January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. WAL

This is someone who would not use the name of John F. Kennedy lightly. I hope America listens. We need Obama now. Don't throw this opportunity away.

January 27, 2008 01:03 am at 1:03 am |
  2. Geoffery Goldburg

Billary is too in dept to people and corporations (watch Mike Moore's Movie Sicko), she has depts to pay and has plans to use this country as her personal piggy payback bank! She owe's big... her husband was not the only receiving "favors" while he was in Washington. She ran around while her hubby was in office making promises and deals she is trying so desperately to keep. But we won't let you Billary! Even with that ice cold face we see right through you.

Obama's the right person for the job...and inside the Billary's know it! If Billary weren't running she'd be supporting him too!

Dear Billary,
    What will you so when all those under the desk...oops under the table deals you did come to light?

Dear Obama,
    Keep your vision on the goal....Billary's tactics are only there to prey on the weak minded Americans that think Billary's heart will melt. Sorry to inform you all...niether her face nor her heart will melt. And that's the truth.

On another note...good for you Caroline...good for you Obama...good for us America!

January 27, 2008 01:05 am at 1:05 am |
  3. Frank, MO

OBAMA'08 and a nation united ... we still will disagree but this time the American People will stay awake after the November election – and together we will get things done ! THIS is the American Way !

I reject the Clintonian's style of lies, fraud and disception !! This is history in the making, this is our chance !!

OBAMA'08 or DEFEAT'08 !

I'll send another contribution to Barack Obama's campaign ! It's important for me that I can tell my kids when they grow up that I stood on the right side and I supported Obama's vision with my vote and financial contributions !

Kansas City, MO

January 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  4. Donny Pauling

What a great endorsement for Mr. Obama! 🙂

January 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  5. Ray

Wow! That's a great endorsement from Caroline Kennedy. I'm beginning to jump on this Obama bandwagon.

January 27, 2008 01:06 am at 1:06 am |
  6. Mandy, Montana

I can't believe the obvious "sour grapes" displayed here by some people. To insinuate that Caroline Kennedy would not know who is most like her father is ridiculous. She is free to endorse whomever she wants. Why disrespect such
    an important person with such an eloquent (beautiful) endorsement?

This endorsement is very powerful and speaks volumes to anyone doubting Senator Obama.

Thank you Caroline Kennedy for such a meaningful endorsement and beautiful letter.

January 27, 2008 01:07 am at 1:07 am |
  7. Jazz of California

I'm very happy for this endorsement. We are voting for OBAMA. This nation needs a change. Enough of the Bush-Clinton-Bush-Clinton pattern. There's no change on that. Yes to OBAMA!

January 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  8. Kathleen

"We need a change in the leadership of this country..." If last week's Bill & Hillary show has shown us anything, it is that we need a real change.

January 27, 2008 01:08 am at 1:08 am |
  9. Donna

I am so thrilled that Caroline Kennedy endorsed my candidate Barack Obama! I loved her mother, father and brother. I believe that her endorsement means very very much to many Obama supporters like me. Thank you Caroline!!!!!!!!!!
    Go Obama!
    Mom for Obama

January 27, 2008 01:09 am at 1:09 am |
  10. Me

Wow! For those of who don't believe that this endorsement will help Obama, you're in denial.

Obama '08!

January 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  11. bob

i am writing on a wii, let's see how this works. go Obama!

January 27, 2008 01:10 am at 1:10 am |
  12. M

Thats was the biggest butt-whooping that anyone done got. Nasty politics will continually fail.

Obama! 08

January 27, 2008 01:11 am at 1:11 am |
  13. Dena

Hilary's two-faced, completely. Barack has a freshness to him I Haven't seen in a long time. I hope people will wisen up and not fall for her tricks.

And yes, this comes from a non-black female, thank you very much.

In other news, Caroline = Obama girl?

January 27, 2008 01:12 am at 1:12 am |
  14. Amanda K

FYI--

RFK's son, Robert F. Kennedy Jr. has endorsed Sen. Clinton.

RFK's daughter, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend has endorsed Sen. Clinton.

Now Caroline's endorsement.........

The official score is now: Hillary 2
    Obama 1

January 27, 2008 01:13 am at 1:13 am |
  15. Tom Wittmann

If Ted Kennedy endorses Obama, this would drive away moderates democrats and independents

The attraction he still has on the elderly Kennedy Clan admirers would be useless, as these already in their majority were aupporting Hillary anyway.

January 27, 2008 01:16 am at 1:16 am |
  16. vidiii

Caroline Kennedy, i like but nobody will follow her endorsement. She's nothing compared to the Clintons.

January 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  17. Jr., California

If only Hillary can explain her 35 years of experience. Shame, Shame, Shame.

January 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  18. John

That's great, in fact I am a fan of Obama. But with the presence of the US Electoral College, does anyone's vote really matter?

January 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  19. Truethis

Will Ron Paul win the Republican nominee? NO

Who do the Republican want to run against? THE CLINTONS

Who are the Republican afraid to run against? BARACK OBAMA

Who can bring this country together, hope and real change? BARACK OBAMA

Thank Caroline, and I respect your choice and I always love and respect your father and your family and what they stand in American.

January 27, 2008 01:18 am at 1:18 am |
  20. do the math

with 80% of the African-American vote, which was over 50% of the total vote, that means he had 40% or more even if not one single Caucasian person voted for him. with the other 60% split in some way for the other two, he couldn't lose unless he ran down the street naked or something. but the national vote isn't 50% African-American, more like 12%. so he doesn't start with a 40% lead, just under a 10 percent lead (80% of 12%). he needs the rest from Caucasians, Hispanics, etc. It's a long way from 10% to a majority and getting less than a quarter of the non-African-American votes (1/4 of 88% = 22%) won't do it.

January 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  21. bankrupt

I hope no one takes this personal, but there isn't much substance to this whole change thing. I'm a Obama fan, but I'm concerned he'll be exposed for lacking true change. I just don't want to spend all my time and energy to be disappointed.

January 27, 2008 01:19 am at 1:19 am |
  22. Shortcakes

Surely She [Caroline] Jests!!

OBAMA IS NOOOOOOO JFK.

Time for a reality check.

VOTING HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT 2008.

January 27, 2008 01:20 am at 1:20 am |
  23. OBAMA MAMA Twin Cities, MN

I dont know why the Clinton suporters have so much hate and venom about this. If she had endorsed Billary you would have been beside yourselves with glee! If what you say is true and endorsements dont mean anything then move on to the next article. To say she has no right to say Obama reminds her of her father is typical of sore losers and the people who want to bring everyone down. Kennedy and Obama are about lifting people up and some people will NEVER understand that!!!

Obama 08

January 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  24. Ricardo Ramos

A president for all ages, creeds and races! I belive in him, is the most honest politic that I've ever seen.

Obama '08 !!!

January 27, 2008 01:21 am at 1:21 am |
  25. peter

Obama represents the best future for us as American- Young, old, white, Blacks and the rest of the world! People like Obama and JFK are rare to comeby. Now that we have another JFK, we got to support him to help us re-shape American future for the better

January 27, 2008 01:25 am at 1:25 am |