January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. free mcclain

I wish that Caroline would run for President.

January 26, 2008 09:00 pm at 9:00 pm |
  2. Responsiblevoter

Caroline endorsement is very much of icing of a cake in my own opinion.

January 26, 2008 09:01 pm at 9:01 pm |
  3. Glen Livingston

Its about time that a Kennedy got on board "The Obama Express."

January 26, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  4. Beans

AWESOME! LOL, Clinton's–the "other" Democrats (the honest ones) are coming out against you. THEY recognize quality!

And can I just say to , now that the SC results are in, "PAYBACKS ARE HELL, HELLARY!"

This was a BIG WIN for Obama in SC, not just a slim win labeled as a "big win" by media for Clinton. Obama was still leading in delegates even with those supposed big wins. Media, why don't you start reporting things accurately? And CNN...how about doing away with your projected delegate wins page? It's crap.

Possibly we should be looking at these results differently than how the media is looking at them.

Iowa–they scrutinize candidates and picked a winner–Barack Obama!

New Hamphire–the polls were wrong, but what was accurate was that at the time of the primaries Barack Obama was coming way up from the huge gap he was behind Clinton previously–it just wasn't as much as the polls were reporting. How dare you look at that as a huge loss. Look at the delegate count there–NOT a huge loss!

Nevada–pretty much a tie–again, look at the delegate count.

And now...in a state again where quality is recognized, Barack ROCKS SC! Who cares what color or gender people who voted there were. We are ALL in this together! Get a clue–this is not about race or gender. People don't want Hellery not because she's a woman, but because she's power hungry and dishonest! And they want Barack because he's honest, and offers us hope for change.

How sweet it is...........how sweet it is................:)

January 26, 2008 09:02 pm at 9:02 pm |
  5. Tlc

This is thrilling! Senator Obama will be a President to inspire the nation, as was President Kennedy.

January 26, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  6. Mirta

I have lost a lot of respect for Caroline.

January 26, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  7. GOODWIN DEMPSEY

I CAN'T BELIEVE CAROLINE KENNEDY IS ENDORSING OBAMA

January 26, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  8. Anonymous

Caroline Kennedy is a true public servant. Thank you for the support.

Obama '08!

January 26, 2008 09:03 pm at 9:03 pm |
  9. jon mattoon

Great news about Caroline Kennedy's endorsement! The Clintons lack the integrity to lead the country. They are a political machine that is obsolete in today's environment. They simply cannot be trusted to have the best interests of Americans at heart. They have Shakespearian "Humbris"...and have made a calculated move to regain the whitehouse for over 10 years. Clinton's initial race was step one.

January 26, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  10. Jason

Honestly, I dont think her endorsement will make any impacts on voters. I like Obama but he is no Kennedy, not even close.

January 26, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  11. GOODWIN DEMPSEY

THESE ENDORSEMENTS CARRY ALOT OF WEIGHT ESPECIALLY IF YOUR NAME IS kENNNEDY

January 26, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  12. Steve

Amen, Caroline!

January 26, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  13. SecondSage

ionno about that. Obama seems to be getting more mainstream. He came close in NH. Won in Iowa. And got alot of white votes tonight.

Looks good.

January 26, 2008 09:05 pm at 9:05 pm |
  14. Janiel Meier

Amazing, a Kennedy who's last name ties to the 'hope' of the democratic party so long ago, shows that for my generation all hope is not lost.

-Janiel Meier
    Madison,WI

January 26, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  15. r

good , feel exactly the same way as she does

January 26, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  16. HILLARY4EVER

and this is important because........? Do people actually think that people will be swayed by someone's endorsement? In that case, I endorse Hillary Clinton.

January 26, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  17. Beans

Very well stated, jon mattoon.

January 26, 2008 09:08 pm at 9:08 pm |
  18. kathy1111

I remember JFK. Obama had reminded me of him, too. "Too young," was something they said of Kennedy before he got elected, I think in a landslide vote. Kennedy was also on the Steve Allen show, I believe. Obama has been on Leno and Letterman. Kennedy was awesome. Obama will be awesome as well.

January 26, 2008 09:09 pm at 9:09 pm |
  19. Christine in Atlanta

When I saw Barack Obama speak at the Democratic Convention I thought immediately of John Kennedy. I'm very happy about Caroline's endorsement.

January 26, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  20. Susan

Thank you, Caroline.

January 26, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  21. Peaceful Protester

We have had thousands of troops in the Afghanistan for several years now.

90% of the world's heroine comes from the poppy crops that are grown in Afghanistan.

Islamic terrorists use Afghanistan's poppy crops to finance their operations.

Heroine destroys the life’s of addicts and those they love.

Heroine causes the deaths of many others through overdose.

What are the Bush and Cheney Administration waiting for? We have thousands of troops in the Middle East, yet the poppy crops continue to grow and finance terrorism. They said we are over there so that we don't have to fight terrorism at home. This is a form of terrorism. It destroys lives, clogs our prisons, and becomes much more difficult to round up when it is already distributed and has already financed terrorists! Is the Administration waiting for this heroine to hit our shores before they do anything? Do they think it more efficient to wait until the heroine hits our shores? Do they think it more efficient to let American police try to find it after it has already been sold to Americans?

January 26, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  22. Ann Jones

Her endorsement means nothing. Obama or Hillary Clinton will not change anyhing. They will both continue to cater to the corporate interest at the expense of the American people! We need a President like Ron Paul or Mike Huckabee! The only reason Obama won in South Carolina is because Oprah campaigned for him extensively and over 50% of the voters in South Carolina are black.

January 26, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  23. Breeze

Personally, I think this is the most pathetic group of candidates in our nations history. If Carolines brother were still alive and were running, I can guarantee you that he would walk into the White House.

January 26, 2008 09:11 pm at 9:11 pm |
  24. Meg

But Jason, that's exactly what they said about Kennedy in 1960! I'm sure you're way too young to know that, but I'm not. Obama is truly the first candidate I've ever seen that can motivate listeners, and I've always voted Republican. I'll vote in the Democratic Primary this year (in Texas, I can choose) not only to vote against Hillary, but to vote for Obama.

January 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  25. lisa ridlehoover

the world is just a tad bit more complicated than it was in 1960. Sure, it would be nice if we could "go back to a simpler time." Some misled people seem to think that Obama will take us all back to a serene and safer era. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. As, we saw in the past 8 years, the presidency is not for beginners. This is not a dress rehearsal.

Barack Obama'a single term in the US SENATE is not enough "training" for such an important position.

Barack Obama's "inspiration" will not solve the complexites we now face, as a result of the Bush era ad the ever changing world.

How many people has he "inspired" in the past 10 years??? Not many. what has he done to "make a difference"? Not much.

If Obama were not a Black man, he wouldn't even be in the race for the presidency because he would just be another FRESHMAN Senator like many others whom most of us have never heard of.

I am sincerely disappointed that Caroline Kennedy and Oprah have endorsed Obama. It will not change my decision one iota. Hillary Clinton is the MOST qualified candidate we have seen in many years.

January 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |