January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. ken

I hope Carolyn Kennedy is able to call upon her father's spirit to help Obama when the first attack on our soil happens and Obama has no clue how to protect us. We need experience and guts, not the charm of JFK in this dangerous world.

January 27, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  2. Jackson

The Rev. Jesse Jackson won in SC too. Caroline Kennedy's endorsement is nice ... but Robert Kennedy, Jr. endorsed Hillary ... so they each have a Kennedy endorsement. Let's see who gets the next one!

January 27, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  3. Paul

I think the best bet at this hour is Al Gore, he should be compelled to get into the race otherwise he will regret his indecision if the republican get the next President.
    Come on Mr. Gore, there has never been a great opportunity like this moment.
    Come on America, Call Mr. Gore to enter.

January 27, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  4. Show me, too!

I agree with Ben's comments. What changes will Obama make if elected? Be specific, Obama. The press has continued to treat Obama with kid gloves throughout this campaign. I am a Democrat, but if Obama wins the nomination, I'm voting for McCain. Obama is not ready to be the Leader of the Free World. His time may come, but it isn't now.

January 27, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  5. J. Dean, Juno Beach, FLORIDA

BRAVO CAROLINE KENNEDY. THIS COUNTRY NEEDS A CHANGE. A CHANGE FOR A DYNAMIC FUTURE FOR OLD AND YOUNG AMERICANS. WE DON'T NEED A CLONED PRESIDENT LIKE GEORGE BUSH.
    A REPUBLICAN FROM FRORIDA.

January 27, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  6. Starbuck

Caroline Kennedy certainly understands the Kennedy legacy. Her endorsement of Barack Obama is undeniably informed and informative. Thank you Caroline!

Yes We Can ! Obama 08

January 27, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  7. LC

SENATOR Clinton has more experience behind her than 8 years as a first lady. The experience with her husband in the White House would enable her to hit the ground running, knowing what needs to be in place to start making things happen. Her experience as a senator, a woman, a mother, a champion for the health, safety and education of children...that's why I want the opportunity to cast my vote in November for Hillary Clinton.

January 27, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  8. chris

It's really a sad story that the only reason why Obama won so clearly, was his "race and change" campain. Nowadays, it seems to be enough to shout "CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE" and not even explaining how his change would look like.

I'm really asking myself what does Obama stand for except wanting """change""" and being partly Afro American???

January 27, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  9. barack oprah

Obama repeats "CHANGE" again and again.
    Now, He got support from Caroline KENNEDY.
    Is it good for him? KENNEDY is about 60's.
    I have no problems about 60's or KENNEDIES.
    But what "CHANGE" really mean?
    "CHANGE" means back to 60'S?????????
    Or "CHANGE" doesn't mean "CHANGE" at all?
    There are two kinds of "CHANGE"
    GOOD and BAD.
    So, I pick OPRAH over OBAMA.

January 27, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  10. RealityKing

Kennedy turned his back on the 1500 Cuba fighters he sent into the Bay of Pigs. His legacy is giving Castro a fairtale life off the backs of the Cuba people. JFK is certainly not someone I would want to be compared to..

January 27, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  11. Sandra

Way to go Caroline Kennedy.! I was 5 when President Kennedy was elected but I remember the feelings of "yes we can" that he inspired in the country. I believe that if we wish to get this country moving forward and reinstate that "yes we can" attitude then we need Obama not the tired out Clinton dirty tricks.

January 27, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  12. E. C., Houston, Texas

Caoline Kennedy plays her cards close to the vest, but NOT without a hidden Agenda.

January 27, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  13. CR from Florida

As an Independent, I have been waiting to make up my mind on the person I want to see run our Great Country. I have not just one , but two that I think could win big over Hillary... that being OBAMA for President and EDWARDS for VP. I think with the moral values and ideas of change, they could not loose.
    Thanks to both Oprah and Caroline!! !!! YOU ALL ROCK!!!

January 27, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  14. JUAN CARLOS TELLO

woman adore to be against woman in this our country?
    very soon the world will call us didived states of america..?

January 27, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  15. MythicalJack

Thank you Caroline! Thank you South Carolina! Your turn out and vote for change is an inspiration to the rest of the country.

January 27, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  16. JUAN CARLOS TELLO

caroline you have the fame and money why you never become a candidate for president?

January 27, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  17. J.C.T.

CAROLINE WHERE ARE YOU EVERY NOVEMBER 22?
    I KNOW WHERE I'M EVERY YEAR
    GIVING A PRAY FOR MY IDOL J.F.K.

January 27, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  18. Sheldon

It will have no impact on the Hillary win outcome!

January 27, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  19. shawn

Out of 4,000 votes you people want to make a issue out of 130. Well, there is only one vote that has presuaded me not to ever vote for the Clintons. That was the one Senator Clinton made to send this nation into war without even taking the time to read the intell briefings. It was pure political because at the time it would make her look Presidential. Now thats a Fairy Tail.

January 27, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  20. J.C.T.

IS THIS FREEDOM OF EXPRESION ?
    THE MODERATOR
    DOESN'T ALOUD TO EXPRESS MY DEMOCRATICS COMMENTS?

January 27, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  21. real news

Caroline who? Who cares. Is she a political heavy weight? Does she hold elected office. She is an ordinary citizen and I find it hard to believe her endorsement got press mention. She needs to go back to the family compound and serve up some more drinks (hopefully she will have a designated driver so the family doesn't get more bad press) Please give us some real news!

January 27, 2008 11:23 am at 11:23 am |
  22. yvonne

CNN you did not print my comments for the public to see, but is OK.

January 27, 2008 11:26 am at 11:26 am |
  23. E

Obama is not JFK, and even if he were, America of today is not America of the JFK's time. Peaple should look at who of the current candidates is ready to respond to current state of affairs in the US. That person, I believe, is Hillary Clinton

January 27, 2008 11:27 am at 11:27 am |
  24. mike

im a white male in my 50s and im a republican. but for the first time in my life im willing to vote for someone outside my party im goingto vote for " obama" and i thank you so much Caroline Kennedy for endorsin this amazing poitician who inspired me and millions across the nation i hope he will get the nominee and go all the way to the whit house.... GO OBAMA

January 27, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  25. Tim, Seattle

Vananathan wrote: !***A president with no experiance will be heavilly depending on OTHERS!!!!****

Yes, how refreshing it will be for President Barack Obama to actually listen and consider the points of view of other people and countries. Maybe even from someone outside his own party. Thats change over the unilateral governing style of the GOP Bush Administration.

January 27, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |