January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Matt

A president like her father? You mean a philanderer?

January 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  2. EEason

Thank you Caroline Kennedy. I was a Republican. I now will endorse Obama. I rememberl.

January 26, 2008 09:13 pm at 9:13 pm |
  3. Andrew Lee

Usually endorsements do not mean a great deal but this one does. Caroline Kennedy does not usually get involved in primary politics and for her to take that step now says something about how important this race is and how Obama can, and will, unite the American people. I was a long time Clinton supporter, vote for him both time and for her both times. After the way they have distorted the truth about Obama there is no way I can vote for her again. Caroline is right - we need change, we need inspiration, we need integrity.

January 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  4. Lynn in St. Louis

Yes, John F. Kennedy was an inspirational president and while I was too young to vote for him, I remember the day he was shot (I was a Junior in high school) and how devastated the country was at this time.

Life was much different in the 60s. We became much more skeptical since then and politicians were put under the microscope. This would definitely have affected our feelings about JFK if we knew then, what we know now.

Inspiration is wonderful, but where does that leave us. I'm pretty inspired as a female, that a female finally has a shot at making it to the White House as the President and NOT the First Lady.

January 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  5. christine malloy

Look what someone who "inspired "us in 2000 and had no experience did to the country. The press is far to easy in their love affair with Obama as Carl Bernstein mentioned sometime today. They have not scrutinized this man. Yet they play every negative about Hillary & Bill they can find & totally ignore John Edwards. We had peace, prosperity & jobs when Bill was President. Caroline, Obama is no John Fitzgerald Kennnedy, nor does he have the charisma,or experience that your father had when he took office. You were 3 at that time, or somewhere in that age group I think. I was 20. I remember your father & mother well. Obama is not your father!!!!! Nor is his wife Jacqueline!!!! Chris M

January 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. Terri Gilmanton NH

I have the greatest admiration for Caroline but I felt the great inspiration she talks about now when her uncle Senator Edward Kennedy ran in 1980. H e inspired us and the world would be very different now had he been elected. We are all Democrats and I heartily and enthusiastically support Senator Hillary Clinton--she has inspired in a way I did think could happen since the 1980 campaign.

January 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  7. Meg

Kennedy was NOT elected in a landslide vote, though. He got more electoral votes but fewer popular votes. There are still those who believe the first Mayor Daley in Chicago carried Chicago for Kennedy, which was enough for him to carry Illinois, which was enough to carry the electoral college. Gore was CERTAINLY not the first candidate to be in that situation!

January 26, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  8. Obama likes square dancing

Kathy

First off, Senator Kennedy was a war hero, then was in senate for 14 years, and then barely beat Richard Nixon.

I think its great that Caroline supports Senator Obama. Congratulations.

January 26, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  9. Frankie

A person as Obama i admire really, because this country is not delivering a canditate from that caliber every elections time. we should embrace him.
    Obama be yourself , and keep going with the great things that you want
    to do for us and this country.

January 26, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  10. Shanda

I really believe that Obama is not experienced enough for the position.

January 26, 2008 09:15 pm at 9:15 pm |
  11. Claude

The Kennedy name is well respected and it take guts to stand up for what you believe. This has to be the most beautiful quality of a women like Caroline. To get up and feel something powerful and tell the world that she see something great in Obama is wonderful. Cudos to Caroline !!!!

January 26, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  12. max mills

I think this endorsement is critical. Caroline grew to know her father through the tutelage of her mother, Jackie. Jackie O, as we will forever remember her, loved her husband dearly and raised her children in his spirit. Caroline is constantly and consistently approached by hundreds of people with memories of her father. As her endorsement indicates, she herself hasn't been so lucky to have that type of leader until now.

Obama isn't Kennedy, he is Obama. His leadership is what this nation has been yearning for over the last 20 some odd years. Just as Kennedy's leadership was yearned for since the Roosevelt days when Kennedy came along. Obama understands and offers what WE as a UNITED Nation need: common sense, honesty, integrity, and most of all LEADERSHIP.

He's the only candidate I see who will understand and fix domestic issues but still have an Extreme impact on international issues.

January 26, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  13. Matt

He deserves it and he has the potential to be like Kennedy, minus the Bay of Pigs stuff?!?

January 26, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  14. Finally!

Someone finally gets it!

January 26, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  15. Lori

Caroline Kennedy is a thoughtful, intelligent woman, and I think her endorsement speaks volumes.

JFK won in one of the closest elections in American history (until the 2000 debacle!)

Let's hope it won't be so close this year!!

Go Obama!

January 26, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  16. Lynn in St. Louis

In addition, Papa Kennedy, JFK's dad, was not the most ethical person in life. He knew he wanted one of his son's to be President and he did his darndest to make it happen. The "young pups" should read some of this history.

January 26, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  17. obama rocks

You are correct he is no Kennedy he is better then Kennedy. He actually does care about "ALL" people. Maybe if JFK spent last time sleeping around on his wife he could have been better.

January 26, 2008 09:17 pm at 9:17 pm |
  18. ak

Caroline Kennedy.. Well put...
    Its time to get our country back. Lobbyists have controlled this country for long enough. Obama has my vote.

January 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  19. pat

I'm shocked and saddened. As a southerner now living in Illinois, I understand why Obama won tonight. But I am appalled by CNN and its treatment of both the Edwards and Clinton campaigns versus the Obama campaign. And I am deeply saddened by Caroline Kennedy's statements tonight. Too bad. I love the excitement around this year's campaign. I have a son who is voting for the first time this year, and he is actively involved. But I am deeply disturbed by the free ride I see Obama getting this year. People, we are electing a president who will have to face much opposition for the next four years. We must elect someone who truly has wisdom and judgment. Oh, please be careful. It is so easy to elect someone who has no experience because he/she seems to be "clean." But being "clean" doesn't equate with no experience. It equates with standing for something and having dirt thrown at you and continuing to stand up. Too bad. Life is hard. And hope comes hard. Respect has to be won. I watch Bill Clinton taking the knocks for Hillary, and I respect that. Remember that the 8 years of his presidency gave us peace and unparalleled prosperity. He's not being stupid. He's sacrificing himself. I'm neither a Hillary or Obama supporter. But I do understand that hope needs to be supported by trust.

January 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  20. Charlotte

I do remember President John F. Kennedy and he inspired a generation who still mourns his loss, and the loss of Bobby Kennedy. Senator Obama instills the same sense of hope and inspiration for a better country.

January 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  21. Kat

I CAN BELIEVE IT. The Clinton's veiled statements about race (the latest being Bill's comment about Jesse Jackson winning South Carolina) are an absolute disgrace.

January 26, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |
  22. Ben

I think people are being a little naive. When will CNN start asking what "change" Obama intends to bring? All this "big picture" stuff reminds me of Bush back in 2000. Don't get me wrong, I don't think Obama is Bush... I just think he's feeding everyone a bunch of feel good talk without any details. As I listen to his speech tonight, I hear this talk of "coming together"... I don't think coming together is what's wrong with the country... We're together enough. We need some "REAL" details on how's he's going to fix education, the economy, foreign policy..... WHEN WILL SOMEONE START ASKING HIM???? I hear it from the Clinton's over and over and we've seen them lead with success in he 90's.

Ben – MO (from the Show-Me State... Show Me!!!!! I'm sick of hearing the 30,000 foot view!!)

January 26, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  23. Nikki Dai

Obama is racking up the quality endorsements and wide array of endorsements. It speaks to his character, ability to unite and leadership. Obama 2008!

January 26, 2008 09:19 pm at 9:19 pm |
  24. WW - New York

Thank you Caroline Kennedy! You have been in a good light and I'm glad your standing behind a good man!

January 26, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |
  25. Anonymous

The only question that I have is, why it is acceptable for Obama's wife and Edward's wife to compaign for their husbands and not acceptable for Bill Clinton

January 26, 2008 09:20 pm at 9:20 pm |