January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. wanneh

I am voting for Obama, we need change in this country, and be respected around the world again. Shame on those who don't want change. It was a sweet win in SC – they have shown the media, the world that we as an American can come together. Thank you Caroline we love you.

Alright Obama! 08

January 27, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  2. yvonne

It is funny Caroline talk about Obama being the future, yet compare him to someone from the past.

January 27, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  3. thescoundrel

And other than Caroline Kennedy and those who still worship the Kennedy Camelot Myth, who really cares what she thinks? I think Obama is a decent person as politicians go. But I could care less what a Kennedy thinks about anything.

January 27, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  4. Pfunk

Attack who you want, but leave Mrs. Kennedy alone. She's endorsing a candidate that is most similar to her father who had a great vision for this nation. Its not a matter of showcasing, its a matter of seeing a vision fulfilled. So leave Caroline alone, because there is nothing wrong with looking forward!

January 27, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  5. kevin from alaska

It's one woman's perspective. Take it for what it's worth and MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

January 27, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  6. Mary (CA)

I can't wait to have a President who I can be PROUD of!!!!

Obama 08!!!!

January 27, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  7. Patty

I'm leaving the Democratic Party if this good talker looks like he is going to win.

January 27, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  8. Truethis

Heather why don't you go on Obama's website and read and learn. He's getting stronger as the day getting closer. Billary have made him stronger and hope that the country can heal without division.

January 27, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  9. George Wu, A.I.A.

When the whole nation agreed to send troops to Iraq, there were only a few who did not agreed . Obama was one of them. The others, including Hillary, I called them opportunities!
    Take a look of the map of the world, one will realized that since 1949, Isreal was surrounded by Arabs with large land with oil. It does not take imagination for any one to know that Isreal is to invade these areas In the name called " The survival of Isreal" , Israel kept on expanding, with the supply of jets, tanks from the U.S.A.
    If you were the Muslims people who lived in that part of the world, Would you put up a fight or let the foreigners took over ( in the case of Hong Kong and India 150 years ago?) So look, we live in a different world now. it is a coincidence that Hillary mentioned recently that " We have to give up the cowboy mentality now!" Or the enemy will smell the sincerity from across the ocean. dancewu(dot)net

January 27, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  10. carriejo

This country needs hope again. Obama gives this to us. We have been cheated and forgotten about for a very long time. I can't believe anyone would want Hillary in the White House. Think about it. We had Bush one and 2 and look where it got us. No do we need Clinton 1 and 2? Good Grief No! We need someone new who will think about this country and people and not the same old crap over again. so who ever you vote for think hard and long everyone. Remember Bill Clinton signed Nafta and started our people losing jobs. Bush pushed for power to the rich and I think it is time us the litte guys to push back.

January 27, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  11. John

I said before the Iowa victory that Obama was setting the agenda, His desire for change, his distancing from the Washington status quo. His vision for the future, all the candidates are now bound to these themes. He has fired up the Democratic base and the youth of America it is almost entirely down to him and the Negative effect of the Bush administration that has most importantly lifted the Democratic vote to twice that of the Republican. More Carolina voters voted for him as an individual candidate than the total Republican vote.

Senator Obama is quite clearly THE inspirational candidate and the Cintons the destructive force.

Obama for President. He will not be the First Black President, Democratic President, Independant President or Republican President. He will be the first AMERICAN president since JFK.

Obama 08

January 27, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  12. I'manurse

We need change: Yes we the people do need change for the better! JFK stepped up to the plate during the Cuban Crisis lets step back and think what would the democrates of this day and age have done? Be true to yourself your way of life depends on this decision more than most even know.

January 27, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  13. carolb

Caroline Kennedy only works on projects for her family's name. Who cares????????/

January 27, 2008 11:57 am at 11:57 am |
  14. Willa

Robert Kennedy has been in the trenches for many years fighting for our country. The only reason CK has made news is because she has made the wrong choice for all Americans. Read Maya Angelou's recent poem. You will become enlightened.

January 27, 2008 12:01 pm at 12:01 pm |
  15. Joelle, Milwaukee, WI

Caroline Kennedy's endorsement of Obama for president means that I will now have to vote for Obama – as an Independent, leaning Democrat, I find that somehow very disturbing.

The Political Affirmative Action Candidate, Mr. Obama, remains an empty suit that grabs the microphone, gazes up at the clouds, speaks to the clouds in paragraphs or books, and is never seriously questioned or made to answer about anything. It's all hope, change, hope, change, hope, change...

I HOPE that this situation will CHANGE, and the people, certainly the press, which has already anointed him, will begin to ask some SERIOUS QUESTIONS for a CHANGE!

Re: S.C. with 80% of the black vote for Obama... certainly no racial bias there.?Additionally, there are perhaps 2 or 3 other states, in the South that are very similar to S.C.; that would be Georgia, Alabama and perhaps Mississippi.

I find it very troubling that anyone can get 80% of the S.C. vote and we still have people saying, "I'm glad that America has rejected race as an issue in the election process."

Think about this: The blacks came home for OJ and the blacks are certainly comin' home for Obama...

January 27, 2008 12:02 pm at 12:02 pm |
  16. rosana

I like Obama but he is too inexperience to get our country out of Bush's mess. Please, let's not get carried away with emotions. Obama will be ready to lead in a few years. Come on America, black, white or brown, Please! we need to get it right this time around or we may never regain what we've lost during Bushe's time not to think of leading the world. We cannot effort not to put our country ahead of all our differences.please. Our country need each of us to think through and save her.

January 27, 2008 12:06 pm at 12:06 pm |
  17. forneworleans

Any of the three would be light-years better than Bu$h.

Obama is going to win it. Maybe Edwards as VP.

I'm over the Clintons at this point.

As for Obama voting "present," I'd love to see someone "present" at the helm of this listing ship of state... Bush has been AWOL since Vietnam.

January 27, 2008 12:08 pm at 12:08 pm |
  18. Keeno

Barack Obama brings hope to millions of Americans who are disenchanted with the politics of yester-year. A chance to believe in the America that once was. Obama is truely simply amazing. Way do to Caroline!

January 27, 2008 12:11 pm at 12:11 pm |
  19. Southern Gentleman

It is time for the country to recognize that people in the south have the ability to make rational, intelligent decisions when voting for political candidates. Mr. Obama believes in the progression of "our" nation with a vision of a trully united country. I believe the "American dream" is about more than a home or piece of property. It is a unified vison of people persuing happiness unrestricted by bias...

Obama! 08

January 27, 2008 12:14 pm at 12:14 pm |
  20. Renee

Thank- you Caroline Kennedy for your endorsedment Barack Obama you recognize the values that your father had is the same that Barack Obama have in his heart. People who are not understanding why your endorsedment was for Barack Obama is because they don't want change. Change is hard. I watched the Clintons's Campaign and I was taken back of the Negative gross in how they went about running thier Campaign and I was wondering what would it be like in the White House with the Clintons.

January 27, 2008 12:16 pm at 12:16 pm |
  21. Matthew Breuer

I am a 16-year old, white male, from Vermont. I was raised in a family that is quite indifferent to politics in general. But I still vividly remember the 2004 Democratic National Convention, when I saw Barack Obama speak for the first time, and knew that it was the start of something big.

Entrenched interests and divisive politics need to come to a close in Washington. We've seen how the candidates act when they're down. One responds by enforcing his message, never wavering from the promises he made the day he announced his run for office. The other ignores and distorts, lies and cries, and divides a Democratic electorate that desperately needs to stand together if they want any chance of winning come November.

For the sake of people like me who can't vote, please elect Barack Obama.

January 27, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  22. Anti Clintons

Oh yes CNN will let you blog this, but not about Cheney's daughter support for Romney, just the typical lib loving losers that they are.

January 27, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  23. Viki

Robert F Kennedy Junior has endorsed Hillary Clinton.
    Obama is no JFK.
    I vote Hillary because against all of this negativity she still stands.
    Hillary 2008!

January 27, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  24. Barbara (Kansas City, MO)

I am an enthusiastic supporter of Senator Obama and therefore, ... glad for his win in South Carolina yesterday, ... and especially pleased to see Caroline Kennedy endorse him!

I truly believe he is not only the best Democrat, but the best of all candidates, based on his Leadership skills and Spirit of Hope (and it gets me excited!!!)

Another note: Up until about a week ago, I was always telling people if Obama didn't get the nomination, I would support Clinton. But after I witnessed her mean-spirited and disingenuous campaign lately, I am so upset with her (and former President Bill Clinton), ... that not only will I not support her, but I will actively campaign against her! I think Obama said it best last night, ... "let's not return to the past, let's march on toward the future"

Let's get excited about America again, ...
    Let's give Hope and True Change a Chance!
    Go Obama Go!

January 27, 2008 12:17 pm at 12:17 pm |
  25. John

It's my understanding (from some sources) that U.S Sen. Ted Kennedy will soon be endorsing Sen. Obama too. That clearly would be a huge endorsement.
    John