January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Janice

As a woman, I have taken great pride in accomplishing things on my own. I deeply resent Hillary Rodham Clinton for depending on her husband to drag her across the finish line. She is weaker than I thought...(or must not believe she can do it on her own).

January 27, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  2. Conan

Why do I care what this person thinks?

January 27, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  3. Kyu Reisch, Radcliff, Kentucky

Thomas Henson, you are right. I think people are making another mistake just like Bush. Caroline is nothing to me, she is a liar like Obama, if she was inspired by him why waited so long and endorse him when just blacks stood up. It is Ted's wicked plan. Kennedy family will regret soon. They are disgrace to family and shameful.

January 27, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  4. Janice

Carol,

Hillary is weak and her biggest weakness is her dependence on Bill Clinton. Think about it.

Janice

January 27, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  5. momo

If you want to be like sheep, vote for the media's choice..Barack Obama. If he get's the nomination, I'll have to hold my nose & vote Republican.

January 27, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  6. marc from indiana

Caroline is a fool, and should never take up flying her own plane. BO so called experience has been as a 'state senator', not even a full time job in most states. He is an empty suit. Hillary has run this country for 8 years during her former presidency with Bill as her lap puppet. Now that is the real experience that counts. This country needs the 'lady behind the curtain' NOW.

January 27, 2008 06:04 pm at 6:04 pm |
  7. rainman

not to rain on the Obama lovefest, but what do you think is going to happen when (unfortuneately) racist america sees Obama vs McCain as their choices? that's right, folks. another republican in the white house.

January 27, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. Millie

I hope she doesn't cry.

January 27, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  9. Carl

I think Caroline talked with Uncle Ted!!!!!
    Way to go Teddy.Results from the North/East should now be Great.
    Now to Calfornia and talk to Arnold!!!
    Sorry Hillary & Bill--Maybe in the next life...

OBAMA 2008

Regards, Carl (Canada)

January 27, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  10. Amy in Iowa

I am happy about this endorsement, And I hope Obama becomes our next President. This country really needs Obama to lead us out of the past and on to a brighter future.

January 27, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  11. Marcylee

The Clinton's have sooo much dirt underneath them. There is no honesty or integrity involved there. How can Hillary claim all this "experience" when all the experience she has had is being Bill's wife as 1st Lady. And we all know she didn't do a very good job at that. She has only had 1 shot as senator in New York. Gee she has held that job a real long time. If you want to know all about Senator Obama then check out his website. All his creditionals are listed right there. He doesn't owe anyone political favors or anything else. He is for the people. He works for the people. The fact that Caroline endorsed him is huge. She knows what she is talking about. Obama does inspire us like no other. I have always gone republican, but not this time. It is time for a Change and Barack is just the man to do it. I have never even wanted to get involved in politics before and find myself campaigning for this man and trying to help in any way possible. I have never been so inspired by anyone as I am Barack. I am not black, but what does it matter. I am American. Like Barack I have mixed race grandchildren, some are puerto rican, black, my son is cherokee indian, bottom line we are all American, That is what America is. We need to be united as one. One nation under God!

Barack Obama '08

The only sensible choice !!

January 27, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  12. Desiree

Most of Obama's supporter were not born when JFK was elected. When did experience and hard work become a bad thing and hoping and talking is now a good thing for democrats. What happened to ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country. JFK was a war hero. He's no JFK.

January 27, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  13. Nancy Tc

I am dumbfounded by this endorsement by Caroline Kennedy. How easy it is for her to look at a candidate who only offers inspiration. Well Caroline, walk a day in my shoes. You don't know what it's like to be down to the last dollar and have to figure out how you are going to pay your bills. It is sad that you and your uncle took this position.

I have lost faith and hope in you and your family and as of today I am no longer voting for any Kennedy seeking office and if there is a vote to adopt term limits, I will vote YES.

Obama really thinks his administration will be an administration of change? Give me a break. He still has the old boys club behind him, who will be running the office of the Presidency and him as they see fit.

With friends like you...who needs enemies???

January 27, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  14. Kim

Not all Kennedy's support Obama:

Statement from Kathleen Kennedy Townsend on Clinton's website:

"I respect Caroline and Teddy's decision but I have made a different choice. While I admire Senator Obama greatly, I have known Hillary Clinton for over 25 years and have seen first hand how she gets results. As a woman, leader, and person of deep convictions, I believe Hillary Clinton would make the best possible choice for president. She shares so many of the concerns of my father. Hillary has spent a lifetime speaking out on behalf of the powerless and working to alleviate poverty, in our country and around the world. I have seen her work up close and know she will be a great President. At this moment when so much is at stake at home and overseas, I urge our fellow Americans to support Hillary Clinton. That is why my brother Bobby, my sister Kerry, and I are supporting Hillary Clinton."

