January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Michael

Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton(?)

Yeahup, looks like change to me if Hillary wins.

By the way, based on the "experience" Hillary thinks she has, the White House landscaper would qualify as "experienced."

35 years of experience? Really? Can someone tell me what political office Hillary held before she was a carpetbagging Senator from NY?

Slick Willy didn't think she was good enough to remain faithful to...and she didn't have the backbone to standup to him as a publicly humiliated woman. EXACTLY the type of woman that needs to be in White House (sarcasm added).

And by the way...to those of you who want to vote for Hillary just because we've never had a woman president, I bet you've never juggled chainsaws, either. And I doubt you're considering it now.

January 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  2. Dude

I agree, TH. we had quality candidates like Dodd, Biden,Kucinich and Edwards but the media has annointed this guy. I don't get it.

January 27, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  3. Jeremy, Jacksonville Fl

Yeah for Obama!!! I know he is gonna win.

January 27, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. Araceli in Illinois

I am glad the Kennedys are endorsing Obama. I am a young voter and was unsure who I should vote for. I was completely turned off by Hilary Clinton if you are a femenist fight your own fight don't send your husband out to fight your battle! Show us you have what it takes is Bill gonna fight all your battles?
    VOTE OBAMA its time for a REAL CHANGE!!!

January 27, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  5. Kim, Dallas, TX

Thomas Henson, I believe our country will do fine if you move to the UK. I can only hope your frustration with our country is bourn from the past and not from the possibilities that lie ahead. Those of us who pay attention are thrilled with the possibility of Obama leading us in a new direction. The past has taken it's toll on our country, we need someone to bring hope back to us. And before anyone tries to jump on that bandwagon (that Obama only preaches hope), check out Obama's website. He does indeed have great thoughts about how to lead us out of our current rut. Unlike Hillary who will just say whatever is needed, or do whatever is needed to get elected. AS far as your war comment. Obama is the ONLY one who had the good judgment before going into Iraq. I have no idea where your ideas about Kenya come from...fear from the Republicans? Fear does nothing but dibilitate people.

I have supported Obama since he announced his candidacy. It's nice to see that others can see the value in him leading us as well. Thank you Caroline and Ted for your good judgment and for endorsing Obama. I was not old enough to remember JFK being elected, but my aunt always spoke so highly of him. I know she feels the same about Obama. Inspiration can be so exciting!!

January 27, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  6. J.C.T.

CAROLINE WILL BE THE FINANCIAL ADVISOR OF BARACK OBAMA?
    I'M SURE THE AMERICAN FINANCIAL MARKETS WILL BE DOWN ON MONDAY
    SINCE OBAMA WON THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY IN SOUTH CAROLINE..

January 27, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  7. Todd

It is the democrats election to loose, if in a choice between a republican war hero and a possible muslum( not black) connection canidate ?? Whats going to happen to the support when the dirty politics start with two party canidates?

January 27, 2008 05:04 pm at 5:04 pm |
  8. SD4Obama

130 or so present votes out of aprox. 4000 because of problems with a bill due to constitutional snafu's cited by the only candidate who taught constitutional law, represents good judgement.

Obama '08
    No more politics of fear.

January 27, 2008 05:05 pm at 5:05 pm |
  9. Bendskin

Having been closed friends with the Clintons for so many years, I can see how hard it was for Ted and Caroline Kennedy to make such a big decision. I strongly believe that God has enable them to transcend their doubts, fear or prejudice about Obama, and has opened their heart to finaly accept the fact that this man is unique and such opportunities are very rare. Obama happened to be a black man, just like John Kennedy happened to be white man! Maybe in the years to come we will have a spanish president, or even an asian american president, as female or male candidates. I myself had many doubts about Obama electability, but after watching all the democratic debates and witness the elegancy and leadership he has brought to his presidential campaign, I came to believe in him.
    People needs to understand that the primary role of a president is to lead a nation by setting a vision and inspiring the people to follow. This kind of talent do not come thru an education, this kind of talent is given at birth and Obama happend to have received it. Such a man can transform a Nation, and I have no doubs that he can even transform the world. Americans need to look at the big picture here and I believe they will make the right choice.

January 27, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  10. J.C.T.

CAROLINE WILL BE THE FINANCIAL ADVISOR OF BARACK OBAMA?
    I'M SURE THE AMERICAN FINANCIAL MARKETS WILL BE DOWN ON MONDAY
    SINCE OBAMA WON THE DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY IN SOUTH CAROLINE..

BARACK OBAMA. HE FFELS THAT HE HAS WON THE PRESIDENCY ..
    NOW HE'S GIVING DISCOURSES WITH FULL OF SARCASTICS SMILES IN
    ALABAMA...WITH HIS HANDS INSIDE HIS POCKETS?
    "WHO SMILES TOO SOON LOST VERY SOON IN FEBRUARY ".

January 27, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  11. Leslie Reynolds-Benns

I just read and saved the article from the Times. Thank you Caroline for articulating the comparsons I have been making. I am 67 years old, so I remember your father. My only sadness is that RFK Jr., doesn't share what you see. Maybe he will come around. Or he is in debt to Hillary for something.
    Leslie Reynolds-Benns

January 27, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  12. Conrad

MS.C.KENNEDY IS CORRECT, WHEN I FIRST HEARD BARACK SPEAK ONE NAME CAME TO MIND JFK. AND NOW HIS BROTHER ALSO AGREES, WE NEED A CHANGE PEOPLE, AND IF MR. OBAMA WANTS EVERYBODYS VOTE HE SHOULD ASK MR.JOHN EDWARDS TO JOIN HIM AS VICE PRESIDENT, WITH THESE TWO OUTSTANDING CITIZENS RUNNING TOGETHER, EVERYONE ELSE SHOULD JUST GET OUT OF THEIR WAY & LET THEM START TO HEAL THIS GREAT COUNTRY OF OURS ...

January 27, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  13. Jess

I find is so funny (in a very sad way) that there are people supposing that they know JFK more than his own daughter. That is past the limit of ignorance.

January 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  14. No Clinton Dynasty!!

WOW! Huge endorsement! This is great!!

America is now wide awake and rejecting the Clintonian's style of lies, fraud and disception !! This is history in the making, this is our chance !!

The Clinton's are NOT change …just more of the same.
    Its been Bush Clinton Clinton Bush Bush for 20 years now,
    Isn't that enough of these dynasties?

Vote for the future
    Vote for REAL change
    Vote Obama 08

January 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  15. Texans for Hillary

Oh great! I am waiting to see who Barney the Dinosaur is going to endorse.

January 27, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  16. Paul, Atlanta

Has anyone figured what Obama is really saying to us!
    He is just a Pied Piper!

January 27, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. concerned

yeh sherri and carol
    agree completely

GO HILLIARY

January 27, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  18. Collette

All that Billary can do is Politic, we need a leader NOW and not a political machine!

January 27, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. Obama 2008

Wait....isn't Hillary a femenist? Then why did this turn into Billary?Why does she need a man to back her up?
    OBAMA 2008!!!

January 27, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  20. hillary on 2/5

Ginny, CA, I agree with you totally. I was also around for the Kennedy years and know of his background and preparation. And to independant (sic) woman, you say Caroline would know because she lived with JFK – sadly, only as a very small child, so her memories are of a nice daddy, just as we all have if we are lucky.

I find it interesting how little press is given to RFK Jr.'s endorsement of Hillary, and how much is made of Caroline's and Ted's endorsement of Obama – typical media bias again. And I doubt that most people would view Ted as much of a role model/source of good opinions, despite his pedigree. RFK Jr. has it right.

Go Hillary on 2/5 and throughout the next 8 years!

January 27, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  21. Vicki

THERES A SPLIT IN THE KENNEDY ENDORSEMENTS..........Why is it that CNN reports some of the facts and not all of the facts? Is it to keep the Obama frenzy going. The fact is that other Kennedys do not have he same endorsements. Robert Kennedy's children, Kathleen, Kerry, and Bobby do not support Obama–they support Hillary. Albeit that JFK and his brother would also support Hillary. CNN can you report on the other Kennedys as well as Caroline and Ted????

January 27, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  22. v.cifaldi&paul

WELL , HAVE THE KENNEDY'S LOST THEIR MINDS?! TO COMPARE BARACK OBAMA TO JFK IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, THE MOST LUDICROUS THING I HAVE HEARD IN YEARS.

MAYBE, AFTER SOUTH CAROLINA'S PRIMARY, BARRY SHOULD CHANGE HIS CAMPAIGN MOTTO TO: RUN, OBAMA, RUN!

ALTHOUGH, HE CANNOT HOLD A CANDLE TO JESSE; OR HILLARY.....

A MEMBER OF THE RAINBOW COALITION SAID THIS.

January 27, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  23. Farrell, Houston, Tx

It's amazing reading some of these comments and find some people really don't know what they want but have a crystal ball to help them perdict the future.

January 27, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. momo

And Robert Kennedy Jr endorsed Hillary.

January 27, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  25. v.ananthan

OBAMA HAS NO CHANCE AGAINST REPUBLICAN FRONT RUNNERS WHEN IT COMES TO NATIONAL SECURITY AND THE ECONOMY.
    ***OBAMA IS A BLESSING TO REPUBLICANS*******