January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. JoeC

Endorsements are nice and there are probably many other notable people who want to endorse Obama. But he should not have this nomination handed to him. The nastiness we are starting to see in this campaign is like watching sausage being made. It's not pleasant but it is necessary.

After the primary is decided, the Clintons will probably fess up to some underhanded tactics as a means to make Obama prove his mettle. He is going to need these sparing sessions to prepare him for the bare knuckle battles in the General Election. Obama is being vetted and so far he seems to be holding up.

January 27, 2008 03:35 am at 3:35 am |
  2. Mart from Chicago

hmmm... so what did JFK do for this country?? I'm too young to remember that... all I learn and know about him was that he's the youngest president and he got murdered... And really? Obama is inspiring?? i have seen his speeches on several occasions, and I cant see that change he's talking about & honestly, he's uncertainty, and I just dont get so emotional or think he's inspiring, well at least for me.... But if you all like uncertainty and just love to be inspired, then by all means vote for Obama... I mean IF inspiration and the uncertainty of change are what you want for this country, then I guess Obama's the candidate for it... I for one would rather have certainty of change, and I believe Hillary offers that...

and does she counts as a delegate??? I mean if not, does it really matter if she endorses Obama?? I for one wouldnt vote just because a daughter of a former president endorses a candidate... I mean a former president endorsing a candidate would be much more appealing and newsworthy.... You know what, CNN should also find all the children, grand children,great grandchildren and so on of president Roosevelt, Carter etc just to find out who endorses which candidate... The point is, who cares?? What I want to know are when superdelegates endorsing someone... that I care.. it wouldnt change my vote, but I think that is newsworthy....

January 27, 2008 03:36 am at 3:36 am |
  3. Amy R

Thank you Caroline for standing up for change! You are indeed a woman of integrity and I am so proud of you!! Obama does indeed have the vision and leadership like JFK. Obama can really unite and move this country forward.

January 27, 2008 03:40 am at 3:40 am |
  4. Nick

Carolyn Kennedy is right there is something special about Oboma that is very uplifting. He makes you feel good whenever I listen to him, he gives people hope, and if you believe like I do that Iraq was a mistake he is the only one left in the race besides Ron Paul that was against us going there. I suported the Iraq war but realize my mistake. It would be nice to have a President that could get foreign policy right from the beginning and showed better judgement than I did.

January 27, 2008 03:42 am at 3:42 am |
  5. Sean

You are comparing obama with your father, personally, there is not now and never will be another president like your father. I am a young voter and do not agree with your thinking. your thoughts about change are correct. We need a woman in the white house who has more experience and the ability to make the change that you talk about. We would have elected another Kennedy (Bobby) had he not been killed. I think that we need change, but not O'bama, not yet.

January 27, 2008 03:45 am at 3:45 am |
  6. Alex from NYC

Wow, reading some of these Hillary supporters comments just got me even more pissed off. If people like "Ann" are who make up the Clinton support, I want nothing to do with it.

-One of many whites who support Obama

January 27, 2008 03:46 am at 3:46 am |
  7. Ernest

I think that arnie has been playing with your brain too long. I used to admire you but your brain went out the window. We would have had more kenedy's(Uncle Bobby and your brother) but its too bad that god took away the best ones. we may need to change, but not obama.

GO HILLARY!

January 27, 2008 03:50 am at 3:50 am |
  8. Mitt

Huge news .. WOW
    That tells you exactly how the media gives Obama a free ride .

Another HUGE news .. Obama won SC ..

Wait with 55% of the voters are African American , and 2 other white candidates splitting the white votes .

WOW I thought that wasn't about RACE or GENDER

January 27, 2008 03:52 am at 3:52 am |
  9. Rod

Remember that God-awful feeling many of us Democrats had after Bush stole the elections from Gore back in 2000!

Anyone but Bush was the hope for many of us in 2004. Remember that God-awful feeling again when 62,040,610 Americans were so wrong to re-elect him?

2008 is the best chance for Democrats to re-take the White House. If Hillary is the Democratic candidate in November, Republicans will rejoice and the Democrats will lose again. Think about that God-awful feeling you'll have once more!

