January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Bobby

In the beggining I was extremly moved by Obama, felt the excitment like no other canadate since JFK and RFK. As the debates on both sides progressed it became very evident to me clearly Hillary was more qulified to lead without a doubt on both sides of the aisle. However there are many in this Country of ours that will not allow themselfs to see past the rove politics and and make a decision based on what is right ,alot of people just love to hate her, that is very sad indeed. But I cannot deny that Obama has once again sparked my intrest and I do believe he can draw the independants and Reagan dems back to the party of the people. I do believe Obama can ditto JFK's platform a consertive democrate who is strong on defense, the gold standard, cutting taxes yes cutting taxes this was not a republican adgenda Reagon stold his entire platform from kennedy and todays dems let them get away with this nonsense . After what this Republican adminstration and Congress did over the past 7 years is unacceptable . I will never support another Republican for a long while if ever. America needs to wake up, educated Republicans fall prey to the hype from fox please do the math, Have tax breakes from corporations and the wealthy really brought new jobs to America , think about it , they have made record profits at our expense, China and India this is the Republican economy short term profits while we become a third world ...fast How can no Republican dissagree with Bush its unbelievable only Ron Paul does but again he has no support from the wise American electorate, does not make sense to me. So I will now Support Obama and I do appreciate Carolines decision. Good luck America we need a Leader of the whole Country and at this point it seems only Obama can do it.

January 27, 2008 12:56 pm at 12:56 pm |
  2. Ginny CA

To CNN Moderator: Wow! Talk about the Bushies cherry-picking pre-war intelligence. you guys beat all for cherry-picking messages to post. So many writers are upset because their messages disappear off the screen if they don't support CNN's positions and views. Where is the decent message I posted last night at 10:32? It was well-written and not inflammatory, but showed a different viewpoint from messages you posted before and since.

I wonder if CNN will even post this message.

January 27, 2008 12:59 pm at 12:59 pm |
  3. MKB

THANK YOU CAROLINE!

P.S. The new name for Bill and Hillary is "BILLARY'! Bill Clinton is running for his third term!

OBAMA 08

January 27, 2008 01:07 pm at 1:07 pm |
  4. Jr., California

I heard Hillary speaking at a church in Memphis today. Boy, is she starting to sound like Obama. I'm starting to feel sorry for her. Bill, may have ruined her chances. Poor girl.

January 27, 2008 01:10 pm at 1:10 pm |
  5. Obama Girl #1

Great News Obama is proving he has all the potential
    to be a great president like J.F.K. who will unite America. Thank you Caroline
    Kennedy your complete article in the New York Times was inspiring.
    WE are fired up and ready to GO !
    OBAMA'08 !

January 27, 2008 01:12 pm at 1:12 pm |
  6. Duncan, Richmond, VA

Change change change? People are so ignorant and gullible. What change? HOW????? Where is the details? who will pay?? HOW???? Will he get rid of big corporations buying into The Congress? No!!.. so where is the big change? Will he get rid of lobbyists? NO!! .. Obama is no different than the others.. wake up people!!! I can not believe how totally stupid people are to fall for this same crap.

You think that ANY candidate can get ANY universal health care plan through Congress??? NO!! Admit it people, most of you WANT the US to become a socialized country. It is obvious from the endless posting about wanting the government to do everything for you..

Yet another posting for CNN to censor..

January 27, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  7. cathy

I am the same age as Caroline Kennedy and I have not EVER voted for a candidate I felt good about. I have always voted for the lesser of 2 evils. I finally feel excited about a candidate, like my mother was about JFK. I could care less what his color is, what his middle name is or what the double teaming nastiness of the Clintons say. I feel hopeful when I hear Barak. I feel that change is possible. I feel that America can once again be great. Thank you CNN for being the ONLY major news outlet to mention this endorsement. To those of you who can't believe it, read Caroline's piece.

January 27, 2008 01:14 pm at 1:14 pm |
  8. Jim Beans

Im waiting for Dick Cheney to endorse Obama since he is a blood relative.

January 27, 2008 01:15 pm at 1:15 pm |
  9. DAVE

I THINK ITS A GOOD THING THAT OUR U.S.A. CAN SEE A DIFFIRENT IMAGE OF US AS A RACE, GIVE PEOLE SOMETRHING DIRRIRENT TO SEE OUTSIDE OF THE NEGATIVE STERO TYPE THAT HAS HENDER US FOR YEARS. THAT IS OF US BEING THUGS, ONLY CONCEREBED ABOUT DUMB LOOKING CAR AND DRUGS OR HOES LIVING FOR THE MOMENT. WILL HE WIN I DON'T KNOW BUT HISTORY SURE HAS BEEN MADE THATS FOR SURE, THANKS AMERICA FOR GIVING US AS A RACE OF BLACK PEOPLE A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!! "GOD BLESS AMERICA AND EVERYONE IN IT"

January 27, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  10. JA

I like Caroline but I agree with a prevous comment that OBAMA being PRESENT and not voting is not enough for me. I need a president that will make a decision and follow thru not one that is just PRESENT and does not vote.
    I have been a democat my whole life but I sure wish an independant would get in as not one of the democrats or republicans will be getting my vote.
    COME ON BLOOMBERG WHERE ARE YOU.

January 27, 2008 01:16 pm at 1:16 pm |
  11. Independent in IA

Now that Ted Kennedy has decided to 'bestow his blessing' on Baraka Obuma, it makes it even MORE clear that this is NOT the person to be managing the affairs of this nation. I've got to think there were a couple of juicy 'back-room' deals made for this endorsement.

January 27, 2008 01:19 pm at 1:19 pm |
  12. Craig E.

Obama needs to stay out of the mud. This next week is going to be very intense. Hillary and Bill are going to continually attempt to bait him into a mud slinging contest. He needs to avoid this at all costs. If he does, the stands a much better chance of making a huge impact on February 5th.

The behavior of President Clinton over the last two weeks has really disappointed me. I am losing respect for a man I once defended (against all logic) during the 1990s. It seems that much of what the Republicans have said about the Clintons was right afterall. I'm very saddened by this.

I am beginning to believe that Obama will indeed be our next President.

January 27, 2008 01:20 pm at 1:20 pm |
  13. Mr Willis

You know...Hillary had her chance with health care reform....she didn't come through....it's time for a change....enough said...and if Obama doesn't come through what else is new? we've had a president in office for 8 years that has sold us all dreams......how bad can Obama be? And if he needs help in office...so what? That's what a president's cabinet is there for....to advise as needed....a change is gonna come....God bless.

January 27, 2008 01:23 pm at 1:23 pm |
  14. bill hopen

I was for the Clintons....but....Obama has become bigger, more important,

I feel a JFK- like idealism, truth, intergrety, honor in Obama. I feel ML King-like
    leadership and moral force.

Most of all, I sense history, when in our darkest moment ,after a damaging administration and a misguided leader, we see the light held by one who will guide us back to the true path of the best americ we can be.

Thankyou Thankyou Caroline Kennedy for having the courage to speak up and be counted and lead. Bless you and the memory of your father. I feel he would be most proud of you.

January 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  15. Doug

Endorsements mean nothing, except when they are incredibly well-written, inspiring, and dead-on accurate.

Hillary: She'll say anything and change nothing. It's time to turn the page.

January 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  16. Jerry

I want divulge my race but I am a 40 yr old male and I have studied and learned of great men in history I admired of various races, religions, and idealalogies, like;
    Dale Carnegie, Thurgood Marshall, Ghandi, Martin L. King, Oscar Wilde, Baynard Rustkin, Pres. John F. Kennedy, Malcolm X and many other past and current visionaries for peace and prosperity. Caroline Kennedy's explanation and reasoning for endorsement for Barack Obama gives me a measure of hope and optimism for a better future because it truly articulates why i tto support his nomination for the presidency.

January 27, 2008 01:26 pm at 1:26 pm |
  17. bill hopen

If I might add a post script...I nominate John Edwards in the name of Bobby Kennedy
    to carry on his work as ATTORNY GENERAL under president OBAMA

January 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  18. J.C.T.

AMERICANS WOEN ONLY KNOWS HOW TO LIVE EXPENDING THE MONEY OF THEIR PARENTS!...
    CAROLINE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR OUR COUNTRY?

January 27, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  19. selina

hmm..well i for one do not agree with Obama..he has no experience..i'm a 20 year old woman and do not believe that someone with no experience will be good for America...my husband is in Iraq and i personally think we need a person with leadership and that will bring these troops home and HE IS NOT the person that can do it...Hillary and Edwards all the way...they would make an amazing White House team...come on America vote for YOU..not for for who Oprah Winfrey is backing....

January 27, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  20. Cable King Pittsburgh PA

This a very powerful endorsement in terms of maybe uniting the Dems.

Hillary still strong with Latinos – don't count her out or underestimate
    Billy C's political acumen.

January 27, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  21. Rodney

I was really hoping that Hillary could get the Kennedy endorsement but guess not. I think the Kennedy's usually follow Ted Kennedy's lead but they do tend to be independent at times. The Kennedy's huge dynasty that have been known to split their vote and I think Hillary has Robert Kennedy Jr endorsement hopeful others will come on board.

Thanks
    Rodney

Go Hillary

January 27, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  22. Garry

Obama is no John Kennedy or Dr. King. Hillary will still come out on top at the convention!

January 27, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  23. d

All of the Senators now will back Obama, cause they are afraid of any 'racial' basis.

January 27, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  24. Reagan and Bush 4 life

It's unbelievable the way this country it's so desperate to change. I think Reagan did that in the 80's and Kennedy in the 60's, now it's the turn for OBAMA, he shouldn't be ashamed of liking president Reagan, inflation, security, cold war, interest rates, peace, all those things we need to appreciate from the Reagan years. Even that I like Reagan and Bush, I believe it's time for new ideas and a fresh good looking face in the white house. I can't wait to see a match up OBAMA – Mc.Cain or OBAMA – Giulianni, Hillary could never be the president of all americans, too many people dislike her. Let's go OBAMA.

January 27, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. Don

I can respect Carolina Kennedy and she is entitled to vote for whomever she pleases. Her endorsement says little, as voters will hopefully start looking at issues and experiance over empty retoric. SC proved only that voters can be swayed by bias and unfair reporting and the real winner is the tabloid reporting of the media. Obama does not represent change, he represents retoric. Its sad, but true. In SC yesterday, we took s step back 40 years when the winner was chosen on the bases of his skin color and not on the content of his character.

January 27, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |