January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. John Adkisson

This may be the only possible op-ed piece that could carry ten times the weight of the New York Times' own misguided endorsement. I always liked Caroline, but now I respect and adore her.

January 27, 2008 12:25 am at 12:25 am |
  2. pete

no matter who you support, one think is clear THE REPUBLICANS ARE HOPING AND PRAYING THAT CLINTON WINS.

WHY? BECAUSE THEY KNOW THEY CAN BEAT HER AND THEY PROBABLY CANT BEAT OBAMA.

AN OLD GUY LIKE MCCAIN HAS NO CHANCE AGAINST A RISING YOUNG STAR LIKE OBAMA.

SO WHY WASTE YOUR VOTE ON HILARY?

A VOTE FOR HILARY IS A VOTE FOR A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENT!!!!

OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!

January 27, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  3. Elinda

Thank you Caroline ... for your "opinion" ... it is not mine. SC was a testament to the fact that racism is still alive in this country ... blacks voted for black ... it was that simple. Obama is the "black candidate" ... and that is just the way it is in SC.

January 27, 2008 12:27 am at 12:27 am |
  4. Goldie of Florida

How disappointing! " Barack is no John F. Kennedy!!!!"

January 27, 2008 12:28 am at 12:28 am |
  5. declan44

Obviously she is not going to support the woman who had her brother murdered.

January 27, 2008 12:29 am at 12:29 am |
  6. Lucas, Nashville TN

What an honor this is. "A President like my father"... that's HUGE. Awesome.

From SC to USA... OBAMA ALL THE WAY.

January 27, 2008 12:31 am at 12:31 am |
  7. Barbara Casas-California

Just to let you readers know, this site is only printing posts which mostly back Hillary Clinton here. I have posted twice saying I am a registered Republican, and they won't print my comments!

There is something very wrong here, they are trying to suppress the voters here on CNN! Shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  8. Patty

Who is she and why would this endorsement even matter?!!!!! LOL!

January 27, 2008 12:32 am at 12:32 am |
  9. Diana

Kudo's Charles Robinson, GO OBAMA, a White African AMERICAN.

Since race has unfortunately been brought into the equation, if it continues I would hope to see Obama come out and embrace both his heritage as well as not allowing blacks and other minorities to be misled by believing he had the same impoverished background as they did. Did his parents really meet at University in Hawaii? Didn't his Kenyan father go onto Harvard afterwards?

This Inquiry mind wants to know.

January 27, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  10. votehillary2008

That's her opinion. I'm still supporting Hillary. No offense to Caroline, but she barely even remember when her father was president. She was too young.

January 27, 2008 12:34 am at 12:34 am |
  11. Jeff, North Dakota

It is clearly evident by the numbers that Obama will ascend to the presidency should he be selected as the Democratic nominee. Clinton's selection is not as certain.

January 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  12. Spencer

Caroline, it is obvious you are hooked on Demoral.

January 27, 2008 12:36 am at 12:36 am |
  13. tharris

Is cnn going to address that in the republican debate tim russert ask rommney if he would go back to 1983 of regan it's clear someone gave him the answer cnn pls don't let this go unchallenge

somebody gave him the answer the debate is riged

January 27, 2008 12:38 am at 12:38 am |
  14. Sean, Santa Barbara, CA

JFK was the Democrats's Reagan. I think endorsements are stupid, but this is huge, just short of JFK coming back to life and doing it personally

January 27, 2008 12:40 am at 12:40 am |
  15. Anonymous

THE HILLARY SUPPORTERS SEEM TO BE VERY UPSET ABOUT THIS ENDORSEMENT. ONE QUESTION FOR YOU. IF ENDORSEMENTS REALLY MEAN NOTHING AND DON'T DETERMINE WHO YOU WILL VOTE FOR, THEN WHY ARE YOU GUYS SO RILED UP?

January 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  16. Lily

What a special person Caroline Kennedy to announce her endoresement of Senator Obama. What great news. This had made my day....

Go Barack Obama.

January 27, 2008 12:42 am at 12:42 am |
  17. Maggie

I agree. I find Barak Obama to be a very exciting candidate with some fresh ideas. I like his plan for health care and I believe his stand on Iraq is solid. I agree with Caroline Kennedy. Not since John F Kennedy has there been a person who has come on the stage whom I felt could turn this country around.

January 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  18. interesting

Sad thing is Obama might suffer the same fate like her father (JFK) and uncle (Robert Kennedy).

That is one thing that America does have. A history of repeating itself.

January 27, 2008 12:43 am at 12:43 am |
  19. YesWeCan

He reminds me of my father as well.

Obama 2008 !

January 27, 2008 12:46 am at 12:46 am |
  20. SENIOR

HER ENDORSEMENT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY VOTE. THAT IS HER CHOICE. SHE CANNOT MAKE MINE FOR ME. I MAKE MY OWN DECISION.

January 27, 2008 12:48 am at 12:48 am |
  21. GIVE ME A BRAKE!!

WHO IS CAROLINE KENNEDY? A HUMAN BEING LIKE ME. HER VOICE IS NOT THE VOICE OF AMERICA

January 27, 2008 12:51 am at 12:51 am |
  22. Harry Houdini, NY

Caroline always was the loonny one

January 27, 2008 12:55 am at 12:55 am |
  23. Rick, El Paso, Texas

Thank you Caroline.

January 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  24. Scott

Yes, I'll second Jon's question:
    "I still yearn for someone to explain to me how Hillary's 8 years serving as first lady is better experience than Obama's experience as a State Senator, Senator, Community Organizer and Civil Rights and Constitutional Lawyer. Please. Anybody? Hillary's experience and Barack's lack thereof are myths."

Jon, there's not a good answer. That's why you're not getting one.

January 27, 2008 12:58 am at 12:58 am |
  25. observer

JFK was one of the great leaders of our nation and was respected by many then and now. Bill Clinton was also a very well respected President then and now. People have said so many bad things about Bill Clinton. I wonder if any of them can say, Marilyn Monroe. We all make personal mistakes, Bill Clinton and yes, JFK.

January 27, 2008 12:59 am at 12:59 am |