January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. RTH

I've never really cared about endorsements – if everyone I loved suddenly endorsed Giuliani I'd still find him a despotic toad (call me an "issues voter") – but I'm glad Obama's garnering attention now. Prior to Iowa the party big whigs seemed to think Clinton was the inevitable choice. Well, I haven't been that impressed with either of them over the last few days, but I'm thrilled at the chance to be a small part of what may be a momentous election – oh, not that whole "firstness" thing. I'm looking forward to electing someone who can re-ignite the pride in America without the harsh glare of arrogance or xenophobia.

January 26, 2008 09:21 pm at 9:21 pm |
  2. lw

I am disappointed that Caroline Kennedy would endorse Sen. Obama. Even the Kennedy's are divided in this race.

January 26, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  3. Educated American

I am a registered independent who tend to tilt right. However, the brilliance, leadership, civility and unified vision of Mr. Obama, particularly in the face of ugliness, mischaracterizations, ruthlessness and feelings of entitlement are awe-inspiring.

His great dignity and grace under fire are remarkable.

Sen Obama has put forward a luminous and thorough agenda that will ultimately advance America.

January 26, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  4. Another Steve

I agree many times endorsements don't matter. This one does.

January 26, 2008 09:23 pm at 9:23 pm |
  5. kfrank

Please...something should remain sacred in this country, let it be this last known sanctity of America...right, wrong or indifferent, DO NOT criticize Caroline Kennedy (Schlossberg); IF you must comment/criticize, comment on the issues, NOT the messenger, back your statement(s) with fact(s).

January 26, 2008 09:24 pm at 9:24 pm |
  6. Bev

No he isn't a Kennedy....he's a Lincoln. Either way he is awesome. He is intellectual; personable; has tremendous leadership abilities; is decisive (no matter what the Clinton's say). And speaking of the Clinton's...for pete's sake did everyone in America forget the Bill Clinton of the White House who's parting statement was "party with the cigar in the oval room?????" Who cares what he thinks or what he says? He lost his credibility before he every left the White House. Hillary would do well to leave him at home.

January 26, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  7. Sharon in FL

Caroline should be ashamed. It's an insult to JFK to compare him with the weak, wimpy, inexperienced Obama.

January 26, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  8. Julia

Will it get a lot of publicity because he's Obama or because she's JFK's daughter? It seems to mean he's the new Kennedy, right? But then the letter from Martin Luther King Jr.'s son's to John Edwards got virtually no publicity, seemed to mean nothing to anyone but Edwards and his supporters, and was far stronger than an endorsement? Curious.

January 26, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  9. Aidyn

Obama is nice and all..........but he not Kennedy never will.

January 26, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  10. Katy Hill Prescott Az.

Good for Caroline, Janet Napalitano and every other woman who doesn't feel obligated to vote for Hillary.

January 26, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  11. Ellen

I'm afraid Caroline will be sorely disappointed. Obama is nothing like her father. If we're confronted by an event like the Cuban missiles, and Obama is president, God help us all.

January 26, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  12. wale azeez

wow....people may say this means nothing...but let me remind you it's kennedy family name we are talking about here...she won't put it on the line for nothing....much grease to your elbow obama....I will pray for you....and i hope that your presidency brings joy to america!!!!

January 26, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  13. angela

Who cares about these celebrities favorite candidate. From The BIG "O" to Caroline to blah,blah,blah...People we are a world gone mad!!! Anyone who basis a vote on what a famous face says is really "LOST" unless of course they were all in the same financial bracket. WAKE-UP AMERICA there is TOO MUCH to lose so follow your heart,community needs,medical needs,getting troops home...... I could go on, and on yet I am going to watch a movie and not care who Kevin Costner is voting for.

January 26, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  14. PAUL K.

JFK is turning in his grave.
    Shame on you Caroline.

January 26, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  15. Jennifer Jackson

BARRACK OBAMA THE MAN FOR THE JOB YOU GO GUY.
    NO STOPPING YOU NOW.AMERICA NEEDS THAT CHANGE.

January 26, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  16. chevy

These endorsements will keep on coming! because Obama is the agent of change for: Health Care, Ending the war in iraq, Uniting both parties, and Placing america back on the map as the Supreme World Power and AUTHORITY.

January 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  17. Tanner of KS

To each his/her own, Obama is a very good candidate but what will he bring on Day 1? His lack on inexperience? I would not mind if there would be a HILLARY/OBAMA ticket. If Obama wins, he will be easily trampled by the Republican. We need someone who can battle the Republican, HILLARY is the candidate who can do that!

January 26, 2008 09:31 pm at 9:31 pm |
  18. Ottila

kathy1111 – Kennedy spent 14 years in the U.S. Congress before he became president, Obama thought of running for president in his 2nd year. No, Kennedy didn't win by a landslide – he won by a few thousand votes, one of the closest in U.S. election history. And yes, Hillary will be the Democratic nominee and will be elected president.

January 26, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  19. v.ananthan

Anybody can become preesident but without experience that person will be depending heavilly on OTHERS!!!

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  20. Chris

Want a quick history lesson? Kennedy did NOT win in a landslide. Until 2000, it was the closest and most contentious presidential race in history. Had it not been for dead people voting in West Virginia(thanks Joe Kennedy and the mob) and mysterious voters showing up at the polls in the Chicago-area(thanks Richard Daley), then Richard Nixon might very well have been President in 1960 instead of 1968. Kennedy gets way too much credit for being some fantastic and wonderful President. The truth is he was medicore at best. He was just the beginning of this celebrity-obsessed culture that now has us taking pictures of a dead actor's casket.

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  21. Vancouver-Truth

I think the NYTimes endorsement out weighs this one. Emotional endorsements like Caroline's do not help move the election or the country forward. Between "hope" and "success" is "HOW". To date, Obama hasn't answered enough questions on the "How". He is using the novelty of his youth and race to win over the "emotional" voters. When it comes to fixing the wounded American economy and other critical issues that must be addressed, his words seem to be sparse and hesitant. I hope CNN will demand answers from all the candidates and not be swayed by this "American Idol" mentality.

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  22. Anonymous

Ellen – the same was said of Kennedy in the handling of Cuba.....

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  23. karen

Obama is a great and eloquent speaker but I fear he would not know how to deal with a terrorist attack such as we had on our country on 9/11. Pulling out of Iraq immediately would no doubt result in looking like cowardice on our part and an attack would surely follow. On all other issues, Obama has promise.

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  24. mildred Lawson

Will someone be speaking for Hillary whenever something doesnt go her way...

January 26, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  25. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

I couldn't believe Caroline endorsed Obama, Hillary admired her mother and her mother advised Hillary, Caroline should know Hillary better, what is behind of this show? May be her uncle's ruse? Obama is not even close to JFK, Caroline debased her father's dignity.

January 26, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |