January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Mr 1st Lady

Can we bring our troops home now?

January 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  2. Barbara,Ca.

Caroline Kennedy thank you for your lovely words –

Your father would be proud that you have chosen the only candidate to fulfill your father's dream for the presidency Barack Obama '08.
    Obama is the future the Clinton's have upset many with their dirty old
    politics against Obama. We need to move forward Obama is clearly the
    only candidate who has what it takes to unite America and create the
    necessary changes we all seek for a bright new tomorrow our children
    will all be proud of.

January 27, 2008 01:27 am at 1:27 am |
  3. Joff

Caroline endorsed Obama. Bobby Kennedy Jr. endorsed Hillary. Too bad Caroline and Bobby are not the ones running for President!

January 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  4. Margarita

ALL YOU OBAMATRONS CAN RELAX... JESSE JACKSON WON BOTH IN 1984 AND 1988 AND STILL LOST THE NOMINATIONS.... DON'T GLOAT JUST YET

January 27, 2008 01:28 am at 1:28 am |
  5. California Lady

This enforsement is huge from Caroline Kennedy and I love how she says, "A President like my Father" Wow, that is fantastic. I don't think there is anyone out there that didn't love JFK and if you come back to this blog and say you didn't then I know you are lying.
    Way to go Obama. You deserved this win and in the process you kicked Hillary's you know what.
    Listening to his speech was absolutely amazing. There is no one like him that can get this country back to greatness and unite us all.
    I believe and you should too. Change your vote before it is too late.
    Yes We Can, Yes We Can

January 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  6. Margarita

JFK HAD 14 YEARS IN THE SENATE BEFORE HE RAN... HAD HIS FATHER BOUGHT THE ELECTION FOR HIM JUST LIKE OPRAH DID FOR OBAMA

January 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  7. Jon, Los Angeles

Thank you, Caroline! Being initially a Clinton supporter I got turned off by Billary racial strategy the last few days. It is disgusting and tells me of the rotten nature of the Clintons. I'm voting for Obama on Feb. 5.

January 27, 2008 01:30 am at 1:30 am |
  8. Maureen

I'm Canadian and loved JFK and agree whole heartedly with Caroline Kennedy. Barack Obama could be a president like her father John. The first time I heard Obama speak I thought he had that Kennedyesque quality. He has the ability to inspire you to greater things.
    And after all JFK did for race issues wouldn't he have been pleased to see a black man running and possibly becoming the President of the United States.
    If we could vote Obama would definately have my vote.
    Yes You Can Barack.............................

Obama 20008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 01:32 am at 1:32 am |
  9. Dowell

Thanks so much for your kind words Caroline. God Bless you

January 27, 2008 01:35 am at 1:35 am |
  10. Jennifer

Billary is a smart woman don't get me wrong, but she is annoying as she can be. I just don't like the sound of her harping voice. I don't like how I feel when I hear her voice. I honestly don't believe we will see much of change from her administration, IF, she get's elected. I see true change coming from Obama. The republicans – McCain is a good man, but he is from the same mold of Bush, God 4 more years of that – Lord no, please.
    To all of the 55 and older crew, get over it, it's a new era. We won't stand for the ways of the past to hinder our future.

January 27, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  11. California Lady

To Devan Lewis. Just hearing what you had to say about Obama getting you off the streets is a wake up call to everyone. We have to believe that Obama is the one, as Oprah so eloquently put it. My congratulations to you Devan Lewis. Keep on believing in your dreams and you will achieve them, just like Obama.
    Obama is amazing and I have never ever been a political person in my life but I just cannot seem to get enough of watching and listening and reading about him. He inspires so many of us and I am proud to be a supporter of his.

January 27, 2008 01:36 am at 1:36 am |
  12. Kelvin of Baltimore

For Caroline to make such a profound statement regarding the similarites between her father and Obama are sincere. Congradulations Mr. Obama. I'm also glad to know that I live in a counrty where people are not always influence by the color of skin. I like reading messages where people of other races are supporting Obama. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr would be happy about that.

January 27, 2008 01:37 am at 1:37 am |
  13. Coleman R. Brice, Bradley Beach, NJ

OBAMA.. Your no Kucinich, but I like you and support you. Please give Dennis a cabinet level position and seek the highest level of decency and moral courage you're capable of! Congratulations!

January 27, 2008 01:40 am at 1:40 am |
  14. California Lady

Watch Hillary start using a lot of Obama's words from his speeches now. How can she say she is for change when she has already been in the WH with her husband for 8 years. Exactly what change are they going to be able to bring.
    I for one certainly do not want to go back to the 90's and I am not saying that Bill didn't do some good for the country but it is now 2008 and times have changed and so have the American people
    It is time for Barack Obama

January 27, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  15. vidiii

Hillary does not need a Kennedy to endorse her. Bill Clinton is the most valuable endorser. Obama needed Bill Clinton's endorsement in his run as Illinois senator. If will be the nominee, who will endorse him? Do you think the millions of Clinton fanatics will go out and vote for Obama? Nope, they will stay home or vote for Republican specially if McCain is the nominee.

January 27, 2008 01:41 am at 1:41 am |
  16. Connie, Richmond, CA

Thank you Caroline.

January 27, 2008 01:44 am at 1:44 am |
  17. PAUL PROVIDENCE RI

I can't beleive they allow rasist to comment on this site. Ann you go and vote for who ever you want, but let it be from your thinking, not your color of skin. This a shame that people still have these thoughts in there mind. I look at people and only see human beings such as I.

January 27, 2008 01:49 am at 1:49 am |
  18. GaryO Virginia Beach

Oh yes Caroline, Barack Obama is certainly inspirational, but not like John Kennedy . . . more like Jim Jones.

January 27, 2008 01:55 am at 1:55 am |
  19. jdksdsk

People, please, your English is deplorable! Guess that's why we have Bush in the White House.

January 27, 2008 01:56 am at 1:56 am |
  20. Mary

Caroline Kennedy is a person of great integrity, dignity and intelligence. I admire the way she has chosen to live her life and raise her family out of the spotlight and maelstrom that is the US political process.

It is a moment for celebration hearing the news of Caroline’s endorsement of Barack Obama.

THANK YOU, CAROLINE!!

January 27, 2008 01:57 am at 1:57 am |
  21. boho

Best of luck Obama

January 27, 2008 02:02 am at 2:02 am |
  22. jack

thank you caroline.lets take a moment of silence for the 4000 troops we have lost in a war that has brought the economy down.obama is the right guy of change.i voted for clinton twice but his/her behavour is terrible.i rather not vote if she is the norminee .anybody who voted for J. MacCain is insane.we lost 4000 men and u are not thinking about that........

January 27, 2008 02:03 am at 2:03 am |
  23. shane

Australia loves Obama

Fired up ready to go !

Good to see our American brothersheading back on the right course !

OBAMA 08

January 27, 2008 02:14 am at 2:14 am |
  24. Patty

Oh Caroline...my family is so disappointed in your endorsement...our country cannot be run on inspiration alone, go to church for inspiration. Our country needs the most intelligent leaders to govern and straighten this mess out. I told an undecided friend the other day....what would happen if Obama couldn't speak...well enough said....I want a doer not someone that blows smoke up my skirt.....the republicans know they can beat Obama...I guess you want them to steal another election?

January 27, 2008 02:16 am at 2:16 am |
  25. Patty

A nice smile with an intelligent conversation. Well educated and well adjusted to American culture. It's the lies hiding deep in his heart and the knife hiding behind him that we must be concerned about. Killing you with a smile using a weapon or using constitutional law is no different. Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing. If you think otherwise, than they probably will hit your home first.

January 27, 2008 02:19 am at 2:19 am |