January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Maryln Pettit

I would not vote for Hillary Clinton if she was the only Democrat running for President. She and Bill need to leave town! Obama may not be everything and have all the experience but we do need someone to get us past the war and back to taking care of the domestic issues here in America.

January 27, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. Independent

This is one endorsement the Clintons would have loved to get. This endorsement speaks volume - especially because it did not go to the Clintons. I am not old enough to have known JFK, but if the one person who must admire him the most tells me Obama reminds her of her father - for patriotic, political, and personal reasons - then Obama must really be something. Her endorsement speaks volumes and should get people to at least take a second look at Obama.

January 27, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Independent

I wonder if the only reason Al Gore has not endorsed Obama is fear of the Clintons.

January 27, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. Josh

I think this campaign has been a tremendous wake up call to the Democratic party. Now that Bill-ary is running again for the White House, and has serious competition for the Democratic nomination, the Democratic party gets to see their full fledged Dirty Political Trickery Bible in action...only this time it's against a fellow Democrat, and a better candidate at that. The funny thing is no one would mind this kind of attack dog politics against the Republican nominee, but now that it's aimed at a Democrat we get to see and understand it for what it truly is... the OLD guard way of running a smear campaign, and the country is fed up with it. The Republicans have Karl Rove and the Democrats have the Clintons... thankfully enough we have OBAMA to rise above the slash and burn, waving a banner of HOPE and CHANGE that actually means something other than the Status Quo divisive politics that the Clintons know so much about...

OBAMA 08

January 27, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. veronica lynne

The exit polls showed that 150,000 additional blacks registered to vote in S.C. since the Iowa caucus. It looks like a big win because of heavy black support to all of the people I know. As far as Caroline, she has a right to her opinion. She's far to the left, so I'm not surprised at all by her choice.
    Obama is all talk, no action, and I have not been blinded by his "soaring" rhetoric. He won't win the nomination, as we'll see on Feb. 5.

January 27, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. joe

TODAY THERE IS AN ARTICLE TITLED "MARGINALIZING OBAMA"

TWO QUOTES FROM THE ARTICLE:

"HOWEVER, IT WAS OBAMA'S CAMPAIGN THAT CHOSE TO CHARACTIZE THIS AS A RACE BASE ATTACK"

"BUT BIGGEST OFFENDER, FAR MORE THAN CLINTON OR OBAMA CAMPAIGNS, HAS BEEN THE MEDIA ITSELF"

SHAME ON CNN/OBAMA NETWORK

January 27, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  7. ZH

Hillary's exprerience at '90. OMG!!! that imbalanced dot com and stock boom! that's the worst time in US economy....clinton made the economy a big baloon... it is about to popo up now becuase of that. people cannot maintain the same lifestyle by making a lot more than what they were making 15 years ago...this is not what is called sustainable development....We DONOt WANT THIS SORTS of ECONOMY....We need strong anti-immigration candidate, which is what I still am looking for...The illeterate hispanics are given too much power and have now become a deciding factor in the presidential/senate runs..

January 27, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  8. Jack

The smartest – by far – of the entire Kennedy clan.

January 27, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  9. Christine, VA

I, too, feel that Sen. Obama will inspire Americans, so that we can unite as a strong country once again. Together, we can make changes that will restore America. Sen. Clinton is too divisive and will tear this nation apart. Americans are intelligent and good people, and they know and want what is best for their country. That is why we have to support Sen. Obama.

January 27, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  10. Susan

OBAMA- Great Orator, Says All The Right Words to Stir The People. Beyond that, what??? Sorry, I'll take experience any day to run this country, not a bunch of pretty words all wrapped up in a preacher's cadence.

January 27, 2008 09:58 am at 9:58 am |
  11. Van

With Obama the dream that began 48 years ago with JFK and RFK is renewed.

January 27, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  12. Anon I Must

It doesn't take Shakespearean hubris to discount the opinion of a poster who writes of the Clintons: "They have Shakespearian "Humbris."

January 27, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  13. Joe

Ted Kennedy's endorsement is still missing.

January 27, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  14. jyfranca

Somehow am convinced obama may do something in this election i underestimated him a lot i think its the huge victory.I pray that hillary wins because i want her to be defeated heavily by McCain.but if its Obama i think it will be close election

January 27, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  15. Jeff Spangler, Arlington, VA

JFK was the last President I really felt good about. Obama is no JFK. He has been successfully marginalized by the criminal Clintons as the black candidate, and cannot win the general. If you ask what you can do for your country, you can support and vote for an electable Democrat, not Obama (or Hillary)

January 27, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  16. Ruth

Big money control this country anyway. It is not surprising that they would indorse a yes man so they can control him. Obama thinks that Senate bill 1959 is what this country needs right now. So if you disagree with his administration you may want to pack your bag and move now while the gettins good. If you vote for him you might as well kiss the constitution, 5th amendment, your freedom goodbye.

January 27, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  17. Janine

Thank you, Caroline. Obama, like JFK, appeals to best of all of us in the US. Clinton ignores the power of the people. Obama will bring hope to every street in America. He will inspire the young people in a country that was quickly becoming disallusioned. I think Clinton is smart, but she is not the person that America needs right now. Obama is, and I am so proud to be able to vote for such an amazing candidate.

January 27, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  18. Dick Marti

How is Caroline Kennedy's opinion newsworthy? How is her opinion or preference worth more than anybody else's?

January 27, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  19. barbl

My thanks to Caroline!

Hillary and Bill Clinton are underhanded, sleazy, and will do anything to win and I mean ANYTHING! They are the George Bush/Karl Rove of politics. I have had enough of all four of them.

John McCain will be the same as reelecting George Bush. God knows the country has had enough of Bush and his I am God attitude!!!

I want a president who will reunite this country, we have had enough of republican devisiveness and stupidity. Yes that means you bible thumpers too.

BARACK win it all and throw the bums out.

January 27, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  20. George Wu, A.I.A.

Her courage made me to have tears in my eyes! dancewu(dot)net

January 27, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  21. Jeff from Jersey

Good news for John McCain:We've NEVER voted for a republican before in our entire lives but if this con artist Obama is the democratic candidate we'll certainly be voting republican,war or no war.Obama is a phony and a fraud and will spell disaster for our country.Goodby democrats,hello republicans!

January 27, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  22. alex

obama the presindent, clintons goodbye for ever and ever!

January 27, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  23. benvictor

You leave us hanging high and dry with this story. So what? Rambo endorsing John is at least contemporary and exciting. Rambo and Chuck Norris facing down each other is an exciting possibility. With a woman running for President, isn't the real story here why does she do this? Get that story and you will have a story.

January 27, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  24. Mimi

Barack Obama offers promise of better lives for all Americans, but also has an experience and heritage that provides a worldview that will be important to American and International politics. I appreciate his intellect and character, and know that he will be an excellent president. I cannot wait to celebrate his election and look forward to his Inauguration next year!

January 27, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  25. KB26

I would like welcome South Carolina back into the Union. Love Caroline. Love Obama. Three cheers for U.S.A.

January 27, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |