January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. concerned

Obama is no John Kennedy.

Go HIlliary

January 27, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  2. Michael in CA

After reading the editorial, I appluad Caroline on sharing her thoughts. However, she noted,

I beg to differ. As a 14 year old in '92, Bill Clinton inspired me. He did so much to make me believe in the possibilities, while laying out a plan. Unlike Senator Obama, then Gov. Clinton laid out a plan f how he was going to get our economy back on track. He did more than just give talking points. He also had a decades worth of high-level experience. I am backing Senator Clinton because of the same reasons. She has so much expeirence and knows the intricies of how the politics of DC work. I only hope the Democratic party will remember how much President Clinton did for our party and the country. Thanks to Senator Obama people are beginning to second-guess our former presidnet. How sad for someone who advocates such a positive message.

GO HILLARY!!

January 27, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  3. Marie

The media has made this election about race. The South Carolina polls verified this fact. Senator Obama does not have enough experience to run our country.
    If you search your memory to the 2000-2004 elections, the media (mostly Reublicans) swayed people to vote for Bush, not once but twice.

I for one am not ignorant. I will vote for the candidate of my choice, and will not allow anyone to sway my decision. It is my opinion that the Republicans would like to see Obama win, because in the end, he will be the least capable of fending off Republican attacks.

January 27, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. Ed

OMG PLEASE tell me how Obama is ANYWHERE near MLK, JFK???

I live here in Illinios, until he started running for President, I had NEVER EVEN HEARD OF HIM!!!

People are just trying to be P.C. and vote for the black guy!

I am NOT a racist! I am married to a person of color, I was excited when he came on the scene, I REALLY was...So far, he has ONLY quoted other famous people, LOTS of Dr. King quotes (which he shouldn't do) He is NOTHING like any of these people he keeps quoting, america needs to pay more attention!!!

January 27, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. lionred

Obviously, the Democratic party is doomed to failed!!! It's idealism is so strong, it's destroying the fabric of the party. Obama clearly lacks the qualifications to be President. However, our silly idealistic party could care less. First Obama is like MLK, now he is like JFk, clearly Obama supporters are overdosing on media hype. Anyone with common sense, knows that the blacks in South Carolina voted strictly on the basis of race. Therefore the vote in South Carolina, is unimportant because it was a racist vote! If the Hillary Clinton doesn't win this nomination as she should, I will definitely dump the Democratic party! As said before, it's excessive idealism is killing the party.

January 27, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  6. AMS

Obama's awesome but I still support Hilary to start getting us out of W's messes.

Hope she picks Obama as VP though, imagine how great the following would be:

Hilary 2008
    Hillary 2012
    Obama 2016
    Obama 2020

January 27, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  7. JAM

I fail to see the importance of either Kennedy endorsement. I think people are forgetting that like the Clintons, the Kennedy's have had, and continue to have their share of dishonorable moments.

The Kennedy's are seen as great supporters of civil rights, yet they live tucked away on their protected compound on Martha's Vineyard away from the consequences of their actions, both private and public.

January 27, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  8. Tyrone

If she believes obama is like her father then who are you to say different.
    YOU CHOOSE 08

January 27, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  9. veronica lynne

I don't think Obama is JFK, not even by a long shot. He was a moderate on taxes and other issues. We really don't know what Obama stands for, because he never really talks about it. Just change, change, change. But I would guess that he's very liberal if the Ted Kennedy and Caroline are are endorsing him.

January 27, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  10. Laura

I am SO not surprised to see the high number of anti-Obama comments.

Where's my glowing praise of Obama? It was nicely worded and without hatred toward the opposition.

Yet "OMG PLEASE I'm from Illinois and uninformed" gets posted before my words?

This is precisely why my father refers to CNN as the "Communist News Network" and precisely why I tell my students on a daily basis that real news is online, and not on their TV screens.

Keep up the filtering and silencing, CNN! You're showing me why I can continue to tell my students that JOURNALISM AS WE KNEW IT IS DEAD!!!

January 27, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  11. Chuck, Miami Fl

Obama only gets 25% of the white vote in SC. He is done, and this shows it. If he doesn’t get at least 35% of the white vote he will not make it. With out the Hispanic vote he will have problems too. He will need much more support from whites and Hispanics come Feb.
    The African Americans have turned on Hillary and rightfully so because of the dirty games the Clinton’s played. But I have to say Bill is a political guru knowing the whites will turn on Obama, and they did and will continue to turn on Obama. He will get some of the white votes but not enough. Florida will show white voters have turned on Obama in a big way just like the Blacks have turned on Hillary.

Pat Buchanan has it right when he says Bill got the whites turning on Obama.

January 27, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  12. Penelope

Hey Caroline insight is a beautiful thing... I'am sure Obama is thankful that you to can see the vision... It is time... has been time... long past time... and now it is time... for that change... that we all have been looking for... and let's thank Obama in 08 for having the courage to accept the challenge and with the help of a free thinking people... we will push forward... to take good care of our nation... because... good things always happen... when decent people... take up a cause... Obama will be a good president and a decent world leader... we will not be disappointed or misled by lies and deceit... how's that for a change?

January 27, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  13. Yoli

who cares??

January 27, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  14. Siagian

As an international observer of American Politics, it is very interesting and exciting for me to see the evolution of democracy in this country.

My question to the good people of America is this: How far has this democracy evolved? Not too long ago, people of colour were deemed not good enough to join their white brothers and sisters in restaurants, recreational areas, on buses, even in some churches!

Uncle Sam being the poster boy for democracy in the international community, it will be interesting to see how Barack fares since his immediate family has ties to Kenya, Indonesia and Canada (ie Africa, Asia and the western world).

I bring this up because the current administration and their foreign policies are so unpopular around the world, and looking at Barack myself, it is my opinion that he has the unique advantage of being the only candidate who can bring back our admiration for America and american style democracy.

Some say that he has very little experience. I think his so-called inexperience is actually a strength that he can bring to the White House. This means that he will not be held back by the day to day "no can do" attitude, pessimism and cynicism of the "experienced" Washington insider. This means that he can look at the current state of affairs with "new eyes" and see "new solutions". (After all just think about it–do we really want the house of Clinton back on Pennsylvania Avenue? Seriously…isn't eight years long enough?)

Since Barack's father left them for a Ph.D in Economics from Harvard, Barack was raised primarily by his white mother and his white grandparents the Dunhams. Seeing where he is today in the world, all I can say is that he had an excellent upbringing. They taught him good from bad. They taught him collaboration. They taught him leadership. They raised him well, and from an international point of view, this bodes well for the future of America and our global village.

Two cents please.

siagian@michigan

January 27, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  15. Belinda

Derek

Robert Kennedy Jr is also a supporter of Hugo Chavez. That should tell you something about General Clinton

January 27, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  16. Jenn

Although you should vote for the candidate who fits you best...I'm already dedicated to Obama, I have been so for a long time, in fact I've already voted early here in Los Angeles. I have a great deal of respect for the Kennedy's. Ted Kennedy is to endorse Obama on Monday, and he is a very influential figure, and well respected. Caroline has managed to stay away from Politics, and for the first time she's getting involved...Now if that isn't inspiring then I don't know what is.

January 27, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  17. charlotte

Anyone black can win SC. EX: Jessie Jackson..JFK was the first president I voted for and Barack is no JFK. I don't know anything about Caroline except she was his daughter. Maybe because he kept refering to himself as another JFK is why she was impressed. The Kennedys are, and will continue to be a force in American politics. I did not know RFKjr. had endorsed Hillary until I read it here. Not that I believe everything I read here. Anyone else notice CNN did not cover all of Hillarys' speech, but Barack and Edwards went on and on. Barack is not a black JFK. He is a good speaker, so was JFK. But that is where the similarty ends. JFK did not stammer and stutter in the debates. He could hold his own with the best of them. I might add he did not win the popular vote he won the electoral college. That is what Obama must do. Once your out of the south the black vote is not the dominate vote. Then you must show you are more then a good talker. He was not on a PT boat in the Pacific. He does not have the experience in politics as JFK. The next debate is probably the most important, he better be a little quicker on his feet, you don't have a scripted speech. No re-writes when the mike is on!