January 27, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  15. pink slipper

I am still voting for Hillary Clinton. She strong , she;s smart and she'll be the winner. Settled down everyone. Winning for Obama in South Carolina was predictable. Go Hillary. And Bill, you were the one who got caught. I voted for you because you did give us a great economy with NO DECIFIET! I trust your wife as President.

January 27, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  16. Nancy TC

With friends like you...who needs enemies???

Hillary, you have the vote of me and my family, because we know you have the experience and that you will know on DAY 1 how to fix our country.

January 27, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  17. Jorge Phoenix, AZ

I'm deeply sorry that Ms. Caroline Kennedy has endorsed someone that has no experience and can't be compared to her dad. I thought very highly about her but with this endorsing of a candidate that will be "Bush like" made me wonder her reasons.

Thanks,

January 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Amarillys

1. For those of you complaining that Obama is "silver-tounged", stop being lazy and do some research. Details are what each presidential candidate has a website for. There is plenty of information and specifics on Barack Obama's plans for people to find, if they stop regurgitating the same baseless criticism without putting in the time to look it up.

2. The fact is that all of the candidates can't do that much to make their policies into law. That job belongs to the legislative branch. People need to stop thinking that the President can just bull-doze any legislation in a system of checks and balances.

Tell me, with so many people flat-out against Hillary, and with all of her anti-republican sentiments, how will we ever get anything done should she become president? Some legislators won't support her measures, and she may not sign anything for approval unless its exactly what she wants.

I personally believe that Obama or Edwards would be better at bringing people together across party lines and special interests to act. I'm not against experience, but people aren't giving the Senator and Community Worker enough credit. Furthermore, he has the necessary SKILLS and CHARACTERISTICS to be President. You can have all the experience in the world but still make bad moves or not make much of a difference. That just isn't a strong enough argument, and it certainly shouldn't be the only one.

January 27, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. Lillianne

Well of course it's about race. The Republicans are licking their chops in the hopes that Obama will win the Democratic nomination. We still live in a racially divided society and there are still many white folks who would rather have a Republican (spit, spit, spit) than a black president.

To paraphrase one of Louisiana's most famous politicians, "the Republican nominee will have to be caught in bed with a dead woman or a live boy to lose."

January 27, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  20. About Race

To say that the vote in South Carolina was not swayed by racial pride is outrageous! With 53% of th electorate being Black and Obama getting 81% of the Black votes how could he lose? Come on people, let us being honest. Just a FYI this is coming from a 25 year old Black male in New Jersey.

I think Hillary is the best person for the vote and I hope and believe New Jersey will deliver the votes to her.

Hillary 08

P.S

I could care less what the Kenndys think or whom they endorse

January 27, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  21. MB Nekog

It's always the SAME people with the SAME names joining CNN in sainting Mr. Obama. Absolutely SHAMEFUL. CNN even failed to do a story after Iowa where all THREE of Robert Kennedy's children went straight to NEW HAMPSHIRE to campaign for HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON after Obama's win. In my opinion, that is much more newsworthy than a private citizen (Caroline Kennedy) who has no direct attachment to politics other than her father held the office for 2 years and seven months and who she's supporting.

WAY TO GO, CNN! I spoke with about six of my friends today- of them, three are supporting Obama and three are supporting Hillary. They ALL agreed that CNN is HUGELY biased towards Obama. People are beginning to see this and notice it more often, so you better BACK OFF of OBAMA and begin to cover BOTH candidates equally. Do your job, reporters! Remember what you were taught in school– good journalism requires unbiased, objective coverage of the news!

January 27, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  22. Greg CA

Caroline and her Uncle Ted are endorsing Obama. That's fine. Bobby Kennedy's son, Robert Kennedy Jr, and daughter, Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, have endorsed Hillary. That's fine, as well. Plenty of Kennedys to go around.

January 27, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  23. Sam from VT

Wow! An endorsement by Caroline Kennedy, and Senators Ted Kennedy and John Kerry (both of which may be a liability to Obama). Let's not forget Oprah! How much weight does this have in getting people to jump on a candidate's bandwagon? Really, is this supposed to mean something? Does the media really think we all lack the mentality to think for ourselves and must let celebrities do our thinking for us? Who is Hannah Montana endorsing...anyone know?

January 27, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  24. Katherine

I don't understand people who say Obama doesn't talk about his plans. I just saw him speaking at a rally giving a very detailed account of his plans for social security. I've heard him talk about his healthcare plan. I've heard him talk about his Iraq plans. If you haven't heard him outline his views and plans, you haven't been listening. Better yet, you can read all of his proposals on his website.

January 27, 2008 06:54 pm at 6:54 pm |
  25. Carl

"pink slipper" We have a saying in Canada for the narrow minded " He can't see the forest for the trees" Look around the trees.
    Most of the people in South Carolina were smart enough to see dirty politics
    at work by the Clintons. Good on them.
    Go Obama
    Also, how about this " Obama will get Osama "

Regards,