January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. James

Prior to the primaries, I respected the Clintons and Obama but after the double-teaming, nasty finger-pointing of Bill Clinton, it left a bad impression of the Clintons.
    I'm not surprised Obama won the South Carolina primary.
    I'm glad to hear of Caroline Kennedy's endorsement.

I support Obama.

January 27, 2008 02:24 am at 2:24 am |
  2. Nancy, Dallas TX

Caroline Kennedy writes children's books. Occasionally she agrees to be trotted out by the Democratic party for the same reason the Republicans trot out Nancy Reagan. Its not much more than a curiosity, kind of like seeing extended family you don't see often. So don't get carried away by this meaningless endorsement. Half the people of voting age don't even know who she is!

January 27, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  3. Kim

Carolne Kennedy should be a shamed to put Obama in the rank with her Dad. Obama can never be like John F. Kennedy. For her to back Obama she must be out of her mine. Obama is not for all people. He is just saying what you want to hear. He has white family member's he doesn't get alone with nor does he want any thing to do with them.Obama is not the best one for President. ththing

January 27, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  4. Jason & Renee Allen

We're so proud of you Caroline. We come from a much younger generation and never got to witness how your father united this country years ago, but seeing our peers inspired like this in 2008 warms our soul. Hearing news like this from you warms our hearts. And reading the cynical comments that all the billary supports are making only strengthens our resolve and affirms that we're backing the right person for the job.

I guess the apples don't fall that far from the tree, isn't that right, billary supporters?

Obama 08!

January 27, 2008 02:27 am at 2:27 am |
  5. R.A.R.

I'm glad to see that voter's aren't easily swayed by someones endorsment, no matter who they are. If we can't make up our own minds, then we're pretty pathetic. I was a supporter of Richardson until he dropped out and so I was looking at the other's. Now that Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Obama, I still feel exactly the same. Nothing for me has changed. Do I go with a Senetor who's been running for the President for almost as long as he's beein in the senate and has changed the world so much that he has to stand up when he eats...or the one from New York who's been in there for about six years and is on a commitee and who's worked for children and that I have benefited from, and who saw a veteran trying to get the help he needed. When no one would help him, he wrote to this Candidate and was helped tremendously. Or should I go for the one that's not even the Senator anymore...I just can't decide.

I think I'll be going with Bloomberg if he runs.

January 27, 2008 02:34 am at 2:34 am |
  6. Brett

Change...abracadabras... THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN...Barack just says change and it happens, like David Copperfield. Seriously people, look at the issues and tell me who really has PLANS for change. In other words I can't just say MONEY and I'm a millionaire. People please think about the RHETORIC RHETORIC RHETORIC RHETORIC that you are voting for. That's right, not the substantive policy, the verbal RHETORIC of Obama.

January 27, 2008 02:35 am at 2:35 am |
  7. H

I can honestly say that I wasn't on board with Barack Obama at the beginning of this election year. I was leaning more toward Hilary and John Edwards, but he has continued to impress me. He has won 2 huge primaries and his confidence level has greatly increased which I believe has contributed to his increasing charisma and brick-hard stand on certain issues during the debates. It's just ashame to me that some Whites still only see "a Black man." What this entire country needs is a change! A plan for the future! Come on White America! This is 2008!!! Caroline Kennedy is just an example of someone not seeing color but instead seeing potential. At age 28, this is an exciting time for me and my generation. Bush has done nothing for my generation, but of course, my white, Republican co-workers (in Texas) disagree. They see this entire election year as nothing more than their duty to make sure that this country is not run by a Black man. How pathetic!

January 27, 2008 02:37 am at 2:37 am |
  8. Yes We Can!

WHAT?!! 55% and Hilary's name was on the ballot???....IMPRESSIVE!

The most that Obama was ever behind was 4% never a whopping 28%.

Let's all remember that George Bush Jr., Bill Clinton, Ronald Reagan and John F. Kennedy, Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Carter were all LESS experienced than the people they were running against for President. So if you voted for any of these people in the past or believe any of these individuals did a great job, but you are using experience against Obama now....you are what is called a HYPOCRITE!

OBAMA '08
    Time for Change!!

