attacks and tired comparisons and is dragging her down. It ought to be leveraging the politics of meritocracy. Her campaign has ceded the politics of meritocracy to Mr. Obama. It is focusing on tired nostrums.

Ms. Clinton said she found her voice in New Hampshire. She should use it by telling her campaign staff to put out creative ideas about building an American future, helping veterans, generating jobs, gaining energy independence and leveraging green technologies. We know the one awful vote that she cast in the Senate. But what about her great votes. Why isn't her campaign picking and pitching them?

The Obama campaign has changed the game. The Clinton campaign looks well, acting out of habit. That's not a good place to be when America is clamouring for change.

January 26, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  6. Jeaneen - YES WE CAN

I wish this was getting MORE media attention. This week I had to sit through Hiliary's several endorsement "ringing" announcements - it was like on every station. I mean the NY TIMES - not bias - no that the NY TIMES.

But Caroline - she doesn't have to endorse anyone - finally a non- bias endorsement and a creditable one!

Don't get me wrong, I like both Hilary and Obama – – but the Clinton's third world politics – "good cop and bad cop" crap has – it stop. It does nothing for our party.

And to the media, PLEASE stop bring up the black vote like that's the way Obama can win. Last time I checked – there are white people in SC and more of them voted for Obama than Hilary or Edwards.

OBAMA 08!!

January 26, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  7. Iamamerican

There is no reason to wow . Endorsments are no insurance, its just a way for the enorsee to get in the lime light and cash on the moment specially the personal endorments like this one. Go BHO .. BHO...!! Mac will buy you kids meal and send you home.

January 26, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  8. Julian, Port-of-Spain Trinidad and Tobago

This is for Ann..."a wake up call for the whites"...? How appalling! Are you then saying that if you think that the "blacks" voted for the "brother" that the correct response would be for the whites to vote for the WASP. How uninformed and unenlightened. Discuss substantive issues not race. No wonder you support the Clintons. Change will come in spite of you and those like you. Real change.

January 26, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  9. Michael

Jon –

Hillary has done just as much or more than Obama. She was an active community organizer and Civil Rights pusher in Arkansas before and during her time as FIrst Lady there. All while being a partner in a law firm. And during the time as first lady she also did a lot of civil rights and community service work. I cannot believe that people would have th nerve to say that all she did was hold tea parties. If you really believe that you are living in the 1940s and are a sexist to the core.

Obama can't talk about his record – he shy's away from talk about his Present Votes – just saying that we don't understand it. Ummmm I don't like someone to tell me I'm stupid and don't understand it. I completely understand that he is a weasle , voting however he can to get to the presidency. Listen to him talk during debates. He is as boring as Bush was – he doesn't seem to understand things (like consistently thinking that Edwards and Clinton will fine people in their health care plan – but they have unequivically stated they would not fine people who couldn't pay, but subsidize this). This guy does not take any personal responsibility for actions and just whines his way to the top.

Wake up democrats, if he gets the nomination, the republicans are back in the white house. They will be 10x harsher on his record (or lack of it) and great fluff speaches. I need someone more than a great speaker – I need someone who can take a stand, work for me – not run away or vote present while on duty for the country.

January 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  10. Suzyq

Barack Obama is inspiring us all to build a better government that serves all people – poor, rich, black, white, young and old! This is the only way we can lift our country above what it has become under years of amoral leadership. Yes we were economically successful under Clinton but we couldn't allow our children in the room when the evening news aired.
    A leader does not have to know the ins and outs of the organization he leads. He needs to be able to use good judgement and all the brilliant resources around him.

January 26, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  11. Suzyq

Go Caroline - Go Barack

January 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  12. Jonnie rae, Boston

Thank you Caroline, for your endorsement. It was beautifully written and heart-wrenching. It reminded me and all of us of that generation of what we lost when we lost JFK. You have chosen what others have feared to choose: hope. I admire your great courage and honesty in all you have achieved., and I think your father woud be very proud of you right now. You have given Barack a huge and humbling challenge. I am confident he will never disappoint you.

January 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  13. BobW

"I still hope the SC was a wake up call for the white people. To be honest, I hoped for a more objective voting from the black community. I knew Obama will win SC, but the result shows that the blacks voted with the 'brother' not for the most qualified person. I accept differences, but the profile of the black vote was clearly biased."

That is such a racist and demeaning comment. What are the CNN moderators thinking to let this kind of filth slip past them. Do you really believe black Americans are somehow incapable of making informed choices? Obama is offering those of us who are not still caught up in a Jim Crow mentality, an opportunity to take this country in a better direction.

Enough of the racist and divisive remarks.

January 26, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  14. Carole

@ Ben- Mo(from the Show Me State)....I see what you see from CNN!! A very biased form of reporting from the regular CNN anchors. Shame on you CNN! CNN doesn't care to hear how Obama will do anything. They know, just as anyone with a brain knows, Obama, if he were to win the nomination, which I pray he doesn't, has others that will be running the White House. Obama didn't just come on the scene from being a JR Senator from Illinois. There are some powerful SOMEONES behind this candidate.

HILLARY 2008

January 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  15. W. R. D.

Oh!...... Like I really care what Caroline Kennedy thinks!

January 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  16. Ann, MO

This is insane that the people on this blog would stoop so low as to insult this woman. Do any of you realize what she has had to suffer for this country? She is a very private woman that lost her father because he moved this country. Her entire childhood had to be so totally sheltered to protect her from the stupid press that would not let her have a life.

What she says about her father inspiring the nation is true. I was in 5th grade when he was running for President and he did inspire everyone. I agree with her that there has not been a candidate like her father. I have been voting since I voted in 1972, and no one has inspired me like Barack Obama, since watching her father. Wether you agree with her or not about who you want to vote for, none of you have made the sacrifice that this woman had to make in the way that she had to do it.

January 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  17. OBAMA is pushing 50 !

I am sick of hearing how YOUNG Obama and wife are !!

News flash Tim Russert – Obamas are both PUSHING 50 AND ARE BOTH BABY BOOMERS – so you sound like a moron when you say he is NOT a Boomer !

BOOMERS = 1946 – 1964 !!

January 26, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  18. Julian Sanchez

Good choice!

January 26, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  19. Kevin Miner

Right on, Caroline!

You said it so well. Leadership is Barack Obama's characteristic. More than change, more than experience.

An end to cynicism of our once-strong government could produce tangible outcomes such as universal health insurance, an end to nuclear proliferation and "nation building."

And you know what? Half the country isn't going to hate him for it either. He understands that Americans are hungry for better leadership and he hears their call.

Personally, I think Bill and Hillary would be better off if they were professional athletes than aspirants for public office. As absurd as it is to imagine them as marvels to athleticism, at least it would have been a healthy outlet for their uber-competitive, win at all costs mentality.

January 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  20. Sue Barrows

Thak you for your endorsement, Caroline. I am a white, educated, 54 year old woman, an Administrator in Health Care. I have never missed an opportunity to vote. Before this election, always Republican. I will vote for Obama this year.

January 26, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  21. Julian Sanchez

Yolanda Diaz,

You must be an illegal Immigrant! Your voice doesn't count!

January 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  22. Ann Jones

Obama and Hillary are all in the Council of Foreign Relations.
    They are all puppets who stand for the same thing. One world order! They have nothing better to bicker over than sex, race, and ethnicity.
    Go to cfr.org and read about it. Americans, especially young Americans, will do better if they vote for Ron Paul, Mitt Romney, or Mike Huckabee.

January 26, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  23. Seth

I think Hillary supporters are starting to feel the heat.

Also, being a first lady for 8 years does not make you more qualified to be president. How many tough decisions did Hillary have to make when Bill was in office?

Obama '08

January 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |
  24. Ryan

Nice going Caroline. You just handed the 2008 election to the Republicans.

January 26, 2008 11:27 pm at 11:27 pm |