January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Ted

Thanks Sherri. I rest my case.

January 27, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  2. David

THERE IS SO MUCH MENTION ABOUT BILL CLINTON SUPPORTING HIS WIFE CANDIDACY. THIS IS THE FIRST TIME IN HISTORY THAT THIS SITUATION HAS TRANSPIRED. WHAT WOULD THE MEDIA BE SAYING IF HE WASN’T ON THE CAMPAIGN TRAIL SUPPORTING HIS WIFE.

THERE TALKING NOW ABOUT BILLS MENTION THAT JESSE JACKSON WON SOUTH CAROLINA BUT DIDN’T WINNING THE NOMINATION. THAT WAS A RACIST REMARK, WHY? IF JESSE JACKSON HAD GONE ON TELEVISION AND SAID, I WON THE SOUTH CAROLINA PRIMARY BUT NOT THE NATIONAL NOMINATION. THAT WOULD BE OK!!!!! THERE’S A DOUBLE STANDARD HERE AND WE COULD NEVER HAVE UNITY UNTIL THOSE ISSUES ARE ADDRESS. THE FACT IS THAT JACKSON OWN THE SOUTH CAROLINA PRIMARY AND NOT THE NOMINATION

January 27, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  3. Bayousara

Caroline

Thanks for going "public" with your endorsement. It is good to hear from you!

I was a few months too young to vote for your dad, but he was to me exactly what you say in your opinion–he was a huge inspiration!

And I worked on Robert Kennedy's campaign while I lived in Southern Oregon. A few days (or was it hours) later he was killed in L.A.

I haven't yet decided who I will vote for, but I am a Democrat and have been all of my adult life.

January 27, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  4. stan pitts pa

to MIKE J: sorry bud but not everyone abuses their daughters like you seem to think, most people would respect their daughters wishes especially if she is an adult, this intolerant and negative attitude im afraid is consistent with hrc supporters. Caroline kennedy is an adult and if she thinks obama is as inspirational and capable as her father, she is right on!

January 27, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Paula in VA

Sherri-

Why should Obama get 16 year olds off the street? Isn't that the parents job?

What has he done for his people? His people is the AMERICAN people. Give the man a chance to show what he can do for his people.

What did the Clintons do for their people? With all the years of experience she's citing, the healthcare issue should have been taken care of a long time ago.

Obama and Edwards should just unite and get rid of the her.

January 27, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  6. cathy

Susan Maloff–quit whining...at least your comments get printed. Mine always say "awaiting moderation"/

January 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  7. David

I HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE CANPAIGN FOR THE LAST FOR FIVE MONTHS. I’VE BEEN WATCHING ALL THE NETWORKS AND I HAVEN’T SEEN WHAT BILL CLINTON SAID THAT WAS RACIST.THE MEDIA AS FANED THE FLAMES OF RACISM TO REPORT SENSATIONALISM. PLEASE ANYONE THAT READS THIS MESSAGE LET ME KNOW WHAT HE SAID.

IF YOU WATCH THE REPUBLICAN, THEY SAY WHAT THEY WANT ABOUT THEMSELVES, THERE’S NO RACISM. BUT IFYOU HAVE THE SAME DEBATE BETWEEN A WHITE CANDIDATE AND A BLACK CANDIDATE THE WHITE CANDIDATE IS CALLED A RACIST, INTERJECTING A CODE MESSAGE OF RACISM. WHERE IS THE UNITY OFA PEOPLE WHEN A BLACK CANDIDATE COULD SAY ANYTHING THEY WANT AND THE WHITE CANDIDATE MUST MEASURE THERE STATEMENT.

January 27, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  8. Renee

Reading all this from Hillary's fans there is an atmosphere of Negative This is showing me more and more this is what Hillary's camp is about Negative emotions and no Unity. Can we trust the Clintons to run our Country. America Please wake up.

January 27, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  9. Vicki

Who's Behind Obama-Same speech each time with no real avenues of policy discussion. The blacks did not vote for our economic concerns, they voted to support the blacks–no problem but lets be real. The Kennedy's are now supporting Obama–no surprise there–they've been behind the scenes with Oprah since the inception. What better way to further their policies than support an inexperienced novice to further their ideology. He is a pawn for the ole money to use. Big–Big–Money, make no mistake, their are republican idiologies here, with a lot of smear tactics. Stop comparing John and Bobby Kennedy to Obama, he is not like the great ones....maybe in his speeches–his are definately motivational–only thing hes got going for him. Obama can and will be swayed by other powerful individuals–just wait it will be known to the country's dispair. Additionally–take away all of the news media, the Oprah's, the Kennedy's and other endorsements, just the candidates–who would win? Make no mistake, Hillary hands down. Wake up people–who is really running, Oprah or the Kennedy's. Does CNN report the Obama tactics against Hillary–no, and why?????? Hillary cant be swayed by powerful individuals, she stands behind her policies–not sure what Obama stands for–but do know that he's got some heavy backers who want their policy ideas, both reprublican and democratic to become a reality.

January 27, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  10. Linda~n~Wisconsin

Talk about going back in history!! Then again the old saying goes, die and no one says anything bad about a person. RIP President Kennedy, and would you endorse Obama, I think not.

Obama is no Kennedy. I am disappointed that any of the Kennedy's would disgrace John Kennedy in this manner. Oh well, Ted endorsed Kerry, and we all see where that got him.

When the Rezko trial begins in Feb., I wonder how many people will be glad that they endorsed someone who is s slum lord. Rezko-O-Rama!!

As for SC, no democrat has won there since Carter in 1976 in the general election.

I will not vote for Obama no matter who endorses him. He has created a big divide in the democrat party, and I refuse to vote for someone who is a male chauvinist pig.

January 27, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  11. michelle

kudos for Caroline for having a vision of real change

Clinton is NOT change ...just more of the same ole same ole
    good grief its been Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush for 20 years
    Isn't that enough for Americans of these dynasties

Vote for REAL change
    Vote Obama 08

Get a new fresh face in the white house

January 27, 2008 03:50 pm at 3:50 pm |
  12. Natalie

This is huge for Barack. Having the support of the Kennedy's will go a looonng way.

Thanks Caroline.... and now Ted!

January 27, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  13. S Johnson

If people want or need to be inspired, perhaps they should find a church, join a club, or volunteer for a cause that interests them. If they have a need to feel good, perhaps they should consult a doctor and rule out underlying depression. What they should NOT do, in my opinion, is vote for a canidate that they can rah rah rah behind–like the presidential election is a football game.

January 27, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Mark, Great Lakes, IL

As a Veteran and a proud VVA supporter I have to say that this Veteran supports Obama 100%. He has stood above the others on Veterans issues. Need proof? Go to the VVA website and check out this months or last years VVA magazine.

January 27, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. OBAMA4EVER

HE IS BETTER THEN JFK

January 27, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Thomas Henson

Caroline.... your father would be so ashamed of you for being such a fool.

If Obama wins this election, I already have my visa ready to start my path towards UK citizenship. If Obama wins, I wash my hands of this country which barely even resembles the country I swore allegience to as a child. And before anyone even mentions it, I would not care if a black man(or even a black WOMAN) were voted president, but I beleive the democratic party chose THE worst black man possible to run in this election... almost like they grabbed him up JUST because he was black and in their party, and then grabbed hillary JUST because she is female.

Almost as if the Democratic party is betting on both sides of affirmative action to subvert the vote. Well, if Obama wins I hope you guys are ready for another iraq in his native Kenya.

January 27, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  17. Dee Ward Mena, AR

Thought I would try again since mine is still awaiting moderation since last night:
    January 26, 2008 9:45 pm ET
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    I am really disappointed in Carolina Kennedys endorsement of obama. The Clintons have so admired the Kennedys all their lives. JFK was Bill Clintons mentor from the time he went to Boys State when he was just a teen ager. They visited the Kennedys and admired them so much. I do think loyalty should count for something and I don't believe that obama is a JFK. I certainly hope that Edward Kennedy doesn't follow suit. I am really shocked and disappointed and wish she had not endorsed anyone.

January 27, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  18. Carol

I know Obama can get people inspired with his speeches – but, we need a president in the White House that can deliver!

What can he do?? What has he done? The only record we have to judge him on is what he did in the US Senate and the Senate in Illinois. How can anyone hit the wrong button 5 times when voting. How can a man of determination waiver 130 times when voting.

More than anytime in our history, we need a person in the White House that can set our country back on track. Hillary can do it!

HILLARY 08

January 27, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  19. betty

the reason why this democracy works is that we all have an opinion, this does not give you however the right to call someone else wrong. as far as obama voting present what about hillary being absent and not voting at all for about 130 plus times why don't you mention that? we as americans ought to be proud we have progressed this far knowing that the rest of the world is watching us, thus di
    sproving that we are more than greedy,spoiled self serving people.
    praying for the nation.

January 27, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  20. Susan

I have no respect at all for the Kennedy's as their lives are nothing to be proud of. A good portion of them have lead lives that just disgust me. They have never had any real consequences for their actions and have gotten away with stuff you or I (commom people) who ever be able to. So let them endorse Obama and turn off voters to vote for the other candidates.

January 27, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  21. campbell

I agree Obama is not JFK. We are all unique in our own way but still Obama is reminding Caroline her own Dad...that's something. This will be my second election, the first time I choose George Bush but this year I am Obama republican. I just love this young fellow American. We needed a true Uniter and thanks God we found one.

Go Obama.

January 27, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  22. Laurie

I read a lot of slams against Senator Clinton. Then I read about the "dream" Obama has and how that "dream" would make for a great president. What I do NOT read is a single tangible thing Obama has done to PROVE to me that he is qualified to become president of the United States. The dream is wonderful, but what is the reality all about?

January 27, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  23. Helen

I am apalled at both Caroline and Ted. BO is no JFK an believe me I was a Kennedy supporter. BO will not unite but divide this great country. I vote HILLARY anf if BO gets the nomination I will hold my nose and vote republican.

January 27, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  24. Hans

c ya later Thomas, hope you elect the "right" black man in UK, since his race matters so much to you

January 27, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  25. J.C.T.

TEDD KENEDDY SAMETHING SIMILAR TO OBAMA,HE LOVES LICORS,BARACK LOVES DRUGS?
    ASK TEDD KENNEDY WHY HE DOESN'T INTEND TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT?

January 27, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |