January 27th, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Obama

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

Caroline Kennedy has endorsed Barack Obama.

(CNN) - In a decision she attributes to "patriotic, political and personal" reasons, former First Daughter Caroline Kennedy is endorsing Barack Obama for president.

In an op-ed in Sunday's New York Times published on the paper's Web site Saturday night, titled "A President Like My Father," Kennedy writes: "It isn't that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960....

"I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans."

Caroline Kennedy's uncle, Massachusetts Sen. Ted Kennedy, has not yet endorsed a candidate in the Democratic presidential race. Her cousin, Robert F. Kennedy Jr., has endorsed Hillary Clinton.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,111 Responses)
  1. Amelia

Wow, because I care what a family of drunks think about who I should vote for.

January 28, 2008 09:45 am at 9:45 am |
  2. Robert

It is hard for me to believe that endorsements from the Kennedy family would include JFK. After all we all knew his faith and were able to make a choice based on that. Does any one know what faith Obama is or if any. I see him holding hands in many black churches but have not seen him in any white Christian church yet. I'm concerned that we are just like sheep following aimlessly down a path because everyone esle is going down it. I for one would like to know our President has some faith based background even if it is not my own. I voted for Kennedy because I felt he would lead the country based on the faith priciples of our for fathers. I would like for the talking heads to ask not where he attends church as we can all attend any church, but where is he a member of a church and for how long. Before I give away our faith based constitution to an unknow I will vote for Hillary. As the old saying goes " a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush......I say vote for Hillary

January 28, 2008 09:48 am at 9:48 am |
  3. dee

Hillary will divide the party

Go Hillary!

GOP will win 08

January 28, 2008 09:55 am at 9:55 am |
  4. Barack Oprah

Do not blame her.
    She just wants to her dad back so badly.
    Oh, poor Caroline. I am so sorry for you.
    But do not make such a mess. You are old enough to grow up.

January 28, 2008 10:06 am at 10:06 am |
  5. Drama

Most of the commentators on this board was a child when JFK was in office and endorse their candidate by voicing their opinion. Caroline is an adult and can endorse anyone she chooses to. How offensive to say "what does she know", she knows more about JFK than anyone.

January 28, 2008 10:10 am at 10:10 am |
  6. Barack Oprah

She is the one who can afford the "HOPE"
    Most people in this country cannot afford that.
    Its not because leadership doen't inspire young generation, but beasuse they have to deal with their REAL LIFE.
    We cannot have that "HOPE" unless we have the brand name like "KENNEDY".
    Then, we can have the "HOPE" because we don't worry about everyday problems such as money, job, healthcare, debt and so..... Because we are KENNEDY. Nothing is wrong in this world.

January 28, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  7. Sherry

We run our households. When we have a problem we turn to each other. The words we are using are the words of men. We’re repeating their words. Why is Hillary so reviled? We as women are the fabric that holds this country together. Men just take the credit. Men in general have deserted us, our children and our parents. We raised those men. We’ve coddled those men. We have stood behind them. It’s time to equal the playing field. Hillary has put up with all of their ribald jokes, attacks on her credibility, and their boiler room approach to the issues that this country faces. I see all the men who have worked in the senate coming out against Hillary and I have to ask myself why? I see men who have ran for president and lost, are against her and I have to ask myself why? I see great women of our time that have always been supported by women coming out against Hillary and I ask why? I see Democrats who have never declared for one candidate or the other, but waited until the primary was done and supported whatever man won, against Hillary. We as women are afraid to even say these things and I ask myself why. Men have no respect for us and some women have bought into their agenda. Of course this is a very sexist thing to say. They have thrown so much male sexism our way they have us living by it and considering it the gospel. Never before in the history of a presidential race has the way someone looked had so much more import, than the way that person thinks. I am tired of hearing about how Hillary’s Campaign keeps attacking those poor men. I am tired of hearing that former president Clinton will be serving four terms if Hillary wins. How dare anyone dismiss her right to have a chance because he was the president? I am tired of the mere suggestion that because he dares to give her what she gave him (loyalty) he is tainting his legacy as a president. She has put forth real solutions to the economy, the war in Iraq, healthcare etc. She knows the nuances of her solutions and she gives details. This race is no longer about the issues our country faces because the men have no comprehensive answer to Hillary’s real solutions, her intellect and her ability to stay on point, in the face of such adversity scares the hell out of men and some women. We have got to elect a woman for president. Why not now? If men do not think this woman is qualified then they think no women will ever be. She has all the goods. She is well known throughout the world. She will take a lot of power to Washington because we will be standing proudly behind her. No I do not agree with everything she says. I have voted for men that I did not agree with on all the issues but I guess that’s ok. She has to be twice as good as all the other candidates and she is.

January 28, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  8. votehillary2008

Who cares what Caroline thinks? That's her opinion. She was too young to remember her father's presidency. Bobby's kids support Hillary. I support Hillary. She is the best candidate.

January 28, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  9. Ike

What Caroline and her uncle does mean nothing to me. I have a mind and will make a decision for myself. I don't need a Kennedy or anyone else telling me what and who to vote for. Her endorsement means nothing to this independent thinker!

January 28, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  10. Kelly

Want to know why Obama "sounds like" JFK in his speeches?? Maybe because JFK's speech writer writes all of Obama's speeches.... there's still a huge difference, however... JFK had substance.

January 28, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  11. norb

How stupid. The privalege few. Her grandfather made his money bootlegging booze. Her uncle Ted the alcoholic who killed that girl while driving over the bridge. Even her dad, may God rest his soul, was a womanizer. Happy birthday Mr. President...............Everybody thinks Bill Clinton was this horrible womanizer. The Kennedy's are clueless. Ted you couldn't win the Democratic nomination when you ran. All that baggage. Now you side with John Kerry a guy who couldn't beat a guy named George Bush. How pathetic. Give em hell Hillary.

January 28, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  12. AJ, IL

Younger Americans that are capable of accessing information quickly are more informed that older Americans that only get their news from TV and the local newspaper.

What voters are not asking themselves is why are the old Democratic Party Guard coming out to endorse Obama over Hillary? Are they racists or sexists for not endorsing Hillary? I think not. I believe they see an opportunity for the Democratic Party to move ahead to the next generation.

FIRED UP! READY TO GO! YES WE CAN! FIRED UP! READY TO GO! YES WE CAN!

Obama in 08!

January 28, 2008 11:32 am at 11:32 am |
  13. marlene

I know JFK well, having listened to his debates with Nixon, his biography by Arthur Schlesinger, seen the TV coverage of his handling the Cuban missile crisis,etc. Obama is vastly inferior to JFK. It is foolhardy to compare Obama with JFK.

January 28, 2008 11:33 am at 11:33 am |
  14. TJ

Sherry – well said! I agree with you 100%.

January 28, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  15. Cliff

Congressman Clyburn is NOT neutral. There is nothing wrong for Congressman Clyburn to perform his civic duty by voting for Senator Obama a the polling place. However, Congressman Clyburn is disingenuous for manipulating the press (particularly Joe Scarborough) to wrongly accuse the Clintons of playing the race card.

I witness Congressman Clyburn used Joe Scarborough of the Morning Joe shown on the S.C. election day. On this particular show Congressman Clyburn implied that the Clintons' "fairy tale" and "MLK/Johnson" comments are "RACIALLY MOTIVATED code words. Joe Scarborough stupidly bought Congressman Clyburn race-bait's trick.

January 28, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  16. mike

Her mother, Jackie Kennedy, who likely would have stayed above the fray, would likely support Hillary. There are many recorded instances of her being impressed by Hillary. I just wish that Hillary would be more evident on the campaign trail. She's the one who's going to fix the country and leave it a better place and in the hands of Obama in '16.

January 28, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  17. marlene

Caroline's Obama endorsement does not affect my pro-Hillary vote at all.

January 28, 2008 11:59 am at 11:59 am |
  18. Chris

Billary = divisiveness and giving our country over to Global Leadership.

Obama = Positive direction for the country.

January 28, 2008 12:05 pm at 12:05 pm |
  19. Barack Oprah

To be honest, Obama's speech writer is the one who will unite this country and will carry "HOPE" and "GOOD change" to us, but not Obama.
    The speech writer should run and it is the one who deserves what Obama is getting now.
    I will pick Oprah over Obama.

January 28, 2008 12:31 pm at 12:31 pm |
  20. Stamford

Wow...Is Caroline for real ? The Kennedys have been a part of the political machinery for generations. They are not agents of change. Senator Obama is glad about this endorsement?

I don't know what she is thinking, but Senator Obama is no JFK.

January 28, 2008 12:38 pm at 12:38 pm |
  21. dee

NOW Hillary fights for the rights of the voters of Florida, one day later after getting her hind parts walloped in S.C. on Saturday.

Why didn't she speak up for them last year when the rules were being set? 2007?? More BIllary Tactics LOL

Obama 08

January 28, 2008 12:43 pm at 12:43 pm |
  22. Stacy Clarks, Texas

OMABA 08!!!!!!!!!

Am i the only one who has been reading that Republicas will NOT vote for Hillary, but they will vote for Obama. People wake up, if we do nto want another Bush-like term, PLEASE VOTE FOR OBAMA!!!!!!!!

January 28, 2008 12:51 pm at 12:51 pm |
  23. MA

There is no way to unite Americans we spend most of our time thinking about our differences and judging from the strong feelings of some of the post above we have a long way to go.

January 28, 2008 12:52 pm at 12:52 pm |
  24. karen

Caroline Kennedy's endorsement of Obama is frankly AWESOME. It may be proof, and it gives me hope, that The Hillary & Bill show is coming to an end. Their business as usual is depressing, and drags down my hope for a powerful, and energetic America. I don't trust the Clintons, and I think they are mean spirited. Listening to Bill the last couple of weeks, makes me wonder if he is trying to sabotage Hillary, but I don't care. It's karma. I Live in California, voted for Bush in the last two elections, a woman, and my family is Republican. Since yesterday I have started to hope again that America will unite, and turn on to what makes us all special, and propel us to be, and act our best. Obama has giving us this promise, it's his gift.

January 28, 2008 01:04 pm at 1:04 pm |
  25. faith

I was initially very enthused when Barack Obama announced his candidacy. The "present" votes were logically explained. However, please explain his lack of backbone when he failed to take a senate vote, which added Iran's revolutionary guard on the list of terrorist organizations. Thus, giving Bush more power to go to war with Iran. His excuse was that he was "on the campaign trail". Dodd, Biden and Clinton took time away from their campaigns to vote on this very important issue. I, like so many others, did not agree with Clinton's vote but at least she had the backbone to vote.

January 28, 2008 01:13 pm at 1:13 pm |