January 27, 2008 02:38 am at 2:38 am |
  9. Hillary Clinton Supporter

I read all the comments from Obama supporters, and I have to say that if this is the HOPE and CHANGE we have to look forward to, I want no part of it. You guys can be really nasty and hateful. I am sick and tired of the Media giving Obama a free ride. He has no experience, and he is tied to Lobbyists, and it just goes by without notice. The Republicans are licking their chops at the prospect of Obama being the Democratic Nominee. Obama is all talk and no action. GO HILLARY!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:39 am at 2:39 am |
  10. Max

In the '60 campaign, JFK said "it's time to get this country moving again."

Caroline Kennedy recognizes that many of the same challenges are present today. I think Barack frames it exactly right: this election has to be about the future and not the past.

January 27, 2008 02:42 am at 2:42 am |
  11. LINA

I WANT MY VOICE TO BE HEARD TOO.. OBAMA REPRESENT THE FUTURE, HE CAN MAKE THE UNITY AMERICA NEED AND I AM GLAD CAROLINE KENNEDY ENDORSED HIM, HE DESERVE MORE!!!!!!

GO BARAK, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  12. Cecelia, Maryland

Thank you Caroline for the endorcement. That means a lot to Obama supporters like myself. I was not around when your dad was alive but have heard great things about him. I have heard people say over and over again that Barack reminds them of JFK. The fact that you have made it known publicly validates those sentiments. Thank you! Thank you!

This man has a gift and anyone unable to see it, is looking too closely at the mundane task of simply running a beaurocratic system. If you want someone to take the helm and hit the ground running carrying out the same policies of the nineties, then Hillary is your girl. If hyou want someone who can inspire people around him to work hard to bring about the change this country needs, then Obama is your man. I don't know about you, but the CEO who is a micro manager always achieves less than the CEO who inspires his workers to work double time to accomplish his agenda and dreams. That's what Obama inspirational speeches does to people. It moves them not only to tears. It moves them to ACT!

January 27, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  13. sali

i have the utmost respect for ms. kennedy, however, i cannot and do not respect this decision to endorse sen. obama. i see nothing substantive.. in his short sketchy senate record that doesn't back his rhetoric...

obama doesn't impress me... and i'm sorry to say that ms. kennedy disappoints me greatly with this news.

January 27, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  14. FelishkaAnn

I think this endorsement will speak volume to those who want to listen I happen to be one of those crazy people who believe words can change a Nation and Hope can unite us all. I'm very proud of what Barack Obama has done I went from being just a regular voter to a volunteer then first time Iowa caucus goers. I don’t know how the people came out in SC but in IA very few people went to the caucus alone for instance I went with my husband, my daughter, my nephew, my cousin, his girlfriend and a friend of the family. My father and grandmother, aunts and uncles with there kids also caucus What Barack has done is given Americans the reason to hope again. Its an amazing thing to see history in the making and if you don’t want to Barock this boat with us back up cause the waves are coming!!! OBAMA 08

January 27, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  15. Deleted User

When your father became President of the US, you were too young to know him. I was a fan of your father from the time he engaged Nixon in the Presidential debates till the end of his thousand days in the White House. I knew your father then better than you do now. Obama's preaching of HOPE and CHANGE is nothing new. Even Bill Clinton preached HOPE during his first election to the Presidency. I can only say that like the other Obama supporters mesmerized by empty oratory, you are too NAIVE to endorse Obama. Open your eyes. It is clear you do not know Hillary much, or even watched the debates where Hillary bested Obama all the time. Hillary has the experience and ability. Obama has little or none, with even nothing to show about his performance in the US Senate. Get real! GO HILLARY!

January 27, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  16. Darryl, Arlington TX

Yes, We Can Change America. I Believe in Obama for President he have my vote and support. To Obama keep on track don't fall into the Clinton trap. America needs your leadershiip. May God, Continue to bless Caroline Kennedy.

January 27, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  17. Steve

Go Caroline!
    Mr. Obama has the ability to unite the country.
    His speech tonight shed the very light and inspiration that makes his run for the White House so strong.
    Iowa has 95% whites living in the state, and yet he won. Now, he's victorious in South Carolina, which have a strong majority of African-Americans.
    It's not about "Race", he's proven this point from these 2 victories.
    Fire up and still going!

Obama '08

January 27, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  18. Kim

Carolne Kennedy should be a shamed to put Obama in the rank with her Dad. Obama can never be like John F. Kennedy. For her to back Obama she must be out of her mine. Obama is not for all people. He is just saying what you want to hear. He has white family member's he doesn't get alone with nor does he want any thing to do with them.Obama is not the best one for President. Hillary Clinton is the best one more experience .She has 8 years as first lady of Arkansas and 8 years experience as first lady in the White House.Plus she is a lawyer and a Senator. All I can say is be smart vote Hillary for president .Obama is not ready for the job.We ask for Hillary before but she waited cause Al Gore ran she would have hurt his chance of winning against Bush. She has come to help us now the people of the United States. Hillary can and will help all people. If Obama won I see us in worse shape than we are now. People please think Hillary is one with the know how and will back it up. **VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON**

January 27, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  19. Lorene

I am baffled by the comments comparing Hillary's "specific" examples of how she will cure the social and economic ills we face with Barack's so called non-specific examples. Let me tell you, I believe he wants to and can accomplish what he has set forth, and I certainly take his inpirational message of hope and change any day over a bunch of lies and what is certain to be campaign promises unfulfilled.

January 27, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  20. larry

I am very impress by my fello Americans and it show that we have all matured . Today , no longer AM I a Republican. i will be making a donation to the "Obama" Camp .. he seems very straight forward and not corrupted . God bless America .

January 27, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  21. Angelique

I for one am tired of people saying Obama doesn't have the experience to run this country. Look who you voted in last time America...Nepitism at it's best. Don't make the same mistake again with Hillary Clinton. Just because she "slept" in the same bed with a president for 8 years doesn't mean she's qualified to be one. As the joke goes,"I don't want the pilot's WIFE flying my plane"

While Obama was a civil-rights attorney fighting for the working man, Hillary was a well paid corporate attorney who has never seen the inside of a courtroom. She has very little experience, and sat on the sidelines of what will always be known as one of the biggest "freakshows" in presidential history, thanks to the husband that seems to be getting more air time than she does. You'd think he was running for president again. Do you realize it has taken 2 Clintons to try and beat Obama. And I don't know about you, but I'm not too comfortable with a president that needs her husband to fight her battles for her.

Oh, as much as I like Edwards for all the good he's done as an attorney fighting big tobacco and corporate america for folks like you and me, I really hope he drops out soon, swings his support to Obama, and then becomes Obama's running mate. Now that's a ticket I'd be proud to vote for!

GO OBAMA/EDWARDS '08!!

January 27, 2008 03:01 am at 3:01 am |
  22. Plus

Well, another female falls for an inexperienced big-earred smooooth talker....just like the one we have in the White House now. I predict this democratic race will divide this country. I can feel the fear. BO is not ready to run this country and be a world leader. He'll depend on the opinions of other–just like Bush. When we vote for something other than true leadership, well, we get what we vote for....Bush. I will have an extremely difficult time voting for BO if we are starry-eyed enough to give him the nomination. I just can't let us go to hell in a handbasket...as "inspiring" as that basket may look to some.

January 27, 2008 03:15 am at 3:15 am |
  23. Lisa

Who cares what she thought of him. Other than black votes, or some male votes, look at the age groups that vote for him. Young college students, who have no real life experiences. Dream can not take you any where. Wake up, American! A vote for Obama is a vote for disaster. What can this guy offer other than wishful inspiring speeches?

January 27, 2008 03:16 am at 3:16 am |
  24. Lynn

I am rejoicing with the SC win, enjoying the Kennedy endorsement, and hoping for the first time in 8 years, that our country might not be toast, after all.

OBAMA '08

January 27, 2008 03:21 am at 3:21 am |
  25. Joyce

As far as I'm concerned, her father was killed too soon, and her thoughts on obama are absolutely absurd, her father was a fair and just man who had not only the ability to talk to people in this country, but people all over the world. Obama is not qualified to run this country and wouldn't know how to talk to people and leaders all over the world. He lacks certain knowledge about foreign affairs and would do more harm to this country than good, because he just lacks the experience. Maybe twenty years from now he will have achieved that goal. There will never be another John F. Kennedy, and certainly there will never be another man to amount to his ability.

January 27, 2008 03:33 am at 3:33 am |