January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Pam, Tennessee

I'm so glad Caroline is endorsing Obama. Bill Clinton was wrong about South Carolina and if he truely believes his remark, I think he's got a huge surprise waiting after super Tuesday. There are a lot of us whites–here in the south–that will be voting for Obama and we'll be voting for him for the reasons Caroline mentioned. I've read statements in this forum that say Hilary is smart and strong. Hilary is smart, but not near as smart as Obama. And please don't confused the williness to play dirty, decieve, manupulate and what ever it takes to gain power as being strong. People who are so corrupted and so willing to corrupt are not strong–they are weak. It takes a strong person to live by ones convictions.

January 27, 2008 08:59 pm at 8:59 pm |
  2. J.C.T.

here goes the next people in the "snow white house"?
    BARACK OBAMA PRESIDENT
    CAROLINE KENNEDY VICE-PRESIDENT
    TED KENNEDY SECRETARY OF HEALTH
    WHO IS NEXT...

January 27, 2008 09:04 pm at 9:04 pm |
  3. J.C.T.

IM SORRY
    I MEANT

WHITE SNOW HOUSE...
    THE HOUSE OF THE POOR LITLE GIRL?
    CAROLINE KENNEDY ...IN THE SCORPIO ISLAND.. ...

January 27, 2008 09:07 pm at 9:07 pm |
  4. J.C.T.

I'M SORRY
    I MEANT

WHITE SNOW HOUSE...
    THE HOUSE OF THE POOR LITLE GIRL?
    CAROLINE KENNEDY ...IN THE SCORPIO ISLAND.. ...
    THE DESSITIONS OF SAME WOMEN MAKE AMERICANS VERY CRAZY..

January 27, 2008 09:10 pm at 9:10 pm |
  5. J.C.T.

CAROLINE HAVE PEOPLE TOLD YOU ?
    WHY THEY ELIMINATED YOUR FATHER?
    WHY AMERICANS HAVE DON'T CELEBRATE HIS BIRTHDAY?
    WHY NO BODY REMENBERS ANYMORE THE 22 OF NOVEMBER!
    ASK OBAMA HOW MANY TIMES PAID
    RESPECT TO THE GRAVE OF YOUR FATHER!

January 27, 2008 09:14 pm at 9:14 pm |
  6. BANJO

You could tell who is on God's side by the Venom that comes out of the Billary bloggers, God bless Obama.

I love the tone and optimistic approach of Obama supporters they are forward looking and not backward looking folks.

January 27, 2008 09:16 pm at 9:16 pm |
  7. KC Joshua, Portharcourt, Nigeria.

Caroline Kennedy has got a point. Barack Obama, a focused and articulate young Senator has a vision not only for America but for lovers of America and American values, all over the world. God help Obama; God bless America.

January 27, 2008 09:22 pm at 9:22 pm |
  8. ED

to Zavia from fl, you bet obama will bring out the republicans , However they will not vote for Obama. he is the best choice the GOP wanted to return to the white house , congress and plenty of future wars. Naturally there won't be many repubs fighting but there will be plenty of military jobs for the less fortunate and disadvantaged. This man does not have the experience to lead this country at this dangerous time.

January 27, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  9. Frances

Your father is probably turning flip-flops right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obama can't compare to the great JFK I guess you were pretty young and never got to really know him. I am sure he was a great father to you.

January 27, 2008 09:35 pm at 9:35 pm |
  10. J. McKinney SW MO

I can't imagine what you are thinking about, Caroline!

January 27, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  11. Truth about Hillary

Why does everyone think Hillary is so qualified ? If you do your research you'll find out she's not that smart or capable. Check her record. There is a reason why the Kennedys are endorsing Obama. They probably know more about the Clintons than any of us. Hillary is full of scandal !!! Do we want this mess in the white house? Why doesn't she release her sealed records??? If people don't question this then I think thats dumb !!!!

January 27, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  12. Jeff

I have a great idea: Chelsea can run for the House of Representatives this year, In 2012, she can run for her mother's senate seat in NY. By 2016 when Hillary would be leaving the White House, Chelsea would be 36, making her old enough to run for President and replace her mother. Once she could leave office in 2026, I am sure there would be some of Bush's nephews or nieces to run for the office for another 8 years. For all we know the dynastic role of the Clinton vs. Bush could continue longer than the reign of Queen Elizabeth II.

We are not England – and we do not need dynasties!

Obama 08

January 27, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. Truth about Hillary

If Hillary wins get more for lies, scandals, and failures !!!!!

January 27, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. Hillphil

I'm A Republican for Hillary
    Go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

January 27, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  15. Jaime

This endorsement means nothing. I wish people would stop comparing Obama to Kennedy. Obama is not ready to be president. He needs another 8 years in the Senate. Go Hillary!!!

January 27, 2008 10:18 pm at 10:18 pm |
  16. Anne

Thank you very much, Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg. I have always admired Caroline and her late brother, John.

God Bless You. You are some kind of lady.

January 27, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  17. Anne

Ed,

What color is that person to whom you are married? My guess is that you are a Republican or, even worse, a BILLARY supporter.

Only you and your conscience know for sure.

GO OBAMA 2008.

Just for the record, I am a white woman.

January 27, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  18. Elizabeth

I'm observing & listening.....I'm seeing and hearing intelligence, wisdom, truth, substance, and leadership with integrity in Obama. Caroline Kennedy's words of endorsement carry major affirmation for me! Thank you!

January 27, 2008 10:41 pm at 10:41 pm |
  19. Dexter Martin, St. Louis, MO

Thank you Caroline.

I hope your endorsement is complimented by your willingness to serve our nation if asked by a President Obama.

January 27, 2008 10:42 pm at 10:42 pm |
  20. RGV for Hillary

Obama is nothing more than a preacher. All he is doing is manipulating people and they are falling for it. Does he ever talk about the issues? It seems to me that all he is saying is how we need to come together and that we need change. You really can't change the government Barack. He has not convinced me that he is qualified to be president. YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT HIS EXPERIENCE!!! It is simple; he is not ready to be president.

January 27, 2008 11:00 pm at 11:00 pm |
  21. Iowan for Hillary

Hey, they are not posting my Pro-Hillary comments either!

January 27, 2008 11:01 pm at 11:01 pm |
  22. eddie

Obama needs more experiences. After 8 years he may be ready.

January 27, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  23. Anna

I'm disappointed to hear she said that about her father. I think much more highly of him. I lost respect for Caroline today. And as for Ted, I don't think that will do Obama a lot of good, any more than Kerry. The fact that they support Obama, in the end, may help Hillary.

January 27, 2008 11:19 pm at 11:19 pm |
  24. Unemployed Citizen

Mr. Obama is no JFK!

Totally disappointed in Caroline Kennedy and Ted Kennedy.

Hillary Clinton 08

January 28, 2008 12:04 am at 12:04 am |
  25. Ann Jones

Obama is only 14 years younger than Clinton, He's 47 and she's 61. That's not that much of an age difference under the circumstances!

January 28, 2008 12:09 am at 12:09 am |