January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. joe

HEY CNN HERE IS ANOTHER HEADLINE..

ROBERT F. KENNEDY JR. SUPPORTS HILLARY CLINTON....

January 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  2. B.O.

JFK's Daughter? Really? I didn't know she existed and was doing anything for anyone until just now. Wow...real big endorsement, huh?

She insults her Father by saying some of these things.

Should she be reminded of her Father's actions in WWII, saving his PT 109 crew in heroic and epic fashion? Maybe being "present" is the same to her.

Anyone here his inspiration victory speech in S.C. More rhetoric, rhetoric, rhetoric. Change, but never what change. Say anything to win will you Obama, like saying your opponents will say anything when you're at sin for it?

January 26, 2008 11:59 pm at 11:59 pm |
  3. Ray

True_Blue...One nation? really? When 80 of blacks voted for Obama?? Really?? I think not!!

January 27, 2008 12:00 am at 12:00 am |
  4. Johnny Boy

This is hilarious. IF Hillary can watch someone be President, and thereby, qualify herself for being President, then so can Caroline, for the same reasons. Hooray! Someone equally as qualified as Hillary, except does not endorse the dragon lady. Yippee! There's hope yet, folks.

January 27, 2008 12:01 am at 12:01 am |
  5. Vote Now

I can't understand why there's all this talk about race and gender, yet there's no talk about age? It seems like the only demographic group that Hillary Clinton seems to be getting any consistent backing from is a bunch of old white ladies. I guess these pundits don't seem to get why the under 30 crowd like me are voting for Obama in droves – "Past vs. Future??" DUH?

January 27, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  6. Bob, Florida - RFO

"Leadership is the art of direct and indirect influence and the skill of creating the conditions for sustained organizational success to achieve the desired result. But, above all, it is the art of taking a vision of what must be done, communicating it in a way that the intent is clearly understood, and then being tough enough to ensure its execution." FM 22-103

I too support Barack Obama because he is that leader that Caroline Kennedy speaks of!

Go Barack '08

January 27, 2008 12:05 am at 12:05 am |
  7. Meltron.3000

I probably should have mentioned that Caroline Kennedy giving the thumbs up for Obama is haute.

Cheers.

January 27, 2008 12:08 am at 12:08 am |
  8. Hope

True Blue: I welcome the idea of bringing more republicans, independents, men and women, black, white, latino, and everyone in between i into the political process. Obama represents the bright future of American politics!

I beg to differ. Obama will not bring anyone together except one of many. Obama does not represent the bright future of America. Obama doesn't even say anything other than change.....change f'ing what? He stutters by god. Doesnt anyone notice anything weak about this man. Lets get real.Lets get focused

January 27, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  9. tea

last week I hear a person saying Obama was just like Abe Lincoln, and now he is like John kennedy this is just too much. This from a man who is pouty and petulant, and doesn't think he has to answer tough questions PLEASE.

January 27, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |
  10. Carl

Great stuff True_Blue
    Regards,
    Carl

January 27, 2008 12:10 am at 12:10 am |
  11. Bob, Florida - RFO

We live in a time where the volume of information has compressed the learning cycle and as such reduced the time based method of gaining experience to include tangible and non-tangible challenges.

Judgment is not synonymous with Experience. The later no substitute for the first.

Go Barack '08

January 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  12. James springfield mo

JFK was a true leader and war hero who put his his men under his command before his own life and that is not obama.

January 27, 2008 12:12 am at 12:12 am |
  13. Murry

Thank you, Caroline!! The Kennedy name trumps the Clinton name any day. Cheers to Senator Obama! This is the first time I've been so enthusiastic about a political candidate.
    We don't need another manager, they are a dime a dozen. We need a leader with vision. Visionaries can hire managers but managers never hire visionaries. Hillary would likely get a lot accomplished as president but she wouldn't be getting the right stuff done. On top of that, she would irritate staff and foreign dignitaries to no end.
    Vote for the uniter. Vote for Obama!

January 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  14. amir

caroline kennedy.and I is for Obama 08

January 27, 2008 12:13 am at 12:13 am |
  15. CPM

I think Kennedy's wants it both way. One Supports Obama and other supports Clinton.

January 27, 2008 12:14 am at 12:14 am |
  16. Jr., California

The anti-Obama blogs really do nothing but give people typewriting exercise. At the end of the day people are demanding real change. Congrats to Obama.

January 27, 2008 12:15 am at 12:15 am |
  17. djw

For those people who reaaly don't understand voting and politcs – The Clintons and some others are hoping you listen to the negatives and not the truth. They are playing your your ignorance just like GW did – so nothing has changed there has it. In Illinois for those who do not understand, voting PRESENT is akin to voting YES get it now!!!

If you don't change all things stays the same.

Caroline can choose whomever she wants to – I didn't remember my grandmother who died young but it doesn't mean I don't know her through my mother and her siblings. I wish people would THINK first!!!!

January 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  18. Ade

She knows her daddy than anybody!

January 27, 2008 12:16 am at 12:16 am |
  19. mark in Austin

who cares? Means nothing.

January 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  20. Jason, Chicago, IL

After Hillary is introduced at a rally or speech, she always smiles like the Joker from Batman and points to someone in the crowd. It is the most fake and repulsive thing I've ever seen. This is a petty point to make, but is it just me or does it really reflect poorly on her that she is that manufactured? What's ironic is that Obama seems much more grounded, even though his critics say he is in the clouds.

January 27, 2008 12:18 am at 12:18 am |
  21. Victoria

Caroline Kennedy smart woman...like her dad. Obama for President

January 27, 2008 12:20 am at 12:20 am |
  22. Rafi, NY NY

Ten bucks says one of his opponents or their supporters will respond with the, "I knew Jack Kennedy. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy" line.

January 27, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  23. Robert M. Reidy N.Y.

New York will break for Obama !

January 27, 2008 12:23 am at 12:23 am |
  24. Janet

The first time I heard Obama speak what came to mind was that he gave me the same feeling I got when I listened to JFK. I guess I'm not the only one who thought so. Thank you Caroline for taking a stand for someone you believe in. Your father would be proud! Yes we can!

January 27, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  25. Jeksis

Kennedy! Fired Up! Go Obama!

January 27, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |