January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Unemployed Citizen

Ben – you are exactly right. Mr. Obama is feeding the country with "Big Changes" and all promises and we have heard that story before with the present administration.

When are we going hear about the "Big Changes" that Mr. Obama is going to make for this country. His responses are short and vague when answering questions.

We need a change and that change will be the First Woman President, Hillary Clinton.

GO HILLARY!

January 26, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  2. Steve

Well said, Caroline. Mr. Obama is the first leader since JFK & RFK who has had that gift of oratorical skill and the optimistic and inspirational character to move Americans to be something better tomorrow than they are today.

January 26, 2008 11:43 pm at 11:43 pm |
  3. Chris

I'm really more interested in Clinton's and Obama's squirrel cooking skills. I think this will be a deciding factor in the election.

January 26, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  4. Anonymous

I can see what Caroline Kennedy is saying that Obama is like her father. I believe that I understand her as saying that her father made a change in our country and she can see Obama doing the same thing. I think Caroline Kennedy has a very good outlook on politics as she has been in and around it all her life and I really admire her greatly as I do her entire family and loved her father as a President, the greatest our country EVER had. We the United States do need a change.
    Congratulations to Obama.

January 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  5. debbie

I just want to know how many Republicans voted in the So. Carolina Democrat Primary since they can participate and affect the outcome of it. I'm curious to know who they voted for 'cause they will of course vote for who they think they can easily beat in November. Watch out Dems...this might just be another TROJAN HORSE!!!

January 26, 2008 11:45 pm at 11:45 pm |
  6. LW

Why have Carville and Begala been silenced? Is CNN selling out to faux news?
    Carville and Begala made CNN what it is and gives it the title of "the REAL fair and balanced news" by showing all sides of a story. Lately all we've gotten is the opinion of a few republican commentators/reporters and those who are squarely in the Obama camp. I want both sides represented and I want the experience and knowledge that Carville and Begala offer.
    Is it true that CNN has silenced them until after the primaries because they are AFRAID that the two will be truthful and not allow Obama to escape from any type of media scrutiny in an attempt to give the white house to the republcans for another 4 years?

Bring back Carville and Begala. You are on notice CNN. Either allow those who put you were you are to be part of this primary or count yourself out as the news channel of choice.
    People who want to be led by the nose have faux news, you are supposed to be a leader, let those capable of leading have their say!!!

January 26, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  7. Kathy

John F. Kennedy was my hero as a teen ager in high school in the early '60s. Every speech was like a dream about the future. I was glued to the TV and scoured the newspaper reading about his plans for our country. I have never recovered from his loss and I don't think the country has either. For quite a time now I have been a supporter of Hillary, but I cannot get over that same feeling that Obama brings back to me, that wonderful feeling of hope. I'll be voting for Obama.

January 26, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  8. David,Omaha,NE

Caroline recognizes Hilary is the most dangerous woman in this country -she must be stopped.

January 26, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  9. Robert

I like the Hillary fans who claim that she can get things changed starting day one. But a president needs to work with Congress in order to get things changed.

How many republicans in Congress are going to work with Hillary Clinton and how many are going to spend her entire term trying to tear her down like they did to Bill?

Results come from compromise, and Hillary has already proven that she can't play nice with others. Obama will get things changed sooner than Hillary.

January 26, 2008 11:46 pm at 11:46 pm |
  10. Drdike

Without Obama, democrats might as well say good bye to White House because Republicans can't wait to get their hand on Billary Clintons. Thanks Caroline for your common sense. Your father served this country very well in the most honest way. This is what Obama is about.

I remember JFK your father said it very well, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country." This is what Obama stands for. He is not asking government handout. He believes that we all have something to contribute to this country, black, white, latino, asian or indian American if we put the past behind us.

Only those waiting for government handouts will vote for Billary Clintons. I am a registered Republican I will vote for Obama in general election if nominated by democrats.

January 26, 2008 11:47 pm at 11:47 pm |
  11. Dean Murray

As a Canadian, I have been paying close attention to the upcoming party races and look forward to the presidential race to come. I have also been doing some math. It's pretty basic adding up of numbers. Here's how I see it:

4 Yrs. of George Bush the first

8 Yrs. of Bill Clinton

8 Yrs. of George Bush the second

That's twenty years of two families controlling the White House. If Hillary is elected, that is at least four more years(maybe eight), and just guess who will be ready when her time is up? Here's a hint... he's the current Governor of Florida and the potential third Bush in a row for the Republicans.

I have a question...can there be a two family dictatorship???

Time for a change...GO OBAMA!

January 26, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  12. ian

Thank you Caroline, you have become an inspiration to many. Obama is indeed the candidate for change, to all those who are hating on his success, your views are not welcome. They lack factual reasons. GO OBAMA

January 26, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  13. TOM

I GUESS DISMAYED WOULD BE THE ONLY WORD TO DESCRIBE HOW I FEEL WITH THIS NEWS. I LOVED JOHN F. KENNEDY...I LOVED BOBBY KENNEDY...AND I ALWAYS HOPED TED KENNEDY WOULD SOMEDAY BECOME PRESIDENT. WHEN THAT DIDNT HAPPEN I KNEW IN MY HEART THAT JFK JR WOULD SOMEDAY BE PRESIDENT AND BRING BACK THE MAGIC THAT HIS FATHER BROUGHT ABOUT IN THE SIXTIES.

I LIKE BARACK OBAMA...BUT HE IS NO JOHN F. KENNEDY. HE IS NO BOBBY KENNEDY..AND HE IS NO TED KENNEDY. I THINK HE IS A GREAT ORATOR AND NOONE CAN DENY HE CAUSES EXCITEMENT AMONGST YOUNGER AND OLDER VOTERS ALIKE.

BUT LETS BE REAL. BARACK OBAMA HAS LITERALLY NO EXPERIENCE WHEN COMPARED TO JFK OR RFK AND CERTAINLY NOT TEDDY. IT IS ONE THING TO BE ABLE TO INSPIRE PEOPLE ..IT IS ANOTHER WHEN YOU ARE SO NAIVE TO THINK THAT BECAUSE YOU WANT EVERYONE TO GET ALONG FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY TO THINK IT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN IN REAL LIFE.

THE REPUBLICAN MACHINE WILL TEAR OBAMA TO BITS. THE WORLD HE BELIEVES IN IS SIMPLY NOT THERE. HOPE IS A BIG WORD IN HIS CAMPAIGN. I WOULD HOPE HE WOULD WISE UP AND REALIZE THAT THE REPUBLICANS ARE NOT GOING TO DO ANYTHING WITH HIM FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY WHEN THEY KNOW IF THEY DO HE WOULD BE REELECTED WHEN SEEKING HIS SECOND TERM. IF LIFE WAS AS SIMPLE AS HE MAKES OUT WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD IT WOULD BE. UNFORTUNATELY IT IS NOT!

January 26, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  14. January

With all due respect to her, Carolyn Kennedy has seemingly never wanted to be in the public's eye until she needed to sell a book, co-written, on 'privacy'. So now she comes out again to sell Obama. We all get used for our votes if we do not study the candidates very carefully.

January 26, 2008 11:50 pm at 11:50 pm |
  15. Ryan

OBAMA 08 FROM WEST VIRGINIA!!

January 26, 2008 11:51 pm at 11:51 pm |
  16. Sarah-Jane

Charleston County results (the most populated one):

Obama 29,951, Clinton 11,256. Almost 3 to 1.

According to a 2006 census (listed on Wikipedia), 65% of Charleston is white, 32% African-American, 2.5% latino.

Speaking of the most diverse coalition.

January 26, 2008 11:52 pm at 11:52 pm |
  17. Amy R

Thank you Caroline for standing up for change! You are indeed a woman of integrity and I am so proud of you!! Obama does indeed have the vision and leadership like JFK. Obama can really unite and move this country forward.

January 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  18. TOM

WHOOPS..HAD TO ADD ANOTHER COMMENT WHEN I JUST READ THAT SOUTH CAROLINA WAS NOT ABOUT RACE. I HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU HONEY.....WHEN 80 PERCENT OF BLACKS VOTE FOR OBAMA IT MOST CERTAINLY WAS ABOUT RACE. PERIOD. THE WOMENS VOTE WAS SKEWED BECAUSE OF BLACK WOMEN. OBAMA ONLY CARRIED AB OUT 25% OF THE WHITE VOTE. THAT MEANS 75% OF WHITES VOTED FOR SOMEONE OTHER THAN A BLACK CANDIDATE. PLEASE FOLKS..GROW UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE.

January 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  19. Terry

I agree with Caroline and am proud that she is publicly supporting Obama.
    No candidate even comes close to what he offers. I feel that he has the intellectual and spiritual power to truly change this country for the better.

January 26, 2008 11:53 pm at 11:53 pm |
  20. ralph tyler, santa fe,nm

The real strength of this country is about what Caroline Kennedy is writing about. I want that back.

January 26, 2008 11:55 pm at 11:55 pm |
  21. cdsw

Jon, I agree with yours words like none other, being married to a president does not a president make. If she were married to a fighter pilot would that qualify her to fly a F-18? Jon, I echo, and thank you for, your words: "Hillary's experience and Barack's lack thereof are myths".

Barack Rocks! Obama in 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  22. Raman, Plano TX

Sen. Obama's SC win is no surprise and is a no brainer.

However it is a very safe bet that overall Sen. Clinton is going to carry democratic nomination for this year 2008.

I think setbacks such as SC and IA are healthy for Sen. Clinton in that it keeps her campaign on edge and such challenges prepares her for the final run against the republicans.

Sen. Hillary Clinton for 2008 democratic nomination.

January 26, 2008 11:57 pm at 11:57 pm |
  23. Anita

I have too much respect for the late presidents daughter to really say what I am thinking. More importantly what was she thinking? OUR country needs more than what Obama offers. He is no JFK. I don't think Kennedy had the same type of personal pride as obama seems to have about certain things.

January 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  24. S R

Go Hillary you rock!!!!!!!!

January 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |
  25. Ray

Has she ever held a position in office? NO!

January 26, 2008 11:58 pm at 11:58 pm |