January 27, 2008 02:46 pm at 2:46 pm |
  18. Sandy

I'm sorry, but this whole endorsement thing is nothing more than media fluff. It's sad that politics has taken the route of everything else in this media fanatic culture. Endorsements...big deal.

Frankly, I'm disappointed in Caroline Kennedy. I'm disappointed in anyone that is injecting their popularity status into the election by making premature endorsements. I might as well just give up my vote and say... put my vote where ever Brad Pitt decides to put his. This process only further disenfranchises the American public from having to get involved with politics and look at the real issues.

One reader commented: Wow! That's a great endorsement from Caroline Kennedy. I'm beginning to jump on this Obama bandwagon.

This is exactly why endorsements are nothing but fluff. It equates with the kid having to have a pair of Nike's because Michael Jordan endorsed them. No wonder why there are so many young people voting. This is what they relate to! It's not about the issues or whether the candidate will make a good president.

Sure, Obama gives a good speech. What about his credentials? His statements indicate that he will micro-manage the White House if elected. HOW is that different from the past seven years?

I'm not opposed to Obama. He might make a fine president 8 years from now after he has an opportunity to build his resume. He came to the Senate and immediately started thinking of the Presidency. I haven't seen anything to prove his readiness.

January 27, 2008 02:54 pm at 2:54 pm |
  19. Becky Montgomery

I am so tired of hearing people say Obama doesn't talk about specific policies; he DOES! Read his web site and listen to what he says. He speaks of very specific plans.

January 27, 2008 02:55 pm at 2:55 pm |
  20. Ted

OBAMA is not experienced enough, please. His disorganized thoughts on debates shows it. I want someone who is more experienced and knows what to do on Day one and that is HILLARY CLINTON.

January 27, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  21. Sherri

People get so carried away by hype instead of substance.
    What has Obama done in his political career to unite?
    What has Obama done to get 16 year olds off the streets?
    What has Obama done for his "people"?
    What has Obama done except look good in suits, talk a good game and look "presidential"?
    He is not promising anything, he is not saying anything. He has no plans or outline for fixing the problems that will be left behind.
    Listen hard at what he doesn't say at the next debate. He never answers a question. Instead he will attack his opponents ideas or tell an anecdote about himself or start throwing around America is ready for a "change".
    Sweet nothings, that's all it is.

January 27, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  22. Neutral

I'm neutral in this race (foreign living in US). This is the first time I have the opportunity to follow very closely the entire primary debates/selection/election. For someone who is a politic-addict, I must say: What a show! You must feel very lucky to have these two talented and strong candidates (don’t get too exited Rudy and Romney; I'm referring to the democratic candidates!).
    Politic is the art of painting the worlds using the words as colors. Hearing Barak talking yesterday was like admiring a beautiful Monet painting au Musee d'Orsay!

Yes, my neutrality took a hit yesterday and it is slightly tilting…

January 27, 2008 02:59 pm at 2:59 pm |
  23. stan pitts pa

When are people gonna get it! the republicans dont want the clintons back in the white house! nothing will ever get done as they would stop her every step of the way, like they did in 93" to her health care plan! obama is the choice to get things done on a bi-partisan level!

January 27, 2008 03:00 pm at 3:00 pm |
  24. canadianfan

I have no vote but am very intrigued with this campaign. Congrats to Caroline
    Kennedy and I hope that most Americans will follow her lead. Obama would be the best candidate to bring respectability and belief back to the USA. As a non-american I see how much influence you have on the world, and how much the respect has been lost. Hilary will not do as much as Obama will to bring the USA back to being a true world leader!

January 27, 2008 03:01 pm at 3:01 pm |
  25. Mike J.

I think JFK would give his little girl a spanking and hi brother a black eye if he was still alive.What a big mistake they are making.They are jumping the gun on this one.Ted Kennedy and Caroline seen how much Obama one by in SC and then jumped to Obamas side.I think they should have waited untill super tuesday was over.They will be saying the same thing on the wednesday after.

GO HLLLARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!