January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. white male

For all you haters pretending that Obama is too young or inexperienced to lead the country, i'd like to reming you that Tony Blair became the Prime Minister of the UK at the tender of age of 41... It didn,t prevent him from being one of the best PM the UK has ever had....
    It's funny how in these blogs, it's always women defending Hillary as being the most experienced. She's older not more experienced. If age is what matters, let's all go vote for John McCain!?!?

OBAMA 08

January 27, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Linda SAT

Who cares who she supports? Or Ted Kennedy. Too bad CNN wasn't around back in the 1960s to drag her father in the mud like you did to Bill Clinton.

January 27, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. I'm skipping Obama, No Thanks

Obama didn't know that his many years relationship and millions of dollars dealing with Rezko is another weathy corrupted scumbag??? And he wants to lead the Country??? I don't think soooooooooooo!!!!

Google this "Obama and Rezko" before you open your Obama mouth support again. You never look at the surface and/or take a person at face value, look at Bush!

January 27, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. Kim

Let's see who they vote for in the general election when Clinton is their nominee. Obama is a good man, but now is not his time.

January 27, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. PixelMarx

Great endorsement! To all whiners who complain they aren't getting the details of Obama's plans for change. Quit being so lazy. The level of detail you claim you want will never be featured in a stump speech. We saw in NH what happens when details about....Hillary's audience fled in droves. You can find all the details you need to make an informed decision by just visiting each of the candidates web site. However, this isn't about promises and details of action. It's about movement, change that can only come about when enough people get involved. It started in 04, then 06 and now it will be 08. Slowly we'll take back America.

January 27, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  6. Harry from Florida

Big surprise – Kerry and some of the Kennedys. I guess the liberals are signing in. Too bad they don't represent the rest of the country. I've been a registered Democrat for over 30 years but the party's liberal swing is forcing me to rethink my vote. What does it matter anyway - since the party stripped Florida of its Delegates, they've told me they don't want my vote. And they may not get it.

January 27, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  7. Marlene in NC

This year has been a first for me, the first time I've engaged in a campaign, donating money and time. Barack Obama is the catalyst and is our future.

I have spent hours volunteering in SC to do what I could to help ensure that Barack won the state primary. Our volunteers and supporters were very diverse – in age, gender, and ethnicity. We are all excited and proud of our candidate. Join us, help us get Barack Obama where he needs to be . . . where we need for him to be. Get involved!

Thank you Caroline!

January 27, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. Pat

why are you surprised obama took sc? look at the population, that's the only reason they voted for him, not for anything he can do. I'm like some of the others – he keeps saying "change" – but what change is he talking about ? Haven't heard him mention one item. Kennedy wasn't the best of the crop but obama sure doesn't rate up there with him. I would think Ted Kennedy's endorsement would hurt him rather than help him. Look at Ted's record, politically and personally. I would like to see all of you broken down by race, gender, age, location, etc. That would be real interesting.

January 27, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  9. Deleted User (California)

Caroline Kennedy, who? I was an avid fan of JFK. I knew him better than she (a toddler in the White House then) does now. Obama does not deserve to be compared to JFK. JFK had experience and outstanding performance as a US legislator. Obama has nothing to show about his US Senate performance. To all who knew JFK, the endorsement of Obama is undeserving. Hillary deserved Caroline's endorsement.
    HILLARY 2008.

January 27, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  10. veronica lynne

January 27, 2008 11:43 am ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.

The exit polls on TV last night showed that 150,000 additional blacks registered to vote in S.C. since the Iowa caucus. To everyone I know, it looks like a big win because of heavy black support.
    As far as Caroline Kennedy, she has a right to her opinion. She's far to the left, so I'm not surprised at all by her choice.
    Robert F. Kennedy , Jr. has endorsed Hillary Clinton.
    To us, Obama is all talk, no action, and we have not been blinded by his "soaring" rhetoric. We believe he won't win the nomination, and we're waiting for Feb. 5 to confirm that.

January 27, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  11. stan pitts pa

cha-ching thats the sound of me donating more to the obama campaign, no more divisive politics, and besides the republicans dont want hrc back in the white house! they wont work with her and there will be more gridlock! obama is the choice to get things done in washington again for the American people!

January 27, 2008 02:05 pm at 2:05 pm |
  12. LeftyLadig

Thank you Caroline Kennedy. I was a high school freshman when JFK ran for President and I remember well the hope for the future that he ignited all over the country. That feeling of hope is back now with Barack Obama. I can't wait to cast my vote for him on Feb 5.

GO OBAMA!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  13. Mr. T

Ted Kennedy is expected to endorse Obama. This shows clearly that the growing division within DNC between the pro Clinton side and John Kerry.

January 27, 2008 02:07 pm at 2:07 pm |
  14. stan pitts pa

obama is half white/ half-black, whites should take great pride in his presidency, he was raised almost completely by white folks!

January 27, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  15. MSW

Senator Clinton is the embodiment of ...CHANGE....a woman, whose approach to problems is quite different than the men who have been in power. Viva Mars and Venus!

January 27, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  16. Voice of Reason

How can you take seriously a Presidential Candiate that is afraid of his own middle name?

January 27, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  17. Mati

Wrong!

Hillary'08!

January 27, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  18. Pat

Dear Caroline; Your father was a GREAT PRESIDENT! It's sad that the evil forces of this country took him from all of us too young.Clearly,you see your dad in BARAK. I pray this NATION can see the same. LONG LIVE CAMELOT!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  19. Marylue McCombs

The plot thickens. It seems that the "Status Quo" is trying to worm its way into the Obama Campaign. Wonder what they want in exchange for this endorsement. Senator Obama better wake up and smell the coffee.

January 27, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  20. michael e stanford

We are all part of the system of change, but now that this change has reared its head in the direction of a new wind their are those who belive that this change will only fuel our further desire's for a world that imbodies that change. For those who have this fear i tell you this. There is no wall that we wont climb and there is no army that we wont face down .So let the mighty voices of desent be silint and all the hands that stretch through this great nation be joined together to show that change does happen and change will happen. Because we all know from personal experience that just because someone tauts that they have the greatest experince does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that they have our best interest at heart Thank you Michael Stanford PROUD SUPPORTER(AMERICAN IN THE NETHERLANDS!!!!!!) OF OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. Reviewer

LISTEN FOLKS - THIS IS THE REAL DEAL.....

NOT ONE OF THE PRIOR 101 postings mentioned the BIG DEAL.

Consisitency, a track of record of being a leader or consistent in his views.

PREDICTION : It's Obana vs. McCain (Caroline or John-John (R.I.P. '99) , really don't make a difference here...)

Obana 's 130 "PRESENT" votes will be the sword that McCain will thrust...deeply.

Hillary is going down... she does represent the smarmy insider WashDC politician.

McCain will have Iran and a big Deceit to deal with...

Obana will have too many open palms waiting to be repaid !!

January 27, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  22. Ryan

So Change is the word of this campaign! So whats Obama's change, all I hear him talk about is the word change with no real definition! Whats his stance on the issues, ya he speaks great, but whats behind is church alter speaking is what I am worried about? I think Caroline is great, but to compare Obama to her dad is not fair, that should be said after we see how he is if he does become president, as right now he reminds me of Bush in 2000, all talk with no real definition to his actions!

January 27, 2008 02:22 pm at 2:22 pm |
  23. Dave from CA.

It's so pathetic to read from this blog about those who still live in denial that Sen. Barack Obama is no JFK. Nobody (esp. people saying Obama is nothing like JFK) would ever never know or share JFK (both private & public) life & character more than his daughter did – Caroline Kennedy.
    And for Caroline Kennedy to say, "I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans." is something for all of us to ponder ...The truth about for the defining moment of our nation politics.
    Thanks Caroline Kennedy! Go Obama!! And God bless helps us all to bring back the lost glory of the greatest nation on earth!!! Go America!!!!

January 27, 2008 02:27 pm at 2:27 pm |
  24. Gary of LA

To each his/her own. She has the right to endorse anyone. Her endorsement will not affect anyone's vote not even Ted Kennedy's endorsement. American people are wise enough to know that HILLARY is the only candidate qualified to lead us in Day one.

She still leads the national polls and she will fight back! She is a strong woman with firm convictions. GO HILLARY for 2008! And do not understimate the Clintons, they will win it! That is politics.

January 27, 2008 02:28 pm at 2:28 pm |
  25. tomasi

its easy, this man will govern together with America people. Its not about how much moss some people purport to gathered but simply just a nation able toresonate together can achieve. Other guys coz of supposedly habitual gathered moss for a long time, will reference from then, hey its a new world! America needs more patriotic moves like this at such a time like this or she will fade like morning cloud.
    Bravo Carol