January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Rosa Peralta. San Antonio. Texas

I don think Caroline knew her father. President Kennedy did not go to talk to Castro as Obama will go to talk to Chavez. But, she is an American Citizen and has the right to vote for whoever she wants. That means nothing to me.

January 27, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  2. v harris

CNN coverage of the South Carolina Democratic primary was disgraceful. 1.) The obvious dislike of Hillary by most of your commentators (led by Carl Bernstein) went beyond analysis to personal vindictiveness. 2.) yes, it had a great deal to do with race – despite the ga ga reporting about Barak's "consensus," he actually received only 20% of the white vote vs. almost 80% of the black vote which had an obvious impact on his victory margin. And Latinos? Forget about it. They are solidly with Hillary. So are women and labor.

January 27, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  3. Janes

its a shame that Caroline would discredit her Great Fathers legacy in comparrison to obama. Her father was a GREAT Man, not a racist! .

January 27, 2008 08:26 am at 8:26 am |
  4. Howard

"Finally a President I can vote for". Caroline Kennedy should know. Obama, has a chance to attract far more Independent and even Republican voters because "he's a uniter" and not a "divider".
    Democrats would be wise to make them their nominee.
    He can win the Presidency because he can inspire people. Hilary, lacks those skills!
    O'Bama '08

January 27, 2008 08:28 am at 8:28 am |
  5. diane

I want experience that can bring results; I don't see that with a speech writing Obama, many times talking to his "brothers" that slang talk, just what we need!!! I am with Robert Kennedy and saw him with Hillary when she arrived in N.H., right by her side, now thats support. My mom and I will vote for Hillary.

January 27, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  6. Awaiting Moderation, USA

To all those Democrats who say endorsements mean nothing - Ever heard of SUPER DELEGATES?

If you factor in the super delegates, Clinton is in the lead. CNN would do a service to its readers explaining this and factoring in those super delegates as well.

Obama '08!

January 27, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  7. Chief

Two things worry me about the Democrats. I've voted straight Democrat since 1976. One , How do the losers always end up with the nomination and two, will any of the losers support the nominee. I.ve noticed in the posts that more Obama supporters say they won't vote for Clinton. Where is that attitude coming from? I don't really like either one, regardless of who endorses them. I will vote for the Dem. nominee. I'll probably vote for Clinton. Things have gotten so negative, I think she is more experienced in this area than the other two.

January 27, 2008 08:30 am at 8:30 am |
  8. iso.

lol...look who's talking she's just want to be noticed.....

January 27, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  9. Scared

This whole "livin' in the past" thing scares me to death. As a "liberal" mother of 2 young kids I have refused to be made to feel afraid by the republican war monger machine. Obama, however, strikes me as not the one do deal with the true, international threats to our future. I trust the lives of my two babies in the hands of Hillary Clinton. The nostalgia for the past and a JFK or MLK-like figure is just not appropriate for our time. It may even be dangerously wrong.

January 27, 2008 08:32 am at 8:32 am |
  10. sue

This is powerful. This Woman, as a child, lost her Father to America. She and John-John were "America's Children"....

She is asking for someone SHE can believe in, as President. Someone to inspire her the way her Father inspired all of us.

How can America say no.

January 27, 2008 08:33 am at 8:33 am |
  11. CAROLE

THANKS SOUTH CAROLINA... FOR SHOWING THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICAN ..THAT WE WILL NOT BE DIVIDED !

January 27, 2008 08:34 am at 8:34 am |
  12. Rosa Peralta. San Antonio. Texas

Did Caroline really know her father? President Kennedy solved the Cuban Missile Crisis and did not go to Cuba to talk to Castro. Obama is planning on talking to Castro and any other renegade leader that stands against us. I do not give any consideration to her endorsement.

January 27, 2008 08:37 am at 8:37 am |
  13. T. Kennedy

Which is worse – not to vote for a candidate because his or her race or gender -or – to vote for a candidate just because his or her race or gender? The statistics show that the SC was all about race.

“Jesse Jackson won South Carolina twice — in ‘84 and ‘88 — and he ran a good campaign, and Senator Obama has run a good campaign,”

”And with race emerging as a key factor in the South Carolina contest, FOX News exit polls showed black voters went for Obama over Clinton by a huge margin of 81 to 17 percent, and 82 percent of black women supported the Illinois senator.”

It is a shame that if someone says something negative about Obama or about the race issue they are a racists.

January 27, 2008 08:39 am at 8:39 am |
  14. mike

Oh, I'm so happy for her. It' great to see that she made her decision. I can't think of a more wonderful thing to read about. Its just great, it's great, great! I want more of this type of reporting. CNN, please tell us more...I just can't wait.

January 27, 2008 08:41 am at 8:41 am |
  15. PJ, New York

Well of course she is supporting Obama. Hillary Clinton is not bleeding heart liberal enough for her. What a joke... who cares who Caroline Kennedy endorses!

January 27, 2008 08:43 am at 8:43 am |
  16. manubi

Kennedy is the royalty of this country although I am not sure how well Caroline Kennedy's endorsement will translate into votes.

In any case, I think there are more elements you need to lead this country than merely having "experience." George W. Bush was elected based on his experience as the governor in Texas and guess what has happened eight years later. Domestically our economy is in a mess, our health care system is subpar, and our education system is in turbulance. I don't think I have to remind you what is going on in Iraq.

We need a president who can rally people with different demographic backgrounds and a president who can get things done in a intelligent way. We just don't need the same old Washington politics (again, that's how we end up here eight years later uder George W. Bush's leadership).

Congrats to Obama's campaign and let's see how this will shape up Super Tuesday.

January 27, 2008 08:44 am at 8:44 am |
  17. Jon

Honestly, why do we care?

January 27, 2008 08:46 am at 8:46 am |
  18. Kim

Boy....reading these coments I wonder if either can win the general election. The racial undertones in the Democratic party is palpable. Just what experience do either of these candidates really have? And will Latinos support a black man? I would hope so.

January 27, 2008 08:47 am at 8:47 am |
  19. Danielle

Hillary Clinton is fortunate to have the power of her husband behind her in this campaign.

Barack Obama has the power to bring together people of all ages, races, ethnic groups, male, female, to bring about effective change in this country.

How old was Bill Clinton in the 92 election? What experience did he have? He was the governor of Arkansas.
    When he took office, he was 47 years old.

How old will President Barack Obama be?
    When he takes office, he will be 47 years old.

Please. Age has nothing to do with it. This man has wisdom beyond his years.

I don't care that he had an African father and a White American mother. I have enough wisdom and confidence to know that race baiting has not work and will never work.

It is time for effective change. I'm tired of having a Bush or a Clinton in the White House. Enough. I'm voting for Senator Barack Obama.

January 27, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  20. gene atlantic beach n c 28512

I CAN WRITE IT SO EVEN THE OBAMA NUTS CAN UNDERSTAND IT HE CAN NOT WIN REPEAT HE CAN NOT WIN YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE THE WHITE HOUSE BACK TO THE SAME IDIOTS THAT PUT US IN THE MESS WE ARE IN NOW HE TALKS CHANGE BUT YOU HAVE TO WORK WITH PEOPLE NOT WALK IN AND WAVE THE MAGIC LETS ALL BE FRIENDS LINE THE REPUBICANS WILL RUN OVER THIS GUY LIKE A MACK TRUCK HILLARY KNOWS HOW UNDERHANDED THESE GUYS CAN BE SHE KNOWS HOW TO FIGHT THEM SHE CAN WIN

January 27, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  21. Rosa

I am so proud of Carolie Kennedy. I always knew that there was something very special about her. To put Obama on the same level as her father (JFK), is not about the color of his skin, but the contents of his character as well as who could lead this county better. Billary your term expired 8 years ago.

OBAMA!!!!! 2008

January 27, 2008 08:48 am at 8:48 am |
  22. Mindy

With all respect to those who reply that "Obama is no Kennedy" – somehow I feel that Caroline knows better than anyone who her father was.

Congratulations Obama and thank you Caroline!

January 27, 2008 08:52 am at 8:52 am |
  23. Dumb Americans

Another worthless endorsement – if people are dumb enough to vote on the basis of what someone else tells them to do they don't deserve the vote.

January 27, 2008 08:56 am at 8:56 am |
  24. Renee Jackson Las Vegas NV

Caroline Kennedy endorsing Obama ...How Wonderful is that!!!!!!
    After reading these emails it gives me So much hope that the people of America
    TRULY want a Change!
    Obama may not have as much experience, but he has a Vision to Unite Us, and he may very well be the vehicle we need that to make that happen! He will have the support of so many great minds in this Country.
    So don't worry Clinton supporters we Do have a plan!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 08:57 am at 8:57 am |
  25. The Observer

"kathy1111 January 26, 2008 9:09 pm ET

I remember JFK. Obama had reminded me of him, too.2

Obama is no JFK.

Obama couldn't even lace up JFK's shoelaces.

January 27, 2008 08:58 am at 8:58 am |