January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. EH

THIS IS FOR: Yolanda Diaz ,

YOU SAID: "Shame on her". WHY ? BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T VOTE FOR A WOMAN ? SHE VOTED WHO SHE FELT WOULD BE BEST AT DELIVERING THE CHANGE THIS COUNTRY SO DESPERATELY NEEDS. TIRED OF THE SAME "OLD" FACES IN D.C. MS. DIAZ, WOULDN'T LIKE TO VOTE FOR SOMEONE WHO BEST HAS YOUR INTERESTS (YOUR ISSUES), AT HEART ? WELL, IT ISN'T SEN. CLINTON, THAT'S FOR SURE.....

January 27, 2008 05:19 am at 5:19 am |
  2. UNITERNOTADIVIDER

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama: A President Like My Father, SHE STATES

The Bill-Arys WERE and still ARE trying to have a legacy worth remembering.
    Obama respresents the FUTURE FOR ALL AMERICANS. 123- ON FEB 5 FOR GOOD SAY NO!!!!!
    TO BILL-ARY!

January 27, 2008 05:34 am at 5:34 am |
  3. Nando

YES we CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OBAMA 08,12

January 27, 2008 05:42 am at 5:42 am |
  4. Hubie Nelson

Lord Jesus Christ

Only You knows who is the best person for president for the USA.
    If it's Obama, give us Obama,
    If Clinton, Give us Clinton,
    My choice is Obama.

Mississippi

January 27, 2008 05:50 am at 5:50 am |
  5. Ilene, Livonia MI

Thank you Caroline. We need people like her who rarely speak up to endorse Obama. He is the only Democrat that can win this election and turn this evil empire around. As for the Hillary Clinton supporters, I have one thing to point out. It is said again and again that the educated support Obama. I think that is because we all know Hillary is a liar and she will NOT win against the republicans. If over half of her own party doesn't like her, how do you think the republicans feel about her??? LIAR LIPS Hillary. Get on the Obama bandwagon and forget Hillary and her side-kick Bill who will not make it back to the White House. Too much dirty laundry. We need someone like Obama that can rally enough votes to bury the republicans in hell.

January 27, 2008 05:56 am at 5:56 am |
  6. Mark, Wilkes Barre PA

WOW,, now this is news,, Our most loved family is split on who there endorsing for the democrats. Watch Teddy come out and endorse John Edwards and make it complete. WHO CARES

January 27, 2008 06:02 am at 6:02 am |
  7. ...goose bumpsMs. S. Brown

...i actually got goose pimples reading this article...old enough to remember the hope & unity John Kennedy made the nation feel...& young enough to have faith that America is ready to move beyond, our sometimes painful past !

January 27, 2008 06:08 am at 6:08 am |
  8. Craig H, Mpls, MN

I'm a white male and for Obama because he is the least divisive candidate out there in my judgment. I realise that "feel good talk" is not eveything after Bush's "compasionate conservatism" and "no nation building" rhetoric proved nothing but words, but after 8 years of Rovian divisive politics where disagreeing with the president was painted as unamerican and/or evil, I think the nation and the world need some healing. Obama is a charismatic who can influence people by making them feel good about themselves and the future. While I would love to see a woman president, Hillary's not a charismatic leader because her nature is scolding and makes people feel bad about themselves and the future. She may work hard, but what is the point without the joy of living that a scolding nature erodes? In my infinitly limited wisdom I put Obama's charisma ahead of Hillary's scolding experience. Forgive me if I am wrong.

January 27, 2008 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  9. Nan

Ann,

Your way of thinking or rather not thinking is the reason America is so divided today. Do us all a favor and stay out of politics, then you will be doing America a great service.

The Clintons need to read their Bible more often...You reap what you sow!

January 27, 2008 06:09 am at 6:09 am |
  10. Mark, Wilkes Barre PA

Cuban missle crisis ,,WE were literally minutes away from total nuclear world destruction,, In the face of great pressure to bend from contrary oppinion,,JFK held on to his beliefs, prayed to his god,( "his words not mine" ) Did not cave in to foriegn threat, "stayed the course" and broke the back of our greatest national security threat for terror in american history,, that is ,,, up till now,,, sound familiar ?

January 27, 2008 06:18 am at 6:18 am |
  11. rudi

Shame on Caroline? Shame for going with her mind and heart? Women or democrats are no more homogeneous than is any other group. Supporting someone just because she is a lawyer or woman like herself is not a great start in exercising keen judgement. There would be no election if all the preconditions for support were met. You have got to earn it., not ride on the COATTAILS of your husband.
    That is the big difference, Obama is prepared to work for it, Hillary feels she deserves and so is entitled to the nomination.

January 27, 2008 06:19 am at 6:19 am |
  12. Anonymous

A Cute memorry .... stop sucking cute balls, people .......

January 27, 2008 06:20 am at 6:20 am |
  13. PaulMo

It's unfortunate that they women supporters of Clinton cannot let go of their ego. It's a biased jack in the box that cannot spring, or even seep through the side door to realize the difference between Hillary, I mean Billary, and Barack Obama. A man of hope, vision, and integrity, and willing to speak the truth at all costs; just read "The Audacity of Hope". I'm sad for those women, who will wake up and realize that this is just a dream, and not false hope. That while this country may be ready for a woman president, this country is not ready for Hillary Clinton, former President Clinton's husband. Change does not equate to Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton.

To those who seek the truth, to those who seek a vision and hope, god bless you in your intellect and seeing the truth, yes, we are starting to believe.

Peace, Paul

January 27, 2008 06:21 am at 6:21 am |
  14. J Moses

I've heard alot about Obama being a "feel good" candidate. Like that's some kind of insult ? What the heck is so Terrible about feeling good ??!!! I gotta tell you I'm feeling great right about now. GO OBAMA !!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 06:24 am at 6:24 am |
  15. vmtu@aol.com

i wonder what arnie the rep/would say on your choice.and who cares about the kennedys opinion anyway/

January 27, 2008 06:25 am at 6:25 am |
  16. Suzie the Independent

I have loved Caroline since she was a little girl but I think she made a huge mistake by endorsing Obama. Of course it doesn't matter to me who endorses him, I wouldn't vote for him anyhow since I do have a mind of my own.

John F. Kennedy was my favorite president but Obama doesn't even come close to him.

January 27, 2008 06:31 am at 6:31 am |
  17. Eiji

I am a 73 year old Asian American and still can remember the inspiring speech JFK made in Ann Arbor,MI in 1960. Obama inspires me in a similar way. Thank you, Caroline, for endorsing Obama.

January 27, 2008 06:34 am at 6:34 am |
  18. julie

Well cnn I see you wont post my comment ,so dont! How about just for once we see some EQUAL coverage on Clinton and Obama? Clinton wins.two states and she is slammed by the media,Obama wins two states and Clinton is slammed by the media.Obama has used the words in his speeches that came straight from the other candidates mouths, and we hear nothing! Obama wins s.c and all we hear about are the negativeson the Clintons.I would like to hear BOTH SIDES please! What about the issues? who voted for or against what?

January 27, 2008 06:35 am at 6:35 am |
  19. claude e. sloan

...what a warm and moving endorsement....that Obama inspires her in the way in which she's felt her father inspired so many in his candidacy and presidency, is so easy to understand and applaud. JFK – alongside his brother, Bobby, the Rev. ML King, Jr. and other visinary leaders -reconnected a government to its people and galvanized a nation into actively participating in its own destiny and potentiality... here's hoping, Caroline, that reverberating effect can empower us once more!
    OBAMA 08!

January 27, 2008 06:44 am at 6:44 am |
  20. Ivory

It is a undisputed fact that every candidate touts their endorsments. Just look at HRC's website, one of the top stories is her NY Times endorsement. So for her supporters to come in here and say that Carloine Kennedy endorsing Obama does not matter is just plain stupid.

Issues are important, but this is a democratic primary, meaning that they mostly agree on issues. What is important in the nomination process is the candidates ability to make people come together. Only by doing that can you be a strong leader, a great commander in chief, and get things done. That is why Obama is the obvious candidate.

January 27, 2008 07:03 am at 7:03 am |
  21. Mike in Kentucky

And I would ask, what difference does this make?

No disrespect to Ms. Kennedy but this is just another endorsement from a "famous" person. So she is the daughter of JFK, and...?

I'm guessing that Pope John Paul will shortly endorse Mr. Obama from the grave, on CNN!

January 27, 2008 07:08 am at 7:08 am |
  22. EH

YOU KNOW, I READ ALOT OF THESE COMMENTS, AND I'VE NOTICED THAT EVERY WOMAN WHO HAS COMMENTED IN SUPPORT OF CLINTON, I BELIEVE, HAS DONE SO ONLY BECAUSE SHE'S A ANOTHER WOMAN. I DON'T THINK HILARY CLINTON IS A PRINCIPLED CANDIDATE. I DO BELIEVE SHE'S PRINCIPLED, BUT NOT IN THE WASHINGTON D.C. MEANING OF PRINCIPLED, IF YOU FOLLOW WHAT I MEAN ? TO BE FOR CLINTON, JUST BECAUSE SHE'S A WOMAN, AND THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT, BEING A WOMAN. BUT, THIS COUNTRY NEEDS SOMEONE FRESH AND NEW IN THE WHITE HOUSE. HILARY CLINTON AIN'T IT PEOPLE–IT'S O'BAMA !!!!

January 27, 2008 07:20 am at 7:20 am |
  23. EH

THIS IS FOR: TRUE_BLUE,

I LIKE YOUR STYLE–AND, YOU MADE ALOT OF SENSE!!!

January 27, 2008 07:22 am at 7:22 am |
  24. victor

Please all American should open their heart and mind to Obama because i believe that he got something good for America we all loved.

January 27, 2008 07:28 am at 7:28 am |
  25. v.ananthan

IS SHE A REPUBLICAN??????
    OBAMA HAS NO CHANCE AGAINST FRONT REPUBLICAN RUNNERS WHEN IT COMES TO NATIONAL SECURITY AND ECONOMY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

OBAMA WINNING IS THE GOOD NEWS REPUBLICCANS CAN HOPE FOR...

January 27, 2008 07:31 am at 7:31 am |