Let's quit shooting ourselves in the foot and get it right this time! Support the only candidate that can inspire and bring all Americans together!

Obama '08!

January 27, 2008 03:53 am at 3:53 am |
  10. aloha_girl

Caroline Kennedy clearly vocalized what I have been thinking for the last two weeks. I have been put off with the kind of politics that's coming from the Clinton camp. If it helps in any, for me and my house, we will vote Obama...

Mahalo Obama

January 27, 2008 04:02 am at 4:02 am |
  11. Sandras

Her endorsement was very much personal. We all have to respect that. God Bless

January 27, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  12. Rus

Anaheimbruin – most of Obamas 'present' votes were strategic, often requested or endorsed by those on the liberal side of the issue, and those votes in any case represent a very small percentage of the total. I was young when JFK was in office, but certainly got the sense of inspiration people felt from him. I've seen nothing like that since JFK and RFK untill now. Can we say Obama 'is a JFK'? – more than anyone else I can think of – it's about an ability to inspire and unite, and it's what we need right now.

January 27, 2008 04:19 am at 4:19 am |
  13. Dido

I think it's important for people to respect the opinion of others. There is no need to be negative about Caroline endorsing Obama's run for president; she is a patriotic American who hope for the best for this nation. I comend Caroline for her vision and patriotism.

Long Live the United States of America! Long live the Kennedys! and Long Live Obama '08!

January 27, 2008 04:27 am at 4:27 am |
  14. Republican for Obama!

Caroline joins other people of integrity in supporting Obama. We are tired of old time politics and need a new paradyme. I am a single white female Republican supporting him. The only way to beat the Clinton machine is for a ground swell of Americans to turn out and vote.

January 27, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  15. JL Pagano

FYI Katy1111...JFK's win was far from a landslide!!! He got 49.7% of the popular vote to Nixon's 49.5%!!!

January 27, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  16. @ndy

I like Obama too but since when is the daughter of a former president an authority on who I should vote for?

January 27, 2008 04:31 am at 4:31 am |
  17. DM

I have hOpe!

Obama '08!

January 27, 2008 04:32 am at 4:32 am |
  18. Laura

A leadership is about responsibility, making the tough calls when backed against a wall. Obama never did that. He bowed out in both the State Legislature and the US Senate by voting present 130 times, and by missing key votes in the US Senate due to absence and has the nerve to criticize others for how they vote. That is cowardly and no amount of his smooth talking will convince me to support him LET ALONE any specific endorsement. He is campaigning on the hopes of liberals that the country has changed enough to elect a minority of color, but what has that got to do with his ability to lead? I say again, he has shown the exact opposite of leadership!

January 27, 2008 04:42 am at 4:42 am |
  19. Angela

I am a young person who supports Hillary Clinton. I heard Obama speak and while he is glib at choosing words – I don't think that's the most important thing for a president. We need someone who can make sound policy decisions, who can make changes through good policies, foreign diplomacy, and a sound economic plan. I don't care much about pretty speeches or news about this endorsement – what has Caroline done besides be born into a wealthy family?.

Go Hillary!

January 27, 2008 04:48 am at 4:48 am |
  20. Anonymous

Congrats Obama, but I still won't vote for you. GO HILLARY 2008!!!!

January 27, 2008 04:52 am at 4:52 am |
  21. Lynn

The Clintons' got it shoved right in their lying, low life faces. Go Senator Obama and thank you to my wonderful South Caroinians!!!

January 27, 2008 04:57 am at 4:57 am |
  22. Bungler OOPS

Another hag that wants to be a star

January 27, 2008 04:58 am at 4:58 am |
  23. Buddhabman

WOW! Can there be a more important symbolic endorsement for a new generation of leadership. The fight against the establishment is not over but they know they got a fight now.

Obama 08

January 27, 2008 05:00 am at 5:00 am |
  24. aloha_girl

Oh, mahalo Caroline Kennedy, what an intelligent analysis...God bless to you and yours.

January 27, 2008 05:01 am at 5:01 am |