January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Mark Cross Junction VA

Of Course a Liberal give our money away to the lazy people Kennedy would support a Liberal give our money away to the lazy people, raise taxes dope smoking Obama.

January 27, 2008 07:32 am at 7:32 am |
  2. Stephon

Wow! And that’s not for Obama’s big win but how Hillary didn’t even stay in South Carolina to say thank you to all of her hard working volunteers. Didn’t she stay in the other States? What a slap in the face that was!

January 27, 2008 07:33 am at 7:33 am |
  3. Oscar

Isn't everyone one sick of the Clinton machine? What's next...Hillary's mother running in 2012?

January 27, 2008 07:34 am at 7:34 am |
  4. kelley

Finally, someone is articulating what I have been feeling about Obama. I was born two years before Kennedy was killed. Obama has a feeling about him that I believe can change government, how America is perceived and all of "us". We need to come together as a people to solve some of our biggest problems – strategically and tactically. I have heard republicans senators say he has brought people together in the Senate.

Picture a white house with the character of Obama – built with people who want to help this country – fix the problems. Now,picture a white house – out to get its enemies – and show how "superior" it is.

Thank you Caroline for saying what "no" politician would dare say – I believe Obama could inspire us to all be better – just as your father did almost fourty years ago.

January 27, 2008 07:37 am at 7:37 am |
  5. Gemmeg

I do appreciate the endorsement of Caroline Kennedy. The inspiration given by Obama so far has sent a wave of shock amount americans.
    Doesn't matter what will happen to him his name is already in record book as the first young black leader in all time to shock America.
    Those who hate Obama because he is black are holding back the evolution of America.
    Among 42 Presidents of USA, we have never had a black president. When this will happen, even after 4 centuries, it is going to be the beginning of everything, it is what you don't want to face now.

January 27, 2008 07:38 am at 7:38 am |
  6. Mitt

When you compare JFK to Obama .. that must be the biggest joke .

JFK was a very experienced politician and a national WWII hero .. his inspiration wasn't just poetry and media dust .

January 27, 2008 07:44 am at 7:44 am |
  7. John ny, ny

sorry Obama is no JFK. Please don't cheapen JFK by comparing to Obama

January 27, 2008 07:48 am at 7:48 am |
  8. Willy

A Shocker; One socialist endorses another socialist.

January 27, 2008 07:49 am at 7:49 am |
  9. JMarno

Devan Lewis who is 16 years of age in Mississippi, who is spreading the words and message of Obama- YOU ARE PRECIOUS!!!

January 27, 2008 07:50 am at 7:50 am |
  10. JB Boston MA

If you are still asking "what change will Obama bring?" , then you are either deaf or just blinded by your love of Hillary.

He has made it very clear, just listen.

And, I love how endorsements mean nothing if they don't back your candidate!

I challenge you to go to any ticker story that has a mention of Hillary and find one that does not contain anger, questions of integrity and morality and concern. This is coming from Democrats as well as Republicans.

Hillary will divide this country and provide the worst political culture ever. When she says things like "only democrats know how to fix this country", that divides. Why do you want to force a candidate on a country who doesn't want her? If you don't like Obama, vote for Edwards.

January 27, 2008 08:00 am at 8:00 am |
  11. d

I think Caroline got influence from her uncle. Go Hilliary. It was a 'black' issue in South Carolina. Are we blind?

January 27, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  12. G. Boateng

Thank God for Obama. Hill sucks!! Go Obama.

January 27, 2008 08:01 am at 8:01 am |
  13. douglas moores

The fact that Caroline Kennedy has decided to support Mr Obama is a very clear indication that the Clinto " message " has not resonated well .
    Ms Kennedy has decided the time for change has come and she has made a wise decision .
    The negative and divisive campaign tactics of the Clintons are unacceptable and offensive ...there is " wisdom in the crowd " as the expression goes , and many are seeing the all out desperation of the Clinton campaign come into focus.
    Mr Obama offers a clear change ..a chance to renew the Counrty and he will make a genuine effort to offer hope to many of his fellow Americans .
    Mrs Clinton is not whom the Country needs now and surely her former Presidental appendage has had his day .
    Move over BILLARY ..the fast moving Obama express has left you at the station .

January 27, 2008 08:03 am at 8:03 am |
  14. d

Oh I see its ok for Oprah to 'stump'. But when its Bill, its racial. Give me a break !

January 27, 2008 08:04 am at 8:04 am |
  15. Bill Moore

LOL..I think it's funny when people can respond to Caroline and say Sen. Obama's "Nothing Like Her Father..."umm, it was HER FATHER...I think she'd know! GOD BLESS..

January 27, 2008 08:08 am at 8:08 am |
  16. ramno

The whole is for Obama without even testing/understanding fully. They all have fallen for his speech magic. In the past great people did good work first and great speechs later. This no stunning great work but trying to cash on the speech and publiciy of the books he wrote ASAP. if he is elected USA will pay in great.

January 27, 2008 08:09 am at 8:09 am |
  17. benvictor

As Lloyd Bentsen said to Dan Quayle during a debate, "I knew John Kennedy. And Senator, you are no John Kennedy." Love that line. So my question remains, what is behind her endorsement?

January 27, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  18. NickNas

Why is MY comment still WAITING MODERATION? So many posted afterward have been posted already?

January 26, 2008 9:58 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    WOW!!! ummmmmm WOW!!!

Ok now here come all of the negative comments that make NO Sense.

You people can belittle all of this all you want, but Obama just beat your Girl AND Edwards with More Votes than the two of them COMBINED!!!!

GOD you must be Scared to death! Your posts show it clearly.

January 27, 2008 08:20 am at 8:20 am |
  19. John

Read this BECKY:

I have loved America since I was a little white boy, and just because she was a president's wife will make no difference in why I, or the rest of oppressed, non-wealthy Americans will vote. Go OBAMA.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hat's off to Caroline...............

January 27, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  20. Steve Wimer

Obama won't be able to lead America around by the and without a cooperative Congress. America is in danger of being taken over by facists. Obama will just add fuel to their fire. Obama won't be able to take the hits from Republican liars. He'll fold like a cheap suit.

January 27, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  21. wild schield

SWEET CAROLINE daa daa daa ........her endorsement means more to the american people than any newspaper or any politician . she is REAL someone who has her OWN MIND and makes her OWN CHOICES.
    she sees the COURAGE the HOPE and the VISION FOR THE FUTURE that he OBAMA brIngs to america ......NO HE IS NOT JFK, he is his OWN MAN and THAT is what makes him like JFK.

January 27, 2008 08:22 am at 8:22 am |
  22. linda, London

I am am a British lawyer who has wept many times at the way the USA has abused its world position e.g. Iraq. I am so gripped by the nominations, I stay awake watching and hoping that Obama gets the chance to make the USA great again. I am so inspired by the man and just wish others can see what I see.

Go Obama Go!

Thanks Caroline

January 27, 2008 08:23 am at 8:23 am |
  23. rick

okay i don't see what the big deal is here,, obviously black americans feel most comfortable with someone who looks more like them,, just like many white and latinos feel more comfortable with someone that looks like them,, that is not racial but personal preference,, it was not suprising that this would happen just as it was not suprising that it happened in N.H. and Nevada,, nor will it be any different when we look back after super tuesday

January 27, 2008 08:24 am at 8:24 am |
  24. Nagita

To anybody who thinks Obama has not done anything look at the counties he carried in SC. Leadership is not about using power and telling people what to do. It's about uniting and building a consensus. You can't move forward without it.

January 27, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |
  25. Lame

And why didn't you run for president?

January 27, 2008 08:25 am at 8:25 am |