January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Liam

If Hillary had won in South Carolina, and she tried like hell to do so, both her and her husband, "The First Black President" would have being crowing about it, and so would you.

They tried to win it, and Senator Obama just wiped the floor with both Hillary and Bimbo Bill.

Senator Obama more than doubled the vote count for Hillary, so she should now withdraw and throw her support behind Senator Obama, for the sake of party unity.

When you get slaughtered in a Democratic contest, how the hell can you still pretend that you can beat a Republican!

Time for Hillary to do the right thing, and withdraw. We need a new leader, not the same old warmed over Clinton pretzel morality.

January 27, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  2. Gary Falkenstern

It is not critical to any candidate what famous politician or individual gives them their support. It is important that individuals [voters] let their preferences be known by going out and voting for the person of their choice. It is our choice individually, but the nations choice collectively. No disrespect to Caroline Kennedy is intended I was a great believer in not only her father but her entire family and the causes they stood for.

January 27, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  3. George Wu, A.I.A.

With her support, the United States of America will probably delay the influence from the Jews four more years. And the American soldiers will not fight the wars for the Jews in the mid east any more! dancewu(dot)net

January 27, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  4. felix

I am so glad for what Is going on. Barack Obama is the right person to change the USA. This has nothing to do with race, experience. I deeply think that every generation must support this issue and that's a great change.

January 27, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  5. Paula

I am so pleased about this. Caroline is such a bright light and has a brilliant mind .Caroline has her Uncle Bobby's dedication to justice and equal rights.
    I am thrilled !!Obama is a fine and good man. I pray he goes on to win this race for the American clock is ticking and good men like Omama are becoming harder and harder to find. God Speed Barack.

January 27, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  6. Usiohen Osayo

I have posted a similar message that Mr. Charles ROBINSON just wrote. I live in Germany and I am black and married with a white and we both have kids. Between us there are no racial issues. I am deeply appalled at this deep rooted racial sickness that makes people to misunderstand or misuse a simple knowledge, that children of Black and White or White and Black cannot simply be White or BLACK, as it is in most cases. It is an intentional misinterpretation based on racial biases. It is the same reason why many people are afraid to embrace changes. I am not an American. I am an African. I have never paid so much attention to the Elections in the US as I am doing today. In the past, I have never been comfortable with the likes of Rev. Jesse Jacksons. They may be fighting for the good of the Blacks, but I tend to lean towards the likes of Martin Luther King’s, Gandhi’s etc, who preferred more intellectual. And less violence means.
    It is better to correct this aberration now, rather than later. Or else, that would be seen as a real hypocrisy if by chance or purpose Barrack becomes the President of America and someone say: wait a minute, this guy is not black after all, and he has a WHITE Mother! Just embrace the fact. He is an American, period.
    I am not recommending any particular candidate for the Americans. But as an outsider knowing a bit about how the USA is been viewed, a change would be good for home and abroad.

January 27, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. David

Hurray – this needs more attention. Why no talk on the news? I watch CNN constantly and never heard of this endorsement.

What do we hear? Constant chatter about Barack being black. As a white man I am deeply offended by the time the media is giving this subject. WHO CARES? Why is the news media making this such an issue. The news media should be ashamed. As if it makes one ounce of difference whether Barack is Black, Asian or any other race. The point is he is brilliant and a much needed breath of fresh air in the disgusting US political system.

GO BARACK!!

January 27, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. Jen

GO OBAMA~!!!

January 27, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  9. Paula

I am thrilled !!Obama is a fine and good man. I pray he goes on to win this race for the American clock is ticking and good men like Obama are becoming harder and harder to find. God Speed Barack.

January 27, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  10. Kim, Dallas, TX

Caroline Kennedy has always been a very reserved person, rarely making any political stand. With her endorsing Obama it says so much. I don't think it will necessarily change people's minds, but it does go to show that many see Obama as the inspiration that he is. He can take us in a new direction and not stay with the status quo. Thank you Caroline for your good judgment and willingness to share your thoughts with our nation. We need those who care and are willing to make changes that are needed.

January 27, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  11. Chucky

This is a great victory for Obama!!!! I think Bill Clinton did a great job when he was in the White House but this race for presidency has nothing really to do with him this is Hillary's fight, his involvement should be miminal, but it isn't anymore. He brought 'RACE' into this campaign which I thought was not an issue. Bill is hurting Hillary or do they have a two-fold thing going on here? Which is to try and destroy Obama on any level possible? We should take a deeper look @ the Clinton's motivates?

January 27, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  12. Bob

Not one article on the front of CNN's web page on Republicans. What a biased news service!

January 27, 2008 10:31 am at 10:31 am |
  13. Ruthie

This country is run by big money anyway. It is not surprising that the Kennedys are endorsing a YES man so they can control him.

Senator Obama supports senate bill 1959. If you are not familiar with this bill, please read it. If this man gets elected and you happen to disagree with his administration you may want to pack your bags and move out of this country while the gettins good.

January 27, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. Susan

Caroline..any chance you would be interested in Hillary's seat in the Senate..we are hoping it will be vacant soon and Mrs. Clinton will retire to Arkansas where she belongs.

January 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  15. Zach

Obama reminds me of jfk...orator and brillant ideas. Thank you Caroline Kennedy.

January 27, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  16. F. in Los Gatos, CA

Caroline took the words right out of my mouth! I, too, have been so inspired by Barack Obama. My gut feeling is he will bring the change we need in this country the way JFK did. Thank you, Caroline!

January 27, 2008 10:39 am at 10:39 am |
  17. CM

HE HE HE. The kid was six years old when her died. Comparing Obama with her Father is a "Fairy Tale"

January 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  18. F. in Los Gatos, CA

January 27, 2008 10:40 am at 10:40 am |
  19. RICARDO PHILLIPS

WOULD COLIN POWELL BE INTERESTED IN BEING PART OF CHANGE AND BECOME PART OF THE OBAMA CABINET?

January 27, 2008 10:41 am at 10:41 am |
  20. Raymond

It is a positive endorsement, we should be aware that in the end the electoral college will make the call. Who ever comes into office is going to have a big mess to to deal with.

January 27, 2008 10:42 am at 10:42 am |
  21. Verneka

A CHANGE IN HISTORY IS IN THE MAKING! I'VE SAID IT BEFORE AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN: BILL AND HILLARY SHOULD STEP ASIDE AND LET THIS COUNTRY BE THE BEST THAT IT CAN BE. BY THE WAY CHARLES ROBINSON, HE IS OF THE RACE OF HIS FATHER AND IT SHOULD NOT EVEN BE CONSIDERED IN A COUNTRY THAT HAS STRUGGLED WITH RACE RELATIONS FAR TOO LONG. AFTER ALL, UNITY CONSIST OF ALL RACES ,CREED, AND COLORS.

January 27, 2008 10:43 am at 10:43 am |
  22. Eamon

I hope Obama understandsthat the futureof his race hinges on his winning against a very committed GOP. A loss in a general election would make it virtually impossible for another black man or woman to attempt to run again. This also goes for Hillary as well. And for women of all races.

January 27, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  23. BB in LG, CA

Hey Jodie Linville,
    If you're a "Hilary" supporter, you should learn how to spell her name!!!

Obama in '08

January 27, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  24. John L in Charlotte NC

The choice for Caroline as it is for me is obvious. Obama calls Americans to its highest ideals and has what it takes to inspire us to be more and to do more.

If you like having a divided country, where half the country or better hates our president, like the politics of division and pragmatism, if you like Bill's new role as Hatchet man/spin doctor vote for Hillary. If you are ready for a president America can be proud of at home and around the world vote Obama in 2008.

YES WE CAN!
    Obama '08

January 27, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  25. paula monroe nc

Thank You Caroline! Obama reminds me of JFK also. What a lot of people are not understanding is that we ALL have to change-not just our government. Obama is the inspiration, the shot in the arm which will energize apathetic, beaten-down Americans.
    I received one of those scary messages about Obama being Muslim-it was funny but kind of creepy to know how low people will stoop to keep a "black" man from the presidency.

January 27, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |